V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Mar 16, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #19,321 of 23,366
Dell does it with every computer they ship. They stress-test everything they build for several days prior to boxing and shipping. So does Apple. So does HP. And probably every other reputable computer manufacturer. It's not silly. It identifies faulty components prior to shipping which saves the companies time and money on dead on arrival and early mortality returns.

Stress test != constant actual running

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #19,322 of 23,366
Stress test != constant actual running

That's precisely what it is. They load up something like Prime95 and let it run for days under constant, full load. I say "something like" because Dell has their own suite of tools. The results are the same: every part of the system run up to full load and kept there for days. Dell used to have cameras in their factories so you could see custom orders being assembled and the racks upon racks of test stations. I don't know if they still do that.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #19,323 of 23,366
See what I mean about the sound? It's just... DAMN! Btw, I'm curious what you're using it with? Since the Verza has 2 DACs and iPhones use a different DAC than Android/PC and I've only heard the Android/PC DAC.
I don't know if I already asked this but doesn't the verza have some exclusive features for iPhone? I have an android phone and I don't know if I should get a verza or stick with my fiio e18

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #19,324 of 23,366
I don't know if I already asked this but doesn't the verza have some exclusive features for iPhone? I have an android phone and I don't know if I should get a verza or stick with my fiio e18

It has an iPhone specific DAC in it (in addition to a standard one), but I don't think it has any iPhone specific FEATURES. I can't speak on Verza vs e18, though. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #19,325 of 23,366
Any good cables on Amazon? I'm putting together an order and would prefer to have it all there, LOL. 

Again, no mic/controls because I'm using it with a Verza, which means the buttons won't work anyway. :p

You know I keep checking there website and the only one I see is the .2mm one. How do you order a 4 foot one? Do you just contact them?

Here's what I bought...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00AZ7XVZO/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #19,328 of 23,366

There is one small difference between iPhone/Android; Bass Boost.

The button works for both devices, but a little differently. On iPhone, pressing it toggles Bass Boost or this 3D surround effect (supposed to be used with speaker systems and cars, not headphones) whereas Android only gets the 3D surround. Val said the effect the Bass Boost has on iPhone is very slight and it might be there to compensate for the different DACs the Verza uses.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #19,329 of 23,366
  There is one small difference between iPhone/Android; Bass Boost.

The button works for both devices, but a little differently. On iPhone, pressing it toggles Bass Boost or this 3D surround effect (supposed to be used with speaker systems and cars, not headphones) whereas Android only gets the 3D surround. Val said the effect the Bass Boost has on iPhone is very slight and it might be there to compensate for the different DACs the Verza uses.

The boost isn't slight. It's just not really that useful, LOL. I turn it on only, and I mean ONLY, for bass-heavy rap. It is not a good feature elsewhere.

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #19,331 of 23,366
  Do you guys think the IHP-35 and IHP-35B cables will work for the m100?

http://www.adl-av.com/products/cables/headphone/

The jack looks much too wide to fit inside the housing on the M-100.

Look at the size of the jack on the CoilPro and Speakeasy cable compared to those.

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #19,332 of 23,366
here is probably not a lot we can do to prove that burn in is real, but you can't prove that it is not real either.

Putting my "money" where my keyboard is:
http://blog.shure.com/shure-notes/inside-headphones-with-yuri-shulman-shure-engineer/

Shure: Here’s something we hear pretty often – that headphones require a ‘burn in period’. What about it?

Yuri Shulman: This is more myth than fact. Some people make the argument that the driver’s suspension could be a little unsettled when the headphones are brand new.

At Shure we don’t subscribe to that thinking – again, what could be true for some loudspeakers (where there can be a 100-hour or so burn-in period) doesn’t directly apply here. It’s a matter of perception. Shure headphones sound the same a year after using them as they did brand new.​

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #19,333 of 23,366
Putting my "money" where my keyboard is:
http://blog.shure.com/shure-notes/inside-headphones-with-yuri-shulman-shure-engineer/ Shure: Here’s something we hear pretty often – that headphones require a ‘burn in period’. What about it?

Yuri Shulman: This is more myth than fact. Some people make the argument that the driver’s suspension could be a little unsettled when the headphones are brand new.

At Shure we don’t subscribe to that thinking – again, what could be true for some loudspeakers (where there can be a 100-hour or so burn-in period) doesn’t directly apply here. It’s a matter of perception. Shure headphones sound the same a year after using them as they did brand new.

Highlighted that because I'm pretty sure that's how it all started. Big drivers that have a lot of mechanical movement do need time to burn-in. Actually on subwoofers you can even smell excess glue burning off and curing when they're new. It makes sense that on a little 50mm driver (or less) it's not a real factor. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #19,334 of 23,366

Highlighted that because I'm pretty sure that's how it all started. Big drivers that have a lot of mechanical movement do need time to burn-in. Actually on subwoofers you can even smell excess glue burning off and curing when they're new. It makes sense that on a little 50mm driver (or less) it's not a real factor. 

We have measurements (from Rin and Tyll) showing that burn in reduces distortion...  It does something.  I don't think anyone has tested it on a BA-based IEM yet though.  But it has moving units (arms), and the multi-driver ones have multiple... 

Mar 16, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #19,335 of 23,366
But it is still a factor, little or not.

That's more likely a manufacturer covering their back from Jimmy sending back his 100hr IEM's because they haven't burned-in the same as 100hr Johnny.

It's a mechanical device, therefore it wears in, is optimum, then wears out. Whether the process is audible to the human ear is up for discussion, not the process itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back