V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 18, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #22,936 of 23,366
Hey guys.. I'm having a bit of trouble with my m100 right now. Both screws on the left ear fell off. My left cup is now detached from the headphone (other than the cable) and one of the screws is missing.

Another problem is that I can't get the cable to come out of the headphone which makes it harder to safely put it in the box and send it back.

I was wondering if any of you knew what kind of screws are on the headphone and what kind of screwdriver I'd need to put everything back in place. I read this in a reddit post but I'm not sure if it's correct and couldn't find anything else about it

"You need a 1.6mm screw with a 3.0mm shaft.

Something like this: http://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/Socket-Head-Cap-Screw-1-6MM-A2-Stainless-Steel-p/5000000.htm "

If anyone could help me that would be nice. Sending it back can take weeks or even 1-2 months

Yikes.. that's an odd issue to happen, sorry to hear that. I have heard in the past V-Moda has been reluctant to release specs of their screws. You could try asking V-moda support if they will tell you the screws.

I have tools out the ying-yang so I will see if anything I have works for the stock screws tonight.

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #22,937 of 23,366
Hey guys.. I'm having a bit of trouble with my m100 right now. Both screws on the left ear fell off. My left cup is now detached from the headphone (other than the cable) and one of the screws is missing.

Another problem is that I can't get the cable to come out of the headphone which makes it harder to safely put it in the box and send it back.

I was wondering if any of you knew what kind of screws are on the headphone and what kind of screwdriver I'd need to put everything back in place. I read this in a reddit post but I'm not sure if it's correct and couldn't find anything else about it

"You need a 1.6mm screw with a 3.0mm shaft.

Something like this: http://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/Socket-Head-Cap-Screw-1-6MM-A2-Stainless-Steel-p/5000000.htm "

If anyone could help me that would be nice. Sending it back can take weeks or even 1-2 months

I know the hex tool they send along with custom shield kits fits the hex screws on the CliqFold hinges. If you don't have a spare shield kit I can send a few screws and a tool your way.

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #22,938 of 23,366

Yikes.. that's an odd issue to happen, sorry to hear that. I have heard in the past V-Moda has been reluctant to release specs of their screws. You could try asking V-moda support if they will tell you the screws.

I have tools out the ying-yang so I will see if anything I have works for the stock screws tonight.

I know the hex tool they send along with custom shield kits fits the hex screws on the CliqFold hinges. If you don't have a spare shield kit I can send a few screws and a tool your way.

Thanks for the help guys! If it's true that the spare shield kit includes the screws then I'll just order a spare kit and use those screws to repair my headphone. Thanks a lot for the offer too, but I don't think it's practical since I live in Europe.

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #22,939 of 23,366
Thanks for the help guys! If it's true that the spare shield kit includes the screws then I'll just order a spare kit and use those screws to repair my headphone. Thanks a lot for the offer too, but I don't think it's practical since I live in Europe.

One thing to note is the screws that come with custom shields may or may not have a sharp point at the end. I don't think the CliqFold hinges make contact with my head, but having pointy metal bits aimed at your head is not ideal. It's possible you may receive flat screws or even have some already installed on your stock shields. Good luck with your repair!

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #22,940 of 23,366
Hallo guys.. i did buy a V-MODA crossfade m100.. and have connect them to my onboard sound card (have a MSI Z170A gaming m5 motherboard). Does someone know if i can get better sound with a sound card or external sound card? Does someone has the m100 with msi motherboard and Nahimic software.. if yes.. how did you set up all the stuff there?

Edit: When i connect the SpeakEasy Mic Cable to SharePlay Audio Cable and then to PC.. do i get the same quility sound and same loudness.. when i connect it with SharePlay Cable only ?

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #22,941 of 23,366
  Hallo guys.. i did buy a V-MODA crossfade m100.. and have connect them to my onboard sound card (have a MSI Z170A gaming m5 motherboard). Does someone know if i can get better sound with a sound card or external sound card? Does someone has the m100 with msi motherboard and Nahimic software.. if yes.. how did you set up all the stuff there?

Edit: When i connect the SpeakEasy Mic Cable to SharePlay Audio Cable and then to PC.. do i get the same quility sound and same loudness.. when i connect it with SharePlay Cable only ?

First question, that board does seem to have a pretty good audio decoder, I don't see a reason you would need an AMP or audio card to enhance your experience. Though Amp-ing will always add to your experience no matter what, MORE POWER, ARGH, ARGH (wow im old) anyhow..

Clarification, please, on your 'edit' question are you using the speakeasy cable with shareplay cable as like a Y cable to 2 different headphones? I am trying to understand the use for when you are plugging one cable in to the other to advise (I have messed around with it a bit in a few different configurations). Look @ my avatar, are you plugging them together to make the cable go to both ports? I don't want to answer without knowing exactly what you mean.

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #22,942 of 23,366
If i can get better quality sound even little (5-10%).. i will buy a amp or sound card.

I have connect the SpeakEasy Mic Cable to Headphones and the other end to SharePlay Audio Cable (to have more length) because i am little more away from my PC and i need a longer cable. I hope you understand it if not i will make a picture

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #22,943 of 23,366
  If i can get better quality sound even little (5-10%).. i will buy a amp or sound card.

I have connect the SpeakEasy Mic Cable to Headphones and the other end to SharePlay Audio Cable (to have more length) because i am little more away from my PC and i need a longer cable. I hope you understand it if not i will make a picture

Understood. I feel like the connections could potentially add small amounts of interference you may never even notice. Just a thought, If it doesn't seem to effect you I don't see why you should change anything.

I would say if you are happy with the sound you have "if its not broken don't fix it" type deal. But, if you feel like there is more to gain from your experience, than absolutely I would say do it.

If you are concerned about possible interference from the interconnecting wires to add length, you can always purchase extra long third party cables that are not very expensive (though V-moda's extended cables are actually highly regarded as being one of the best but the shareplay cable I believe is the same length, they just don't have the little Y section).

Edit: I run my headphones with the V-moda boom pro mic with my xbox one right through the controller no amp and I get loud/clear enough sound to enjoy any shooter with accurate sound-location on footsteps, I admit the quality could be better, but im using a wireless controller, not using my optical out for the sound either.

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #22,944 of 23,366

Understood. I feel like the connections could potentially add small amounts of interference you may never even notice. Just a thought, If it doesn't seem to effect you I don't see why you should change anything.

I would say if you are happy with the sound you have "if its not broken don't fix it" type deal. But, if you feel like there is more to gain from your experience, than absolutely I would say do it.

If you are concerned about possible interference from the interconnecting wires to add length, you can always purchase extra long third party cables that are not very expensive (though V-moda's extended cables are actually highly regarded as being one of the best but the shareplay cable I believe is the same length, they just don't have the little Y section).

Edit: I run my headphones with the V-moda boom pro mic with my xbox one right through the controller no amp and I get loud/clear enough sound to enjoy any shooter with accurate sound-location on footsteps, I admit the quality could be better, but im using a wireless controller, not using my optical out for the sound either.

I am trying to find someone who can say me with what soundcard/amp/dac i can get more out of my V-Moda M-100.. if i even can get better then this now. You are the third person that said "your onboard sound card is good enough". Something inside me says that maybe i should search little more for my answer, maybe someone did try with some sound cards/amps/dac's and got little/or little more.. better sound quality on his M-100 then on his onboard sound card.

Will try to search little the topic here, maybe i find somewhat. But still.. thank you for your time and help

Edit: Are the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless the same sound quality when wired in comparison with V-Moda Crossfade M-100 sound ?

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #22,945 of 23,366

Edit: Are the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless the same sound quality when wired in comparison with V-Moda Crossfade M-100 sound ?

From what I was able to collect it ends up being a more balanced sound with less bass. Closer to neutral sounding, but not exactly neutral, still the m100 sound signature overall.
The wireless sound is supposed to be closer to the M100 sound, but as V-moda puts it more "refined" where the wired mode cuts out some of the digital processing power the wireless mode incorporates and loses some bass.

There is a thread for the Crossfade wireless and many of those guys have owned both sets to compare. I would suggest checking it out.

(Edit: fixed typos)

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #22,946 of 23,366
From what I was able to collect it ends up being a more balanced sound with less bass. Closer to neutral sounding, but not exactly neutral, still the m100 sound signature overall.
The wireless sound is supposed to be closer to the M100 sound, but as V-moda puts it more "refined" where the wired mode cuts out some of the digital processing power the wireless mode incorporates and loses some bass.

There is a thread for the Crossfade wireless and many of those guys have owned both sets to compare. I would suggest checking it out.

(Edit: fixed typos)

Tyll thought the opposite on innerfidelity.

Then he talked about its uneven-ness

If anything the wireless is more bassy

That said i havent tried the cross fade wireless

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #22,947 of 23,366
Well, last week on January 23rd marked the two-year anniversary of the purchase of my first pair of V-Moda Crossfade M-100 headphones.

--------------------------
You can click the spoiler below to read my one-year anniversary post (from 2016), also at this link.

Quote:
  Today, January 23rd, is a special day.

It was one year ago today -- at the Houston airport on the way in to the U.S. to visit family -- that I bought my first pair of V-Moda Crossfade M-100 headphones at a Brookstone store there (after comparing prices online). My old, fake pair of “Beats by Dr. Dre” headphones that I got at a cheap electronics market in Chongqing that previous fall had kept breaking on me, so I decided to get a genuine pair of V-Moda M-100s after hearing a lot of great things about them on the Internet.

Little did I know that this would be the first step in a lonnnng journey that would improve my portable headphone system so much that, today -- one year later -- my system sounds so amazingly incredible...that if you compared the way it used to sound -- even during my visit to the U.S. last winter -- the sound would be absolutely and completely unrecognizable.

So...10 days after getting back to Chongqing in late February last year, at a local hi-fi shop I bought my first portable headphone amplifier (the FiiO E12A) that was tethered to my iPod Classic. It sounded awesome and I thought I “had it made,”...until March 20th when discovering something on the user forums at the website Head-Fi.org: a discovery of something that turned out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread that would alter the course of my history forever: Rockbox firmware for the iPod Classic.

This free, open-source, downloadable firmware enables me to use Notepad on my computer to program and organize a virtually-infinite number of custom equalizer (EQ) presets for my iPod with a huge decibel (dB) range and a “precut” feature to prevent distortion from it. I didn’t go out of my apartment for the next four days I was so glued to it, and programmed my first set of nearly 200 EQ presets with huge bass increments!  I also created a .zip file with these presets, and uploaded them to the Internet so people at the Head-Fi forum could download and use them on their own Rockboxed music players.

About two weeks later (in early April) I realized that the portable amp I had didn’t quite have enough power to push these huge sub-bass increments, so I went back to the hi-fi shop and got a different amp -- the Cayin C5 -- that had more than twice the power of the old one, which I’m still using to this day.

In late May I made some major discoveries about the EQ (in the beloved Rockbox firmware on the iPod), and figured out how to make it sound so completely out-of-this-world I didn’t even know what hit me. So I spent several days overhauling the EQ presets and created “Version 2.0” with exactly 300 of them! I also wrote a long user guide about them during the first week of June (on the Head-Fi forum) and included the new zip-file upload with it.

A couple weeks later in June, I went to the hi-fi shop and bought a second pair of genuine V-Moda M-100 headphones (which was a white pair to go with my existing black pair), and a second Cayin C5 portable headphone amp to go with it – for the purpose of enjoying my music with friends. We could listen to the same song together from my iPod with the same sound quality, and my friend could turn down her own volume on her own amp if she thought it was too loud -- while I could still jam with mine cranked up at the same time!

Well, in late November I rediscovered a large bass-boost feature in Rockbox that I had overlooked and forgotten about, which was totally separate from the EQ. This prompted me to spend the following two weeks of my spare time (until mid-December) reorganizing and improving my EQ presets to work with this bass-boost feature, adding new options, and omitting redundant ones...to give me “Version 3.0” with further-improved sound, and with 2 sets of more than 400 presets.

I made some minor corrections to it early this month (in January) to make it sound the way it should, thereby creating Version 3.1.  I also spent a lot of time re-writing the user guide (for the first time since June) to go with it.

But Version 3.1 didn’t last long, either. Just one week ago I spent all day and all night re-organizing it so it’s easier to use, and added some new categories for “special cases”...to come out with the brand-new, latest Version 4.0!  (It now has 2 sets of 590 presets.)  I re-wrote parts of the user guide a few days later, and re-posted it just in time for the 1-year anniversary of the purchase of my first pair of V-Moda M-100 headphones! 
beyersmile.png

If you’re wondering,...even that big car stereo I had in my last car many years ago...can’t even hold a candle to this portable headphone system I’ve got now. 
cool.gif

So,...that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it! You can view the “complete user guide” to Version 4.0 of these illustrious EQ presets by clicking on the following link:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/795363/discoprojoe-s-rockbox-eq-presets-version-4-0-complete-user-guide

And so,...one year after getting my first pair of M-100s, as a hardcore V-Moda Crossfade M-100 fanboy inside and out, I can happily say...Thank you, Val Kolton ( @valkolton ), for putting out the most awesome headphones in the world. 
smily_headphones1.gif

There's also a follow-up post I made a day after that, which you can open below (and also can read at this 2nd link).

Quote:

A year ago at that Brookstone store the Houston airport, I remember one of the main songs in my music collection that I used to sample the M-100 model on display there was the Karaoke Version of Utada Hikaru's "Beautiful World." (It's especially a great tune to enjoy while looking out an airplane window.)

With my old, fake Beats headphones (and the even-cheaper Skullcandy and Radio Shack ones I had before those), I would typically use one of the simple V-shaped EQ presets on my iPod Classic (in the original Apple firmware). It was non-customizable, so I usually chose the "Jazz" or "Rock" presets.

So when trying out the V-Modas at the Brookstone store on that day, I remember immediately turning off that EQ (and setting it to flat), since the M-100s had so much better treble and bass than any of my old headphones. I remember thinking, "Wow! I don't even hardly ever need to use the 'Jazz' or 'Rock' presets to boost the treble anymore. Cool!"

So earlier this evening (today), I was listening to "Beautiful World" again -- this time while using the DiscoProJoe Rockbox EQ Preset "Ultra Lite Less Treble 0." It had a massively-throbbing low end, spectacular soundstage without coloration of the upper midbass or lower midrange, decent highs, and the song seemed to wrap all the way around me as I could notice every part of the music.

By contrast, I then decided to see how far I'd come in the last year.

I turned off the EQ and bass boost feature in Rockbox and set everything to flat, turned off the Cayin C5 portable amp, and plugged my pair of M-100s directly into the iPod to hear that same song again -- with a practically-identical sound signature to the one that had "wowed" me a year earlier.

My impression of it, now, with this song? Very, very little sub-bass, bloated midbass and lower midrange that sounds "colored" and drowns out other parts of the music, no soundstage or wrap-around sound, but the highs still sounded OK. Overall, a very boring and weak sound.

And so I thought, "Holy cow,...I actually thought this sounded great a year ago!" 
eek.gif

ph34r.gif

blink.gif

Maybe I've unknowingly become...an.........audiophile........over the last year? 
confused_face_2.gif

But maybe just a weird kind of one, though,...as I don't actually consider myself one. 
wink.gif

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

Oh well,...just some fun musings for this 1-year anniversary with my V-Moda headphones!

Anyway, a lot has happened in my headphone world since late January 2016. I made a long, 43-minute video last June, detailing my extreme EQ presets and portable headphone system on YouTube, and on the Chinese video site YouKu, after a lot of preparation.

I also came out with a further-improved Version 4.1 of DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets in December, after experimenting with the equalizer's parametric settings. In all the presets, I changed the lowest frequency band from 32 Hz to 40 Hz, and steepened that particular band's slope rate slightly, from its default 0.7 Q...to 0.9 Q.

The result has been a much-more solid-sounding sub-bass, along with further-improved soundstage and musical detail in the midrange as well.

(In December, after releasing this update, I put out a short video on YouTube and YouKu, mentioning this improvement.)

To sum it up and clarify, I can boost the low-end sub-bass around 40 Hz by as much as 62 dB with everything combined in the system -- while sounding crisp and clear at the same time when choosing a suitable EQ preset for the song that's playing. (There are 2 sets of 590 custom presets to choose from, which I've uploaded to the Internet so anyone with a Rockboxable music player can download and use them for free.) This is with my Rockboxed iPod Classic, two pair of V-Moda M-100s, and two Cayin C5 portable headphone amps. (Each pair of cans gets its own amp.)

But anyway -- moving on -- one of the most exciting new interests for me in the last year has been...my plans to start attending Head-Fi meetups when the chances come. I started browsing the meetups section of this forum last July, and realized I can meet a lot of decent people, check out their equipment, and especially...can show off my stuff at my own table!

This seems like a huge contrast to dealing with the many jerks and trolls that are often encountered online. It's also in a place where people can actually hear each other's equipment, instead of just posting about it. I personally don't post as much on these forums now as I did back in 2015 / early 2016, but luckily, the in-person gatherings have been sparking my interest recently.

So...with much excitement, I'm really looking forward to attending the New York spring meetup on Saturday, June 10, 2017! (Click that link for details. You also can view photos of last year's New York meetup at this other link.)

If any of you plan to come, then you can just plug your own pair of M-100s (or V-Moda Crossfade Wireless) into my dual-listening setup, and you won't need to use one of my pair.

Let me reiterate that I designed DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets specifically for the V-Moda M-100 headphones. So if you have a chance to swing by Long Island, New York, this coming June, then you can enjoy hearing how incredibly amazing your M-100s can actually sound -- and with any type of music to go with it.

I'm not sure if V-Moda will be attending this meetup with their own vendor tables, but if so, then I would just love to see Val Kolton plug his pair of gold-studded M-100s into my dual-listening setup, and watch the look on his face!
atsmile.gif

Oh well,...just thought I'd "check in" here on this M-100 topic thread around this two-year anniversary -- of purchasing the greatest headphones in the world.

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #22,949 of 23,366
  Are the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless the same sound quality when wired in comparison with V-Moda Crossfade M-100 sound?

When my dad visited me here last fall, he brought along his pair of Crossfade Wireless that I bought him for Christmas in 2015. I hooked it up to my dual-listening setup (with extreme EQ presets and two Cayin C5 amps), and A-B'ed it back and forth between my M-100s.

I really couldn't notice any difference in the sound quality. So, the CFW just seems to be an M-100 with a wireless option, but without the Cliqfold.

If you never plan to use any wireless functions, then you should definitely get the M-100, instead of the CFW.

My dad only uses the wireless function with his iPhone via Bluetooth, and he loves it.

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #22,950 of 23,366
  Is it weird for the Momentum 2.0 (Wireless, but used with a wire) to have stronger sub-bass than the M-100?

Seems pretty weird to me. A few months ago I went to my local hi-fi shop and tested out a lot of different headphones with my portable rig. The Momentum 2.0 gave me a bunch of driver distortion with my extreme setup. Now, of course, that wasn't quite as bad as bottoming out with the beat and going, "Snap, crackle, pop," as the Beats Studio Wireless (and Sennheiser HD 650) did, but,...oh well!

Now, I didn't try the Momentum 2.0 with my EQ and bass boosts all turned off, so maybe next time, I can compare the Momentum's sound to my M-100s that way, and see whether the Momentum has more sub-bass sensitivity than the M-100 or not. I doubt it does, but I can try and see next time. But one thing that's obvious is,...the power handling and X-max of the Momentum's drivers...just can't cut it if you're doing extreme EQ'ing and amping.

As I like to say, if you're doing extreme EQ'ing and amping, then............Beats can't handle the beat, and Senns can't handle the sound.  
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back