V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
Nov 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #17,491 of 23,366
Anyone compare these to he new beats studio? I know they aren't the same, but I listened tonight at a Target store and was really impressed, blown away really as I had zero expectations with beats. I want the m100 but won't get to try them out before buying.

I have herd they are slightly improved but that means nothing compared to the m100.
Think of beats studio on a scale where the m100 is a 8-9,
The studio is a 1-2
And all previous beats are negaitive 5 to negaitive 2... (!)
And "fake" beats are at 0-1
Ha :)

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #17,492 of 23,366
I have herd they are slightly improved but that means nothing compared to the m100.
Think of beats studio on a scale where the m100 is a 8-9,
The studio is a 1-2
And all previous beats are negaitive 5 to negaitive 2... (!)
And "fake" beats are at 0-1
Ha
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't listened to the new Beats Studios, so I'm not going to bash them without first hearing them (which is something I have been guilty of doing in the past). The redesign is pretty ugly, though. I think they look cheaper now, although stress test videos show that they are much better built than before.

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #17,493 of 23,366
Anyone compare these to he new beats studio? I know they aren't the same, but I listened tonight at a Target store and was really impressed, blown away really as I had zero expectations with beats. I want the m100 but won't get to try them out before buying.

I think the new beats studio is much better than the last. Both in terms of physical design and sound. That said, the V-moda's are still far ahead of the studio's both in terms of reliability, sound and functionality. 

Also as a heads-up, you can listen to the M100's at Brookstone listening stations now

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #17,494 of 23,366
I think the new beats studio is much better than the last. Both in terms of physical design and sound. That said, the V-moda's are still far ahead of the studio's both in terms of reliability, sound and functionality. 

Also as a heads-up, you can listen to the M100's at Brookstone listening stations now
awesome! I didn't know Brookstone had em. Thanks

Nov 14, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #17,495 of 23,366

I listened to the new Beats Studio and they are a marked improvement over the previous version.  M-100 will still provide tighter, more musical bass, a higher level of detail and smoother highs.

I do agree that the Beats Studio 2 [AKA 2013 Beats Studio] is vastly improved over the previous generations. The M-100 still sounds much more spacious and open compared to the very one-dimensional-sounding Studios.

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #17,496 of 23,366
I just got my m100s and let me tell you, I thought comfort with my amperiors was kinda bad but this things are even worse, I don't know where to start, the heat they produce or the pressure the make but man, i got to take them out of my head every 15 minutes or so.
In the sound department so far they seem to me like great sounding cans pretty much in the same leage as the amperiors but with the bass hitting you a lot harder, i think it might even be too much, and I listen to edm in case somebody is wondering..

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #17,498 of 23,366
  I just got my m100s and let me tell you, I thought comfort with my amperiors was kinda bad but this things are even worse, I don't know where to start, the heat they produce or the pressure the make but man, i got to take them out of my head every 15 minutes or so.
In the sound department so far they seem to me like great sounding cans pretty much in the same leage as the amperiors but with the bass hitting you a lot harder, i think it might even be too much, and I listen to edm in case somebody is wondering..

Sounds like you need the XL pads, although comfort will improve over time.

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #17,499 of 23,366
This is a bit of a cross post I just did in the TH600 thread but here are my impressions of my newly arrived M100s ! (today)

At first I A/B compared them to TH600 on some electronica like The Knife, and omg thee M100 sounded like they had pillows over the drivers in comparison. But it is not a fair comparison. The TH600 sound open and airy and are SO comfy. Very detailed, the bass is high quality very detailed too, you can listen to them infinitely and not be fatigued. So they are just perfect for my preferences and for EDM.

With the M100s, I've been listening to them for a few hours straight now and I'm growing to like them more, they are definitely fun. Mainly listening to Phaeleh and other chillstep, and Four Tet, I must say the bass is addictive. Very deep, powerful and not muddy. The mids and highs take a back seat but the soundstage is wider than I expected (but still nowhere near as good as TH600).
I'm happy with my choice as a portable pair. Running them from my PC and D1 + M-Stage at the moment and they sound good, but from my Fiio X3 the bass wasn't as tight, it sounded a bit muddy and too much of it - I had to drop it down -5 and then the whole sound was about right. Which is funny, because I usually boost my DT1350 +5 on the X3 (it isn't a very bassy DAP). First time I've ever had to Eq bass DOWN lol, its usually the other way slightly.

I think I'm really going to enjoy these. Fun is the key word and even though there are clearer/more analytical headphones out there these aren't muddy and are very musical.

In relation to comfort, I find them quite comfy apart from my ears getting hot. I thought comfort would be more of an issue, so I did buy the XL pads but I don't feel the need to put them on yet. I will try them at some point to see if I prefer the sound signature change, but TBH the stock pads are fine and I have quite big ears too (7cm or so height) AND wear glasses. I think it depends more on ear/type overall shape maybe or how much they stick out?

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #17,500 of 23,366

I'm going the other way - I've had my m100s for a little over a week and the Amperiors arrived today.  I thought the Amperiors were clamping a bit tighter and was making the untouched part of my ears feel cold (because the pads were making the rest hot).  The Senns definitely have some brighter highs and, I think, better with female vocals in terms of clarity.

My m100s have definitely grown on me a bit more throughout the week and with lots of break-in.  I still think it gets muddled for some songs, but then would sound better at times.  I have to pay attention more and see if it's the seal around my ears.

What exact (edm) songs do you listen to?

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #17,501 of 23,366

Sounds like you need the XL pads, although comfort will improve over time.

Speaking of which, it's really taking its sweet old time, but I should have the XLs on Saturday at the latest.  I'm anxious to try them already.

This is a bit of a cross post I just did in the TH600 thread but here are my impressions of my newly arrived M100s ! (today)

At first I A/B compared them to TH600 on some electronica like The Knife, and omg thee M100 sounded like they had pillows over the drivers in comparison. But it is not a fair comparison. The TH600 sound open and airy and are SO comfy. Very detailed, the bass is high quality very detailed too, you can listen to them infinitely and not be fatigued. So they are just perfect for my preferences and for EDM.

With the M100s, I've been listening to them for a few hours straight now and I'm growing to like them more, they are definitely fun. Mainly listening to Phaeleh and other chillstep, and Four Tet, I must say the bass is addictive. Very deep, powerful and not muddy. The mids and highs take a back seat but the soundstage is wider than I expected (but still nowhere near as good as TH600).
I'm happy with my choice as a portable pair. Running them from my PC and D1 + M-Stage at the moment and they sound good, but from my Fiio X3 the bass wasn't as tight, it sounded a bit muddy and too much of it - I had to drop it down -5 and then the whole sound was about right. Which is funny, because I usually boost my DT1350 +5 on the X3 (it isn't a very bassy DAP). First time I've ever had to Eq bass DOWN lol, its usually the other way slightly.

I think I'm really going to enjoy these. Fun is the key word and even though there are clearer/more analytical headphones out there these aren't muddy and are very musical.

In relation to comfort, I find them quite comfy apart from my ears getting hot. I thought comfort would be more of an issue, so I did buy the XL pads but I don't feel the need to put them on yet. I will try them at some point to see if I prefer the sound signature change, but TBH the stock pads are fine and I have quite big ears too (7cm or so height) AND wear glasses. I think it depends more on ear/type overall shape maybe or how much they stick out?

See, that's what I hear sometimes - pillows over the drivers.  Granted, I haven't experienced that in the last few days so it's looking up.

Interesting too, I'm looking at getting the X3 as well.  I know it's a bit off-topic, but how do you like it?  Any reservations at all or any other recommendations?

Anyway, I'll have to try some of the music you mentioned too.

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #17,502 of 23,366

I'm going the other way - I've had my m100s for a little over a week and the Amperiors arrived today.  I thought the Amperiors were clamping a bit tighter and was making the untouched part of my ears feel cold (because the pads were making the rest hot).  The Senns definitely have some brighter highs and, I think, better with female vocals in terms of clarity.

My m100s have definitely grown on me a bit more throughout the week and with lots of break-in.  I still think it gets muddled for some songs, but then would sound better at times.  I have to pay attention more and see if it's the seal around my ears.

What exact (edm) songs do you listen to?

Me too!  I got my Amperiors on Monday and have been using them exclusively all week.  I was really worried about the comfort of on-ear headphones but the price was too good to resist giving them a go.  They are a PAIN!!!  You don't know real pain till you've tried these puppies.  I really don't know how this design survived in the professional industry for so long!  That being said, if you take breaks and massage out your ear every few hours, they are manageable.

I do enjoy the Amperiors despite the pain.  The bass hit much harder than the M-100's and the forward mids and trebles makes most music sound more fun.  The problem is that when you come across poorly mastered track, tracks that were made to sound lo-fi and tracks that have a lot of simbilance.  The Amperior is not a forgiving headphone.

The M-100's are a way better all round headphone than the Amperior but at $150 it's hard to resist the Amperior if you listen to alot of EDM, dubstep.

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #17,503 of 23,366

Interesting too, I'm looking at getting the X3 as well.  I know it's a bit off-topic, but how do you like it?  Any reservations at all or any other recommendations?

Anyway, I'll have to try some of the music you mentioned too.

I'm enjoying the X3. The interface isn't great but you get used to it and to me its about the sound first and foremost. Its a nice small good-looking DAP that takes 64gb (maybe even 128gb?) micro SD cards. So I'm really liking it, very clear sound and not too coloured (a bit less bassy to my ears than E17 even though its similar hardware on the amp side).
Check out this review on Headfonia for some good points on it http://www.headfonia.com/first-impression-fiio-x3-dap/
They also reviewed an Ibasso that could be an alternative http://www.headfonia.com/the-disruptive-ibasso-dx50/, or the AK100 / AK120 players seem to be getting a lot of love but a lot more $$$

M-100s Day2, still no comfort issues with the stock pads, very comfy.
I'm really loving the fun sound too. Also realised maybe my ears were too central, pushing the cups back so that the forward part of the pad is just on the edge of my ear seemed to increase clarity and soundstage a bit. So I would say try fiddling with positioning a bit.

I was just listening to this EP and literally dancing around the house in between shaving and doing washing etc. wearing them the whole time. Lol
http://hedflux.bandcamp.com/
HIGHLY recommended, guy is a sonic genius. I love Bandcamp and pay-what-you-want, always pay more for stuff  I love :)

This was with the X3 on flat settings 0-0 and the bass was perfect, so tight and punchy for this type of dance music. The treble was clear but definitely taking a bit of a back seat. Increasing it to +2 on the X3 gave a tiny bit of extra sparkly without reducing SQ.
I think especially when commuting the bass on the M100 will be perfect. A good amount to block out outside noise and can always EQ to taste depending on the type of music.

Edit: Now listening to Mala in Cuba
https://soundcloud.com/maladmz/sets/mala-in-cuba-album-stream /  http://malaincuba.com/
MMMM BAAASSSS

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #17,504 of 23,366
  Me too!  I got my Amperiors on Monday and have been using them exclusively all week.  I was really worried about the comfort of on-ear headphones but the price was too good to resist giving them a go.  They are a PAIN!!!  You don't know real pain till you've tried these puppies.  I really don't know how this design survived in the professional industry for so long!  That being said, if you take breaks and massage out your ear every few hours, they are manageable.

I do enjoy the Amperiors despite the pain.  The bass hit much harder than the M-100's and the forward mids and trebles makes most music sound more fun.  The problem is that when you come across poorly mastered track, tracks that were made to sound lo-fi and tracks that have a lot of simbilance.  The Amperior is not a forgiving headphone.

The M-100's are a way better all round headphone than the Amperior but at $150 it's hard to resist the Amperior if you listen to alot of EDM, dubstep.

Yeah, and the split headband - still trying to figure out the best way to situate those.  I usually just have them together like a normal headband.  Btw, only the left earcup assembly folds, right?

I'm enjoying the X3. The interface isn't great but you get used to it and to me its about the sound first and foremost. Its a nice small good-looking DAP that takes 64gb (maybe even 128gb?) micro SD cards. So I'm really liking it, very clear sound and not too coloured (a bit less bassy to my ears than E17 even though its similar hardware on the amp side).
Check out this review on Headfonia for some good points on it http://www.headfonia.com/first-impression-fiio-x3-dap/
They also reviewed an Ibasso that could be an alternative http://www.headfonia.com/the-disruptive-ibasso-dx50/, or the AK100 / AK120 players seem to be getting a lot of love but a lot more $$$

M-100s Day2, still no comfort issues with the stock pads, very comfy.
I'm really loving the fun sound too. Also realised maybe my ears were too central, pushing the cups back so that the forward part of the pad is just on the edge of my ear seemed to increase clarity and soundstage a bit. So I would say try fiddling with positioning a bit.

I was just listening to this EP and literally dancing around the house in between shaving and doing washing etc. wearing them the whole time. Lol
http://hedflux.bandcamp.com/
HIGHLY recommended, guy is a sonic genius. I love Bandcamp and pay-what-you-want, always pay more for stuff  I love :)

This was with the X3 on flat settings 0-0 and the bass was perfect, so tight and punchy for this type of dance music. The treble was clear but definitely taking a bit of a back seat. Increasing it to +2 on the X3 gave a tiny bit of extra sparkly without reducing SQ.
I think especially when commuting the bass on the M100 will be perfect. A good amount to block out outside noise and can always EQ to taste depending on the type of music.

Edit: Now listening to Mala in Cuba
https://soundcloud.com/maladmz/sets/mala-in-cuba-album-stream /  http://malaincuba.com/
MMMM BAAASSSS

Thanks for your impressions, I need to get one already!  I still think you should try the XLs and see how that changes the dynamic.  I really gotta thank Craigster for steering me in that direction.

Will definitely check out your musical choices - keep 'em coming!

Nov 16, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #17,505 of 23,366
Finally got the XL pads and I must say it's a huge improvement for my ears. The wider sound stage is much welcomed for my listening taste and I don't feel the bass is impacted too much, if not for the better. :)

The comfort is now what I expect from an over-ear headphone and I find myself constantly wanting to wear them now.

Also bought a purple audio only cable which to my surprise was black and purple, not like the picture on v-moda.com. I wasn't bothered by this too much, but I had also expected the cable to be as long as the 1-button mic cable, but it's quite a bit longer than that. I guess it's my own fault for not reading the specifications on the item before I ordered.

Bought the Coilpro cable as well, which I'm very impressed by. Very well built and such a beautiful design with great attention to detail! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back