V-MODA CROSSFADE M-80 AUDIO VOYAGE – Reviewers wanted!
Oct 5, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #421 of 467

Quote:
Updates: Anyone else notice pretty bad distortion on the 2 bundled cables with buttons? Using my PC laptop for playback (SRS turned on, EQ flat, no loudness equalization). The red cable's distortion goes away when I hold the button. Strange... However, I have no problem so far on the free extra audio cable with no button...

It's been 4 hours playback with all kinds of audio/static noise/music/movies. I'll give my headphones a rest and try again tomorrow... Hopefully they wake up and the SQ comes back...

I tried on the iPod touch 1g and it's fine (no distortion). So it must be the SRS on the laptop. I switched it off and now I'm fine tuning the EQ. Still looking for a good setting...

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #422 of 467

Quote:

I tried on the iPod touch 1g and it's fine (no distortion). So it must be the SRS on the laptop. I switched it off and now I'm fine tuning the EQ. Still looking for a good setting...

It's probably the jack on the notebook.  

The remote & mic plugs are made primarily to work for  smartphones/Apple products/tablets, sometimes the 3.5mm pinouts of other jacks on PCS/AMPS don't play well w/mics.  As you may recall, V-MODA was the first company to release a 3P iPhone headset, we constantly try to be ahead of the curve on mobile devices.    For these jacks, we recommend the audio-only cable for best results.  

For instance, the new Samsung Windows 7 and Motorola Androids required us to do even MORE tweaks and testing lately as we are selling in Microsoft Store and Radio Shack now in addition to our traditional Apple legacy. 

Cheers,

-v

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #423 of 467
Thanks for the advice. The audio only cable does seem to give the best results. Good thing I got a free one from you.

BTW, I feel they are already slowly waking up after the frequency sweep playback last night. Damn that was terrifying!

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #425 of 467

Quote:

The custom plates look awesome.
They are either vampirey (bloody) or street (graffiti) in design lol!

Rock on!

Those are sick custom plates, I don't even have a pair of custom plates yet!!!

seriously, great design.

Oct 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #429 of 467

Quote:
We've already began testing with different cables and had positive results... But it was negligible to most of our team except me and one other manager. Our audio only cable sounds better IMO and we extended it to 80" vs 69" due to this and Sander Kleinenberg/Erick Morillo requests.  Give me your feedback and we can optimize the cable in the future since we are going all customs!  

Personally, I'd like a shorter thinner cable, around the 1m/40in mark as usually use a nano or a sansa clip+ for portable use in my top pocket.  I shall investigate options.  (Don't get me wrong - the button-less cable is fantastic quality, just doesn't suit my needs.)

Out-of-the-box I'm really liking vocals in things like trance & dubstep and isolation for the train is just about OK  Looking forward to giving them a listen burn-in over the next few weeks to see how they change = all part of the fun!

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #430 of 467
Just received the M80s yesterday and I have to say... I'm digging the sound A LOT. They sound fun, dynamic, detailed, and natural to my ears. Good instrument separation and tonality on instruments/vocals so far. Guitars and drums do come alive. It's definitely the sound sig I've been after since I got my HJE900s in which it's warm (but not overly), full-bodied/lush and even thought it's V-shaped the mids are crystal clear and don't sound all that distant or closed in. It's also nice to have a supra-aural that has pretty decent soundstage/headstage, imaging, and good overall resolution. Bass extension is better than HD25s (although the HD25s are slightly punchier and may be a little faster) and the highs are shimmery and crisp with no sibilance whatsoever. I'm eager to read what other reviewers have to say about it but so far, I'm very impressed. Definitely a great complement to my HD25s. As for isolation, I'd place it a notch or two below the HD25 - definitely not bad since I can still enjoy their lively sound on a subway train.

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #431 of 467
How are all your cans so far? Mine have been steadily improving. I still run frequency sweeps from time to time to keep it in shape. I've been particularly impressed by it not being a dust and fingerprint magnet, especially on the shiny parts of the headphone.

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #432 of 467
somewhere I read where these need about 20 hrs burn-in; I'd say more like one hundred or more.  They just keep improving in all ways the more hours they're used

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #433 of 467
I've been using mine pretty consistently. Where these shine in particular is directly connected to my iPhone4 or iPod Classic U2.  I've tried them with few DAC/Amps from my Mac but that's not where they shine.  I'll leave the dac/amp thing to my Sennheisers.
Mine now have well over 100 hours of burn in.  Can't say that I've really noticed any difference after 20 or 30 hours or so.
Pretty impressive as a standalone headphone from an iDevice.

Quote:
How are all your cans so far? Mine have been steadily improving. I still run frequency sweeps from time to time to keep it in shape. I've been particularly impressed by it not being a dust and fingerprint magnet, especially on the shiny parts of the headphone.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #434 of 467
I did not hear any difference with burn-in... The pads softened a bit and with the better seal on my ear the sound changed, but that's nothing with the drivers alone.

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #435 of 467

Quote:
Just received the M80s yesterday and I have to say... I'm digging the sound A LOT. They sound fun, dynamic, detailed, and natural to my ears. Good instrument separation and tonality on instruments/vocals so far. Guitars and drums do come alive. It's definitely the sound sig I've been after since I got my HJE900s in which it's warm (but not overly), full-bodied/lush and even thought it's V-shaped the mids are crystal clear and don't sound all that distant or closed in. It's also nice to have a supra-aural that has pretty decent soundstage/headstage, imaging, and good overall resolution. Bass extension is better than HD25s (although the HD25s are slightly punchier and may be a little faster) and the highs are shimmery and crisp with no sibilance whatsoever. I'm eager to read what other reviewers have to say about it but so far, I'm very impressed. Definitely a great complement to my HD25s. As for isolation, I'd place it a notch or two below the HD25 - definitely not bad since I can still enjoy their lively sound on a subway train.

so less sibilance than the hd25? Sounding nice except for the isolation, on the go I like to have good isolation and in this case that means quieter ergo less sibilance XD, but still seems like a headphones to look at in the near future, now to add it to my big list of to waste my money on XD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back