V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc.
May 27, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #1,546 of 23,366
Quote:
Mainly because it's nice to have matching cables, and you shouldn't have to replace cables right after buying a headphone :p

true, but is it that big of a problem? Plus, I don't think finding matching cables would be too hard, still I guess it is better than DIY cable modding ^^

May 27, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #1,548 of 23,366
Quote:
Mainly because it's nice to have matching cables, and you shouldn't have to replace cables right after buying a headphone :p

Hmm. Most headphones don't even give you the option to swap em out. As long as the cable delivers sound to the headphones, why would you want to replace it? Are you one of those people who buys new shoelaces for a brand new pair of shoes because the shoes come with flat laces and you want the round ones?

May 27, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #1,549 of 23,366
Quote:
yeah I really don't know why everyone cares about the cable when its detachable and 100 companies sell 100 types of different cables... I'm worried about the sound XD, I actually love the m-80 sound and if the m-100 will have the same sound with extended treble and better transparency then it will probably be the end-all be-all portable in that price range. I think the bass power will be resolved purely because of the larger drivers ^^

Your comment says it all and is right on the money.  Now we just need to get our eager hands on them. 

May 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #1,552 of 23,366
Quote:
I think the pressure of the deadline is getting to him and the bass is the last thing on his mind..only joking!

A V-MODA without the bass? You've got to be kidding! 
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #1,553 of 23,366
Quote:
Hmm. Most headphones don't even give you the option to swap em out. As long as the cable delivers sound to the headphones, why would you want to replace it? Are you one of those people who buys new shoelaces for a brand new pair of shoes because the shoes come with flat laces and you want the round ones?

I can think of several legit reasons to change cables.

• Longer cable; your listening position is too far from your source.
  • Shorter cable; for portable use you do not want to feel like you have your own personal jump rope every time you take a step.
  • Coiled v. straight wire;  a long and coiled wire may have inductive properties and impact bass response.  I've never personally measured it to test it out or computed the inductance of one of these to figure out if it is relevant, but the principle itself makes sense (how many ideas/myths are indefinitely propagated through repeated telling in the audio community and regarded as gospel, irrespective of whether or not there is a valid reason to hold them?).  I personally hate coiled wires simply because of the way they tangle and become deformed over time.
  • V-Moda headphones are marketed to appeal to people's fashion sense, as well as their desire to enjoy the music itself; if you doubt this, refer to their variety of headphone cable colors and customizable colored and engraved shields for the M/V-80, LP and LP2, and the forthcoming M-100.  I'm kind of surprised they haven't marketed different colored headbands (of possibly varying materials) that are user replaceable yet.
  • Different options for a mic, or lack thereof; some people need/want a mic, may or may not need/be able to use controls (1 v. 3 button), and some people may just want a straight audio cable.

That's just off the top of my head...

May 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #1,554 of 23,366
Quote:
I can think of several legit reasons to change cables.

• Longer cable; your listening position is too far from your source.
  • Shorter cable; for portable use you do not want to feel like you have your own personal jump rope every time you take a step.
  • Coiled v. straight wire;  a long and coiled wire may have inductive properties and impact bass response.  I've never personally measured it to test it out or computed the inductance of one of these to figure out if it is relevant, but the principle itself makes sense (how many ideas/myths are indefinitely propagated through repeated telling in the audio community and regarded as gospel, irrespective of whether or not there is a valid reason to hold them?).  I personally hate coiled wires simply because of the way they tangle and become deformed over time.
  • V-Moda headphones are marketed to appeal to people's fashion sense, as well as their desire to enjoy the music itself; if you doubt this, refer to their variety of headphone cable colors and customizable colored and engraved shields for the M/V-80, LP and LP2, and the forthcoming M-100.  I'm kind of surprised they haven't marketed different colored headbands (of possibly varying materials) that are user replaceable yet.
  • Different options for a mic, or lack thereof; some people need/want a mic, may or may not need/be able to use controls (1 v. 3 button), and some people may just want a straight audio cable.

That's just off the top of my head...

I wasn't saying there's no reason to change cables. Some of the postings just sounded like people were saying, "IF the cable isn't x length with x feature, I'll HAVE to buy another cable. Plus, I don't need a mic. I don't want a mic. I will never use the mic. Can I have a cable without a mic?" Is that really a deal breaker? V-MODA headphones were designed to be portable. They all come with mics. Don't need a mic? Just don't use the mic. How, exactly, is that a problem that might influence a purchasing decision? If you WANT another cable, go right ahead. And, I'll reiterate this, lots of headphones do not allow you to swap the cable without some DIY modding. Just be thankful you have the option here to use pretty much any audio cable you want. To sum it all up, here's a quote from the comedian who was most influential in my own work as a stand-up.

You can't please all of the people all of the time, and last night, all those people were at my show. ~ Mitch Hedberg

May 27, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #1,555 of 23,366
Quote:
I guess all bassheads are eagerly awaiting the M-100. Val, please make it happen! :)

oh yesss, hehe that will be the deciding factor for the pro700mkii vs. the m-100. Of course the m-100's will not have as much ^^, but hopefully those large drivers can squeeze out some good power. I thought the m-80 had a nice balanced sound and the Z02 could really bring out some killer bass, and i hope it'll do the same with the m-100 

May 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #1,556 of 23,366
Quote:
I wasn't saying there's no reason to change cables. Some of the postings just sounded like people were saying, "IF the cable isn't x length with x feature, I'll HAVE to buy another cable. Plus, I don't need a mic. I don't want a mic. I will never use the mic. Can I have a cable without a mic?" Is that really a deal breaker? V-MODA headphones were designed to be portable. They all come with mics. Don't need a mic? Just don't use the mic. How, exactly, is that a problem that might influence a purchasing decision? If you WANT another cable, go right ahead. And, I'll reiterate this, lots of headphones do not allow you to swap the cable without some DIY modding. Just be thankful you have the option here to use pretty much any audio cable you want. To sum it all up, here's a quote from the comedian who was most influential in my own work as a stand-up.

You can't please all of the people all of the time, and last night, all those people were at my show. ~ Mitch Hedberg

BUT, I want the same type of cable, of a shorter length... Without a mic.  Which apparently Val isn't selling just yet.  Color is a personal pref for me, but I probably wouldn't buy  a new color just for the color.  I'd buy a shorter cable, of a more preferable color, though.  A deal breaker?  Not really.  Then again, I received my LP2's for free, and if lucky, I might get an M-100 the same way (I did pay for my first gen Vibes, which are holding up remarkably better than everyone else's seem to).  Either way, I might just buy a new cable (of shorter length) and of a new color, and shields to go with it, were a shorter cable offered in the color I want (red).  I'm 6'2" and when walking with the longer cable and my PMP in my pocket, the cable comes down to the middle of my shin.  Walking around with a mic I have no need for annoys me even more than that, though.

Having a mic that I can neither use nor want doesn't add any incentive to buy for me, either.  However, a lower price point for being able to have it with two cables of varying length, sans mic, just might.  Having flexible options is a great way to please more people more often, and Val is definitely in the right direction with color options and allowing people to change cables and shields.  The more people that can be pleased, the better.  Especially when they are not asking for something to be added, but merely something left out.

An even easier way to do this, would be to just put the 45 connector on both ends, so that I (or anyone else) that reverses the cable, does not have to worry about stress related issues @ the PMP.

May 27, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #1,557 of 23,366
Quote:

BUT, I want the same type of cable, of a shorter length... Without a mic.  Which apparently Val isn't selling just yet.  Color is a personal pref for me, but I probably wouldn't buy  a new color just for the color.  I'd buy a shorter cable, of a more preferable color, though.  A deal breaker?  Not really.  Then again, I received my LP2's for free, and if lucky, I might get an M-100 the same way (I did pay for my first gen Vibes, which are holding up remarkably better than everyone else's seem to).  Either way, I might just buy a new cable (of shorter length) and of a new color, and shields to go with it, were a shorter cable offered in the color I want (red).  I'm 6'2" and when walking with the longer cable and my PMP in my pocket, the cable comes down to the middle of my shin.  Walking around with a mic I have no need for annoys me even more than that, though.

Wait, just how long are the V-MODA cables?! If you're 6'2" and the longer cable gets to your shin, then I'd be tripping all over it :S
I need to buy some V-MODA cable so I'm quite interested to know how long is this long one? For now I am waiting for the availability of the coiled cable.

May 28, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #1,558 of 23,366
Quote:
Wait, just how long are the V-MODA cables?! If you're 6'2" and the longer cable gets to your shin, then I'd be tripping all over it :S
I need to buy some V-MODA cable so I'm quite interested to know how long is this long one? For now I am waiting for the availability of the coiled cable.

The longer audio only cable is 80" (a little under 7' long), while the mic cable is 52" (a little over 4' long).

May 28, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #1,559 of 23,366
I honestly do not see the reason why everyone is acting crazy over the cable? Yes the audio only cable is indeed long, but the purpose behind it was to be used for DJ/Mixing/Audio Producing. It would allow a long enough cable for those who are hooked into something large and would be able to move freely without disconnection.

That said I can see the desire to have an audio only cable since I do not use a iDevice or Android Device as a PMP. But even with the audio cable being long as it is I honestly have no problem dealing with it. The last pair of buds I had just happened to have just enough of cable to where I keep my PMP to where my ears were, at times the buds would be pulled from my ears or the cable would disconnect from the PMP.

Finally, one of the primary reasons I have sided with V-Moda was because of the detachable cable system. I wanted audiophile tier cans for many years now but with the fear that at some point the cable would end up getting damaged/cause of damage I simply could not see myself owning anything $100+ unless they were designed and built with the idea that such issues would be non-existent. Given all of what you can do with the cable being detachable, if you have a problem why don't you just find another? I am sure Val might come out with another type of cable sooner or later but pestering for a new one now on the advent of the M-100 is just silly!

At very least wait for the M-100 to release, then go and ask for it. Val is doing his hardest to release these cans by the time he said he wanted to, one thing at a time people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back