V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #17,536 of 23,366
  well, i traveled 3 hrs today for work (and to get close to a Brookstone) so i could finally hear these before buying for my Xmas gift.  i really had my mind made up these were for me, without ever hearing them.  i have to say i was disappointed.  maybe i built them up too much in my mind and assumed they would be a certain way.  i will say this, build quality is fantastic.  i love their case and the way they fold up. i love the looks of the phones and the cord and plug.  love the colors.  i just didn't like the bass or fit.  this brookstone had several offerings and a nice listening center and i took my ipod classic with me to test with.  

i listened to about 6 songs, all different genres and they were consistent.  but after the 6, my head hurt.  i don't have a large head and couldn't believe it hurt as much as it did since the clamping pressure didn't seem that bad.  i really cant imagine the XL pads would help with this. i tried about 5 different headphones in there and am embarrassed to say the new beats studios were my favorite.  the employee asked me to try them and i declined.  i ended up trying them and was surprised to say the least.  not a fan of plastic build quality and wasn't a fan of the hiss from the noise cancellation, but really liked the sound signature.  bass was turned down more than i imagine "older" beats are and the comfort was the second best part.  i am trying to figure out if this is all a case of too high an expectation for the M100 and ZERO expectation for the studios, but now i am more confused.  i feel like i SHOULD buy the M100.  i like the company, their montra, their small business mindset and actions....i like everything but the fit.   the clarity was nice.  the bass didn't bleed at all, which i LOVED. i just didn't care for the type of bass i was hearing.  

hmm.

I agree with what you just said. I am writing my Amazon review right now but haven't posted it. I said, "If V-Moda M100s were sitting next to the Beats display at the store, the Beats will win." I think that is a true and fair statement. Why will Beats beat V-Moda in a heads up challenge? Because of the source people will use and the lack of time they will spend at the store. First, the Beats are loud, M100's, not so much. Second, the bass in the Beats will thump your noggin. The M100's, not so much. Third, the Beats amplify better than the M100s. So, the average consumer is going to pick the Beats and think they just made a great buy. But, they are dead wrong. Allow me to explain.

I had just purchased the Sony MDR-1Rs and was doing research on them when I stumbled upon the M100s. Every review I read said they were better, so I thought, I love these 1Rs, so the M100s must be great! When I got my M100's, I was expecting to be blown away. Sadly, I wasn't. My 1Rs sounded almost identical. I used the share play cable to test. Couldn't tell much of a difference. I was just like you...the Beats that my coworkers have do sound louder...not better, just louder. I thought I had made a bad decision. But, that was a month ago and my opinion has changed drastically and I am about to tell you why.

First, the sound source must be changed. Sorry, the Ipod classic ain't gonna cut it. You need an EQ that you can control. I use an IPhone 4S and I no longer use that stock music player. It's crap. I started doing research and began downloading some apps with EQ options...long story short, after downloading about 15 apps, I have decided that Tune Shell is the best. That is now my music player on my phone. Let me tell you, this makes a HUGE difference in sound quality. Second, my music has now been converted to 320 MP3's at a minimum and I have now begun to load Lossless WAV files too. Another huge difference. So, I spent days playing around with my headphone trying to find a great sound. After tons of EQ adjustments, I finally found that "sweet" spot. But, I was still upset because I could never get the bass to equal the Beats, because I thought that was good bass. So, I took my new EQ setting M100 back to the local stores to do a side by side comparison. This is when my eyes opened wide.

After learning how the M100's soundstage works, I could easily tell the difference from all the other headphones on display. First, the Beats had that bass that I thought I wanted, but after a few minutes listening to the exact same source on share play, I quickly realized that the bass the M100s put out is damn near perfect. With the Beats, the bass takes over everything and all the sounds come at you at once...like a Wrecking Ball. Not with the M100s. That sound is layered and I love it. The bass is there, but it doesn't interfere with anything else. Out of all 4 Beats on display, the Mixrs actually sounded the best, but still sounded bad. So, I moved on to the Momentums. This was close. They are almost identical in sound, but the Momentums are weaker and were more expensive and I don't think look as good at the M100s, so I easily discounted them. Next up, Bose. Okay, that didn't take long...they just have a dull sound. Next, Monster Inspirations. Okay, we are getting close again, but the sound wasn't there and the looks of the phones and fit were not good. Next! DNAs...loud and boomy but not over the ear phones. Reminded me of the Mixrs. Still not a layered presentation that I am now in love with. Moving on, Harmon Kardon CLs...okay, we are back on track with a sound that caught my by surprise. The Bass was nice...more like the Beats but with M100 control. However, after giving them a thorough test drive, I found that the combination of bass was just too much and something was just not quite right with the sound. Plus, they looked dull and bland and were squares. The headband looked awful. But, best sound so far. Next up, JBLs 55. Boomy bass, but that's about it. Very cheap and probably a good buy for that price. Over to Fisher Audio with their coconut looking phones that were expensive as hell. After about 30 seconds, I was done with them...those things looked horrible and weren't for mobile listening. Back over to Sony, the XB series was on display. The bass booms, but that's about it. They look horrible, feel horrible and are just ugly.

What did I learn from all of this? That I made a great purchase with the M100's. The sound doesn't boom at you...its more laid back and comes at you like I think it should. It doesn't sound like music from a headphone to me. To me, I think the bass is explosive. I listen to CHR and about 1:20 into Holy Grail....BOOM! Talk about a serious rumble without any type of distortion. All layers of the music are absorbed flawlessly. I use this song to demonstrate the power and quality of this headphone to people who ask me about my M100s. I set it to 1:05 and let them put them on...then play the song. Every time Jay Z hits that beat, the expression on their faces says it all...Whoa! Where did that come from? Sounds amazing. So clean, crisp. Yep, that's from one of the best portable headphones you can buy, then the conversation takes a turn to the design, construction and how they can get a pair.

Another thing, when you play a song with these, and if the songs have any parts were the music pauses....talk about incredible. Not a single noise can be heard from these...I mean dead silence. No buzz, hum, nothing. Absolute, superior silence. This reminded me about two weeks ago when one of my co-workers was bragging about his Beats Active Noise Canx feature, I asked if I could try his while he listened to my M100's. I will tell you that the Beats did a fantastic job of blocking out the noise, but at the same time, they trap you with that ho-hum sound, which isn't great to begin with. When we swapped back, he told me his Beats were better. My M100's lacked the Bass he likes. He was right. I hadn't found that sweet spot at that time and I failed him. Plus, I found out that one of the cords (the mic) cable must be bad. I switched to the share play cable and I honestly believe it sounds much better with that cable. It's all I use now. BTW, he's a Beats customer and they are convinced they are the best headphones. I will see him again this week and I plan on doing this little experiment again.

So, bottom line. Get a player with an EQ setting, not that crappy "pick from a menu option." You need to control every aspect of this headphone and when you hit that sweet spot, you will know. I am so addicted to these, that no other headphone comes close to making me regret this purchase. Plus, factor in how great the look, how they are built, and the layered sound presentation, and I will pick these over any headphone that lacks this substance at this price range.

Hope this helps.

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #17,537 of 23,366
Good post. Thanks. The problem I have it 90% of my listening will be done with a ipod classic and e11 or iphone 5s. So I need to enjoy what I can get out of those. I really do WANT to like the m100s more as I mentioned I was all but already sold on them before I got there. And honestly the sound isn't where they lost me...even though I didn't care for the sound of its bass compared to the studio. It was the comfort. After 6 songs my upper jaw hurt with the m100 while the studios were the most comfy ones I had tried on all day.

You are correct, I don't think the beats are "the best". But I think they may have hit on the things more important to me. For example, I loved the quiet isolation on the m100 and hated the hiss from the studios, but I won't be listening at such a low volume that it means a ton to me. Where the comfort was so great with the beats over the m100. The build quality is indeed one thing I can't pass on. Love the m100 there.

Maybe I just get the m100 and XL pads right away and start working on stretching that headband out and hope thru break-in, I get where I want.

You also hit on some headphones I don't like. I bought the MDR1r and sold them as I didn't like its clarity. I also didn't like the momentums. So far, the dt770 250 is one of my favs as I didn't like the 80ohm version.

Hmm. That again, good post.

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #17,538 of 23,366
Good post. Thanks. The problem I have it 90% of my listening will be done with a ipod classic and e11 or iphone 5s. So I need to enjoy what I can get out of those. I really do WANT to like the m100s more as I mentioned I was all but already sold on them before I got there. And honestly the sound isn't where they lost me...even though I didn't care for the sound of its bass compared to the studio. It was the comfort. After 6 songs my upper jaw hurt with the m100 while the studios were the most comfy ones I had tried on all day.

You are correct, I don't think the beats are "the best". But I think they may have hit on the things more important to me. For example, I loved the quiet isolation on the m100 and hated the hiss from the studios, but I won't be listening at such a low volume that it means a ton to me. Where the comfort was so great with the beats over the m100. The build quality is indeed one thing I can't pass on. Love the m100 there.

Maybe I just get the m100 and XL pads right away and start working on stretching that headband out and hope thru break-in, I get where I want.

You also hit on some headphones I don't like. I bought the MDR1r and sold them as I didn't like its clarity. I also didn't like the momentums. So far, the dt770 250 is one of my favs as I didn't like the 80ohm version.

It's a shame you didn't give them more time to settle in if you liked so much about them.  I recall the M-100 being very uncomfortable at first as well.  Within a few weeks, they were comfortable to the point where I forgot they were on my head, even without the XL pads which make them one of the most comfortable portables on the market.

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #17,539 of 23,366
It's a shame you didn't give them more time to settle in if you liked so much about them.  I recall the M-100 being very uncomfortable at first as well.  Within a few weeks, they were comfortable to the point where I forgot they were on my head, even without the XL pads which make them one of the most comfortable portables on the market.

Yeah I need to take advantage of their 60 day return policy someone was mentioning and try them out.

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #17,540 of 23,366

I will tell you the comfort does improve with time. The 1Rs are very comfortable and the M100s weren't. The Studios are also very comfortable, but the quality is not there. I did find myself adjusting the M100s more when I first got them. I even put tissue inside the pads too. I took the tissue out after about a week and they feel great now and I fall asleep with them on. My ears barely fit inside the stock pads. The XL options sound appealing, but I am happy with how these feel right now. It does get better with time. Everything gets better with time with these in my opinion. You are correct about the 1Rs clarity...the just lack the M100 "fun feel" when I compare them side by side. The M100s are more fun to hear. That's why my 1Rs are sitting next to my computer and my M100s are on my head.

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #17,541 of 23,366
^^ woody, first off - great write-up.  Also, thanks for the TuneShell recommendation.  Really liking its functionality and EQ.  Another track I like to show off with, especially when the person is a beats user, is U2's Grace.  It's a gentle bass assault and really shows how articulately low these cans can go.

After two weeks of burn-in and the XL mod, these cans are really settling in quite nicely.  I definitely crave it when away from it during the day.  I think you (Minarets and others) owe it to yourself to really take the time and break these in.  I was at a point last week where I was getting the remorse bug and wanted to return them.  I'm glad I stuck it out and got the XL pads, while continuing to burn them in.

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #17,542 of 23,366

well, i traveled 3 hrs today for work (and to get close to a Brookstone) so i could finally hear these before buying for my Xmas gift.  i really had my mind made up these were for me, without ever hearing them.  i have to say i was disappointed.  maybe i built them up too much in my mind and assumed they would be a certain way.  i will say this, build quality is fantastic.  i love their case and the way they fold up. i love the looks of the phones and the cord and plug.  love the colors.  i just didn't like the bass or fit.  this brookstone had several offerings and a nice listening center and i took my ipod classic with me to test with.  

i listened to about 6 songs, all different genres and they were consistent.  but after the 6, my head hurt.  i don't have a large head and couldn't believe it hurt as much as it did since the clamping pressure didn't seem that bad.  i really cant imagine the XL pads would help with this. i tried about 5 different headphones in there and am embarrassed to say the new beats studios were my favorite.  the employee asked me to try them and i declined.  i ended up trying them and was surprised to say the least.  not a fan of plastic build quality and wasn't a fan of the hiss from the noise cancellation, but really liked the sound signature.  bass was turned down more than i imagine "older" beats are and the comfort was the second best part.  i am trying to figure out if this is all a case of too high an expectation for the M100 and ZERO expectation for the studios, but now i am more confused.  i feel like i SHOULD buy the M100.  i like the company, their montra, their small business mindset and actions....i like everything but the fit.   the clarity was nice.  the bass didn't bleed at all, which i LOVED. i just didn't care for the type of bass i was hearing.  

hmm.

I agree with what you just said. I am writing my Amazon review right now but haven't posted it. I said, "If V-Moda M100s were sitting next to the Beats display at the store, the Beats will win." I think that is a true and fair statement. Why will Beats beat V-Moda in a heads up challenge? Because of the source people will use and the lack of time they will spend at the store. First, the Beats are loud, M100's, not so much. Second, the bass in the Beats will thump your noggin. The M100's, not so much. Third, the Beats amplify better than the M100s. So, the average consumer is going to pick the Beats and think they just made a great buy. But, they are dead wrong. Allow me to explain.

I had just purchased the Sony MDR-1Rs and was doing research on them when I stumbled upon the M100s. Every review I read said they were better, so I thought, I love these 1Rs, so the M100s must be great! When I got my M100's, I was expecting to be blown away. Sadly, I wasn't. My 1Rs sounded almost identical. I used the share play cable to test. Couldn't tell much of a difference. I was just like you...the Beats that my coworkers have do sound louder...not better, just louder. I thought I had made a bad decision. But, that was a month ago and my opinion has changed drastically and I am about to tell you why.

First, the sound source must be changed. Sorry, the Ipod classic ain't gonna cut it. You need an EQ that you can control. I use an IPhone 4S and I no longer use that stock music player. It's crap. I started doing research and began downloading some apps with EQ options...long story short, after downloading about 15 apps, I have decided that Tune Shell is the best. That is now my music player on my phone. Let me tell you, this makes a HUGE difference in sound quality. Second, my music has now been converted to 320 MP3's at a minimum and I have now begun to load Lossless WAV files too. Another huge difference. So, I spent days playing around with my headphone trying to find a great sound. After tons of EQ adjustments, I finally found that "sweet" spot. But, I was still upset because I could never get the bass to equal the Beats, because I thought that was good bass. So, I took my new EQ setting M100 back to the local stores to do a side by side comparison. This is when my eyes opened wide.

After learning how the M100's soundstage works, I could easily tell the difference from all the other headphones on display. First, the Beats had that bass that I thought I wanted, but after a few minutes listening to the exact same source on share play, I quickly realized that the bass the M100s put out is damn near perfect. With the Beats, the bass takes over everything and all the sounds come at you at once...like a Wrecking Ball. Not with the M100s. That sound is layered and I love it. The bass is there, but it doesn't interfere with anything else. Out of all 4 Beats on display, the Mixrs actually sounded the best, but still sounded bad. So, I moved on to the Momentums. This was close. They are almost identical in sound, but the Momentums are weaker and were more expensive and I don't think look as good at the M100s, so I easily discounted them. Next up, Bose. Okay, that didn't take long...they just have a dull sound. Next, Monster Inspirations. Okay, we are getting close again, but the sound wasn't there and the looks of the phones and fit were not good. Next! DNAs...loud and boomy but not over the ear phones. Reminded me of the Mixrs. Still not a layered presentation that I am now in love with. Moving on, Harmon Kardon CLs...okay, we are back on track with a sound that caught my by surprise. The Bass was nice...more like the Beats but with M100 control. However, after giving them a thorough test drive, I found that the combination of bass was just too much and something was just not quite right with the sound. Plus, they looked dull and bland and were squares. The headband looked awful. But, best sound so far. Next up, JBLs 55. Boomy bass, but that's about it. Very cheap and probably a good buy for that price. Over to Fisher Audio with their coconut looking phones that were expensive as hell. After about 30 seconds, I was done with them...those things looked horrible and weren't for mobile listening. Back over to Sony, the XB series was on display. The bass booms, but that's about it. They look horrible, feel horrible and are just ugly.

What did I learn from all of this? That I made a great purchase with the M100's. The sound doesn't boom at you...its more laid back and comes at you like I think it should. It doesn't sound like music from a headphone to me. To me, I think the bass is explosive. I listen to CHR and about 1:20 into Holy Grail....BOOM! Talk about a serious rumble without any type of distortion. All layers of the music are absorbed flawlessly. I use this song to demonstrate the power and quality of this headphone to people who ask me about my M100s. I set it to 1:05 and let them put them on...then play the song. Every time Jay Z hits that beat, the expression on their faces says it all...Whoa! Where did that come from? Sounds amazing. So clean, crisp. Yep, that's from one of the best portable headphones you can buy, then the conversation takes a turn to the design, construction and how they can get a pair.

Another thing, when you play a song with these, and if the songs have any parts were the music pauses....talk about incredible. Not a single noise can be heard from these...I mean dead silence. No buzz, hum, nothing. Absolute, superior silence. This reminded me about two weeks ago when one of my co-workers was bragging about his Beats Active Noise Canx feature, I asked if I could try his while he listened to my M100's. I will tell you that the Beats did a fantastic job of blocking out the noise, but at the same time, they trap you with that ho-hum sound, which isn't great to begin with. When we swapped back, he told me his Beats were better. My M100's lacked the Bass he likes. He was right. I hadn't found that sweet spot at that time and I failed him. Plus, I found out that one of the cords (the mic) cable must be bad. I switched to the share play cable and I honestly believe it sounds much better with that cable. It's all I use now. BTW, he's a Beats customer and they are convinced they are the best headphones. I will see him again this week and I plan on doing this little experiment again.

So, bottom line. Get a player with an EQ setting, not that crappy "pick from a menu option." You need to control every aspect of this headphone and when you hit that sweet spot, you will know. I am so addicted to these, that no other headphone comes close to making me regret this purchase. Plus, factor in how great the look, how they are built, and the layered sound presentation, and I will pick these over any headphone that lacks this substance at this price range.

Hope this helps.

Nurp.
Best music application for iOS is canopener. Does way more than just EQ. Search for it the app store.

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #17,544 of 23,366
  For those of you have it, what are you impressions on how the M100's sound with the new nexus 7 2013 when compared to other similar standard devices like ipads/Galaxy notes/S3/S4  Iphone 5s etc

I have a huge issue with the N7 (2013) and it's audio board.  When the headphones (I've tried my IEMs as well) and when there is no sound being played, you get some nasty feedback in the headphones.  Buzzing and hissing.  As soon as the music starts, it sounds fine however.  It's pretty quiet overall tho, so lower quality, older music files are almost too quiet.  I actually had to get rid of the N7 because of the feedback...it annoyed the heck out of me (I tried 3 different models as well 16gb, 32gb, 32gb LTE so I know it wasn't just a model specific issue).

I really wish the audio was better...because the rest of the tablet is absolutely FANTASTIC.  I like it quite a bit better than the iPad Air that replaced it.  But the Air just sounds better, so gotta go with it.

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #17,546 of 23,366
I know where you're coming from K-Lawn, I seem to have the same preferences in sound like you and would prefer the punchy bass and more intimate and engaging sound of stock pads. But you have to remember people have different taste, we have this specific taste, others not so there's no need to try justify your preferences. If others enjoy the more laid-back sound, by all means let them! Many people swear by Sennheiser HD800 for example, for me it's not my cup of tea due to the "distant" sound you're talking about here for example and could probably get more enjoyment from certain $100 headphones that have a sound more to my taste (cough Q40 :p)

But yea same goes for the XL pad enthusiasts, you can't say XL sounds better for everyone.

At least I thank your very detailed description of the sound differences, having experienced the exactly same thing before with padswaps which I disliked I can save $30 or whatever it would be with shipping costs to Finland in case I decide to try the M100 (would like to know if Amazon accepts returning of M100 despite the ribbon sealing the package is cut before placing an order)

XL pads are like Grados. You like the sound or you don't.

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #17,547 of 23,366
hi guys, new owner of m100 here. i think this headphone is pretty amazing. however, IMO this headphone doesn't suit me and i checked that v-moda has 60 days test drive guarantee, does anyone know what this is and is there any chance for me to return my headphone and be able to get back the cash as i probably will get a sennheiser momentum. cheers

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #17,548 of 23,366

Hmm. Its not so black&white.. But so far I'm thinking I might switch back to stock.. The xl are very comfy and the biggest improvement is better seal/isolation for me. But I miss the tight bass of the stock pads. Laid back is good for some genres but not edm especially bass-centric music when there's a loss of detail in the sub..

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #17,549 of 23,366
hi guys, new owner of m100 here. i think this headphone is pretty amazing. however, IMO this headphone doesn't suit me and i checked that v-moda has 60 days test drive guarantee, does anyone know what this is and is there any chance for me to return my headphone and be able to get back the cash as i probably will get a sennheiser momentum. cheers

If you got it from am authorized retailer and it's been less than 60 days, you can return it to them for a full refund. Check for the procedure on their website. You can also see if where you bought it from is authorized on their website.

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #17,550 of 23,366

Hmm. Its not so black&white.. But so far I'm thinking I might switch back to stock.. The xl are very comfy and the biggest improvement is better seal/isolation for me. But I miss the tight bass of the stock pads. Laid back is good for some genres but not edm especially bass-centric music when there's a loss of detail in the sub..

I didn't notice it. Saying that I'm using the XLs on my LP2s, m100s are at V-MODA for repair.
I'd check the difference but cbf taking pads off for the 10th time and damaging the pads more.

Sell me your XL pads? :basshead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back