USPS International - how does this work?
Oct 6, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #16 of 24
I receive a lot of Priority packages from the States, and I consider a week in customs abnormally long.  Usually no more than 2-3 days.  I expect Priority packages to arrive about a week after they're mailed, so maybe Friday for your package (or Monday if you're unlucky).

It may be worth paying the extra for Express Mail if the package is time-sensitive.  I figure a week for Priority, but allow an extra week for the occasional delay.  EMS tends to clear customs right away and arrive in the quoted 3-5 business days.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #17 of 24
Unless you purchase for delivery confirmation AND tracking, which my understanding is only available with Express service, the next best thing is the Customs number.  However, it only tracks the movement of the package within the US and when it arrived to the country of destination; then it goes into a black hole where the recipient is left to the mercy of their countrie's customs policies and bureacracy. 

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #18 of 24

Quote:
This isn't true for international packages.  Priority Mail International (other than the small flat rate box and envelope) and Express Mail International both come with full tracking, which is not the same thing as delivery confirmation.

Quote:
Unless you purchase for delivery confirmation AND tracking, which my understanding is only available with Express service, the next best thing is the Customs number.  However, it only tracks the movement of the package within the US and when it arrived to the country of destination; then it goes into a black hole where the recipient is left to the mercy of their countrie's customs policies and bureacracy. 

The "customs number" you're referring to is the tracking number that comes with international Priority and Express Mail.  Tracking inside the States is quite good, but you're correct that it's only as good as it is in the destination country after this.  You don't have to pay extra for it, and it's not the same thing as delivery confirmation.

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
I receive a lot of Priority packages from the States, and I consider a week in customs abnormally long.  Usually no more than 2-3 days.  I expect Priority packages to arrive about a week after they're mailed, so maybe Friday for your package (or Monday if you're unlucky).

Well, as of right now (9:06 AM ET) the package is still sitting in Mississauga customs. Two days now. Well, let's see whether the officers there are in a good humour. Even if they release it today I wouldn't be getting it tomorrow, because I don't think they fly packages from Mississauga to Quebec City. Also sonic trucks are yet to be invented,
Although I did read somewhere that the bigger your box is, the longer it's gonna take. And the vendor said the box won't even fit in the Large flat-rate box so I am kinda worried.

EDIT I: 14:35 ET and still stuck there.

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #20 of 24
I'm a Canuck and I love getting things shipped USPS priority from the states. Not a problem in over 12 years. Tracking info should be available.

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
I'm a Canuck and I love getting things shipped USPS priority from the states. Not a problem in over 12 years. Tracking info should be available.

Well, Emperor, tracking info sure is available, on both the USPS and Canada Post sites.
Oh, and, 17:52 ET and still stuck there. I don't understand what is to inspect in a diecast model, although I do get the point that there is a queue before my package. Or maybe they're really living up to the "6 to 8 weeks for USPS Ground" thing. Hopefully nobody lost/stole/swapped my package.
Also, can someone confirm that "the bigger it is, the longer it takes" rumor?

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #22 of 24
Three days, still there. I mean, if they don't release it today, it'll be stuck there for the freakin' weekend, 'cuz nobody works weekends, right? Dear Lord. It's a freakin' diecast car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back