V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Jan 24, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #18,226 of 23,366
There is no hard fact, but most people, including myself, think it uses the ES9023.

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #18,227 of 23,366
There's some space underneath the XL pads but there isn't as much play. Then again, you shouldn't need the mod with the XL pads.

If the twisted paper towel mod isn't sufficient then I recommend trying the rope trick version. Quarter-inch nylon rope is more resistant to crushing. Cut to 1.5-2" lengths, bond the ends with a little heat to keep them from fraying, and stuff under the upper and lower angles of the pads.

I have no idea about the lead times on the black pads.

Speaking of mods, the XL pads do have a little boominess about them (kudos to Val and V-Moda for keeping it to a minimum) so I've been experimenting with covering the bass ports to rein that in. Completely sealing them with electrical tape works too well (imagine that). I'm currently trying paper medical tape. One layer seems good for my industrial and EBM, two layers seem better for rock and metal.

I just remembered a way to get red pads to match the Shadow trim: sock mod.
smily_headphones1.gif

How about covering only one or two of the bass ports with electric tape?  I guess I should try it on my M-100 with XL pads...

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #18,228 of 23,366
How about covering only one or two of the bass ports with electric tape?  I guess I should try it on my M-100 with XL pads...

That can work, too. It's all about adjusting the volume and velocity of air moving through the bass ports without completely blocking that airflow which can damage the driver, although I believe that is unlikely in most headphones, and it sounds terrible. You can use pretty much any porous material or partial covering. Experiment. Tape different materials over the ports: tissue, napkins, bits of fabric, cotton gauze, copy paper. Find something that sounds good to you and is thin enough to fit underneath the shields for a tidy appearance once you've decided on a permanent material.

I've spent the past two days with two layers of Johnson & Johnson paper tape inside the shields, some 12-14 hours of music: rock, metal, industrial and EDM, and the only times I found myself really wanting any extra EQ was to compensate for commuter train noise. The white color showing through the ports is kind of meh, though it might look good with the white M-100's and dark shields. Perhaps a red marker will fix that.

Or maybe V-MODA will come up with some kind of active lighting system. :)

Sock mod is off for now. There's not enough rim around the cups for socks to hold onto. They just slide off.

(edit: corrected V-MODA's trademark name)

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #18,230 of 23,366
i've used 3m transpore tape to adjust the bass on a pair of sennheisers, I bet it would work good for the m100's as well.  It is almost clear so it would be very hard to see through the ports. When I get my m100's and XL pads I will test it out. 

here is the tape I have
http://www.3m.com/product/information/Transpore-Surgical-Tape.html

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #18,231 of 23,366
I've used 3m transpore medical tape to recover bass ports on a pair of sennheiser hd428's and it worked very well, I bet the trans pore tape would work great for the m100 as well. It is also pretty clear so it should hide behind the shield pretty well.

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #18,232 of 23,366
Or maybe V-Moda will come up with some kind of active lighting system.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sock mod is off for now. There's not enough rim around the cups for socks to hold onto. They just slide off.

Can you try?  We don't have the time for the lighting system as we are busy making all the new products BUT we want to see some mods.  If it works, we'll sell it on our site somehow!!!

Thanks for the tips.  It's cool that the shields can be used to make this simple mod invisible, and it does not require opening up the earpieces or any internal change, either.  

Keep on modding... we'll make an official mod page on our site.  I REALLY encourage mods, I used to modify every car/bike/Radio Control thing I could get my hand on. This is the V-MODA spirit.  After I got a Ducati at 23 years old I took apart my Suzuki GSX-R600 at my rented apartment garage in San Diego when V-MODA was "Kolton Technology".  It was COMPLETELY disassembled and I couldn't put it back together again.  I wish I had a picture of it.  It was hard to explain to management what happened!  

FULL UPDATE TO EVERYBODY COMING TOMORROW... LOOK OUT!

QUICK QUESTION - what side do you plug cable into?  A future model has a strange feature so I need to know...

Quick fun pic we made for our internal creative staff after we did the shoot at the Forums, we weren't going to make this picture public as it is a bit out there for the general public. But, in the spirit of the Forums/Colosseum I thought some people on the forums may like it.

So here it is for you exclusively:

Cheers,

Val

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #18,233 of 23,366
Can you try?  We don't have the time for the lighting system as we are busy making all the new products BUT we want to see some mods.  If it works, we'll sell it on our site somehow!!!

Here's the paper tape mod side on:

I don't think I'm up for a lighting mod myself but maybe I know how to get started: remove the shield, remove the mesh covering the opening in the outer shell, and install some LEDs in that little cavity, and then use some kind of semi-transparent tape to cover the shield vents and diffuse the light. Power is a problem. LEDs require more power to generate visible light than a typical headphone jack provides.

The poor man's version: glow in the dark or UV-reactive marker.

I had an idea for the sock mod: use the pivot pins to hold the sock in place. Here's a proof of concept:

Cotton sport sock material, even from thin socks like this, are too thick to work well. It binds the pivot pins and takes up too much space inside the pads. Something more sheer like dress socks or maybe even nylon stockings should work better but I have neither to play with.

I use the left side headphone jack. Shirt and jacket pockets are typically on the left side and that's where my players go.

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #18,235 of 23,366
QUICK QUESTION - what side do you plug cable into?  A future model has a strange feature so I need to know...

Left side for me too. I actually hate it when headphones exclusively have a right-side cable entry, which is why the M-100's ability to let the wearer choose is so nice.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #18,238 of 23,366
I am planning on buying the V-Moda M-100s, as I want headphones that I can use for all of my audio needs.  That means that I will also be using them for PC gaming.  Can anyone recommend to me the best sound card for these specific headphones?  One that will provide great sound for music, as well as allow for positional audio.  Thats all I need to know, thanks in advance!

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #18,239 of 23,366
  I am planning on buying the V-Moda M-100s, as I want headphones that I can use for all of my audio needs.  That means that I will also be using them for PC gaming.  Can anyone recommend to me the best sound card for these specific headphones?  One that will provide great sound for music, as well as allow for positional audio.  Thats all I need to know, thanks in advance!

No special DAC or sound card require, just use Razer Surround along with the BoomPro Mic cable and you are good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back