USPS International - how does this work?
Sep 30, 2010 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Banned at his own request
I recently purchased something from the Internet (GM-affiliate, I believe). The shipping, by USPS, is already half what the item is worth. But they explained to me that the item is so big and heavy that it will not fit in neither Medium or Large flat-rate Int'l boxes so that's why shipping is so much. They quoted that FedEx would cost as much as the item. So I took the USPS option.
Then today I went to my account on that website and saw my order as Shipped. Good. I did not receive an E-mail confirmation. But it is shipped.
Then this hit me: how am I supposed to track it. I found contradicting sayings on the Web that say either "Priority cannot be tracked" or "anything other than the Envelope and the Small box can be tracked".
And when (if) the item arrives at the Canada/US border, it gets customs-ed, then what? Canada Post takes over? Are they going to issue me a tracking number or do I just have to wait for a very large box to show up with absolutely no way of tracking the item?
Since I live in Canada I do not understand how USPS works. I have E-mailed their customer service.
I am hoping that some of you guys here have some experiences. Thing is, I don't even know what particular method they are using. They say, on their site, for international orders to "expect 6-8 weeks for USPS Ground, 3-4 weeks for USPS Air".
But Canada is close enough to become the 51st State sooner or later.

Thank you very much.

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 24
Hello, I never purchased something too big, and I live in Brazil, which can be called the Tax Land, so I don't know if what I'm gonna tell you applies to your case, but anyway: if you can't find any kind of tracking code on the store you purchased the item, most likely you won't get any, since the store should provide you a tracking code.

As for the package being hold in the customs office, in this case you will receive a notification, but in most of cases, you just have to pay the customs taxes and withdraw the package in the closest post office. Otherwise, yes, you will pretty much have to wait until your package arrives.

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 24
There is no full blown tracking service for USPS, only Delivery Confirmation, through which you can generally expect that their site will tell you the package has been delivered. Sometimes it updates when it's been delivered, other times it will update a few days later to show that it's been delivered. Often times it will update to show progress but do not assume that it will. The package will probably go to some customs facility, be held there for a day or two, then go onwards to the final destination. After the hand-off to canada post, you should still be able to track the delivery of the package.

The distinction with USPS vs FedEx/UPS tracking services is that USPS only guarantees the delivery is confirmed while FedEx/UPS offer full tracking services.

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #4 of 24
Canada post will take it over. If it has tracking from USPS, the same number will be used with Canada Post. With the provided trackign number in USPS, it should tell you what service is being used. USPS priority usually takes anywhere between 5 to 10 business days for it to arrive from my experience.

Quote:
I recently purchased something from the Internet (GM-affiliate, I believe). The shipping, by USPS, is already half what the item is worth. But they explained to me that the item is so big and heavy that it will not fit in neither Medium or Large flat-rate Int'l boxes so that's why shipping is so much. They quoted that FedEx would cost as much as the item. So I took the USPS option.
Then today I went to my account on that website and saw my order as Shipped. Good. I did not receive an E-mail confirmation. But it is shipped.
Then this hit me: how am I supposed to track it. I found contradicting sayings on the Web that say either "Priority cannot be tracked" or "anything other than the Envelope and the Small box can be tracked".
And when (if) the item arrives at the Canada/US border, it gets customs-ed, then what? Canada Post takes over? Are they going to issue me a tracking number or do I just have to wait for a very large box to show up with absolutely no way of tracking the item?
Since I live in Canada I do not understand how USPS works. I have E-mailed their customer service.
I am hoping that some of you guys here have some experiences. Thing is, I don't even know what particular method they are using. They say, on their site, for international orders to "expect 6-8 weeks for USPS Ground, 3-4 weeks for USPS Air".
But Canada is close enough to become the 51st State sooner or later.

Thank you very much.

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 24
Always go with International Express service if possible. For parcels the increase in price is minimal compared to the increase speed and tracking/confirmation services. But at extreme weights maybe the price increase is greater, so YMMV.

Oct 1, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 24
Alright, the seller gave me the tracking number and it is Priority Mail International Parcel. Now begins the two-week wait for the item...
popcorn.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 24

Quote:
There is no full blown tracking service for USPS, only Delivery Confirmation, through which you can generally expect that their site will tell you the package has been delivered. Sometimes it updates when it's been delivered, other times it will update a few days later to show that it's been delivered. Often times it will update to show progress but do not assume that it will. The package will probably go to some customs facility, be held there for a day or two, then go onwards to the final destination. After the hand-off to canada post, you should still be able to track the delivery of the package.

The distinction with USPS vs FedEx/UPS tracking services is that USPS only guarantees the delivery is confirmed while FedEx/UPS offer full tracking services.

This isn't true for international packages.  Priority Mail International (other than the small flat rate box and envelope) and Express Mail International both come with full tracking, which is not the same thing as delivery confirmation.

Quote:
Canada post will take it over. If it has tracking from USPS, the same number will be used with Canada Post. With the provided trackign number in USPS, it should tell you what service is being used. USPS priority usually takes anywhere between 5 to 10 business days for it to arrive from my experience.

Correct.  Priority has been pretty awesome for the past few years.  I typically receive packages in five business days.  There is very occasionally a customs delay (up to a week once or twice), but it isn't typical.  I generally expect a package to arrive about a week after it's mailed.

Quote:
Always go with International Express service if possible. For parcels the increase in price is minimal compared to the increase speed and tracking/confirmation services. But at extreme weights maybe the price increase is greater, so YMMV.

Express Mail is often almost twice the price of Priority for very little difference in delivery speed.  I stopped paying for EMS a long time ago.

Oct 2, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
Express Mail is often almost twice the price of Priority for very little difference in delivery speed.  I stopped paying for EMS a long time ago.

Well right now a 6 lb. box from the USA to Australia is $61.50 for Express and $52.25 Priority. The difference is even smaller if paid online (about $7), and a Large Flat Rate Box is in between at $55.95. I find these prices typical for other international destinations.

Also there is no extra fee for insurance, delivery confirmation and tracking, or return receipt when going Express so it makes no sense not to use Express when you use these extra services, considering the better tracking and the added speed.

I find when I send Priority that I can't track the package until after it's cleared customs so it's more of a delivery confirmation. With Express its a different kind of number thats on the waybill and not optional, so it actually tracks progress in a foreign country more often than not.

I find the difference in delivery time to be significant, down from 2-3 weeks to about a week.

Oct 2, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #10 of 24
Ah, I rarely buy stuff online anyway. Most of my 'good' gear is from HeadRoom and I didn't really worry about UPS.
Me purchasing such large and heavy objects won't happen again, I think.
Oh and the item just left the United States from Chicago. Deep-dish goodness. Although I didn't get any E-mail notifications, even though I signed up.
Oh well.

Oct 2, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #11 of 24

Quote:
I kind of figured we were all talking about shipping to Canada, not Australia, since even your location profile says Pacific Northwest.

It looks like the price difference is much smaller going overseas the than going to Canada/Mexico.

Oct 2, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 24
Another question - on the USPS tracking page, it says Expected delivery - 4 October 2010. But doesn't Priority Mail International take 6 to 10 days?
Does their Expected delivery mean "arriving at the Canadian border" or really "arriving in the recipient's hands"?

Oct 2, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #13 of 24
Could you post or PM me the tracking number?  I've never seen an ETA shown that way before.

e: Nothing to be worried about, anyway.  I have no idea what the ETA is referring to, but I wouldn't expect it to show up on Monday.  Priority is very fast (five business days) most of the time, though.  Also, once it's left the States, you're better off tracking it on canadapost.ca.

Oct 2, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #14 of 24
Although I am very proud to be a Canadian citizen, I do occasionally wish that Canada was a part of the US. Many things would get much easier, such as shipping. Oh, and don't get political with this.
Just gonna wait. But if it shows up Monday then this would officially be the fastest package I have ever received.

EDIT I: It seems like that 4 October is the reach-Canadian-borders date, because as of right now it is still 'en route to Canada'...

EDIT II: Well it's October 4 and neither the info on USPS nor Canada Post has changed as of 9:50 PM ET. Hmm. If it still doesn't change as of tomorrow then this is getting real funny.

EDIT III: Well the item has arrived in Canada last night and "will be reviewed by customs". Come on. It's a diecast. Hopefully won't take more than two days.

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 24
Sorry for the continuous bumping, but generally how long does Customs Canada detain an object? I've seen, on Red Flag Deals, anywhere among 3 hours, 1-4 days, 21 days, 3-4 months (yes, months), one freakin' year and "as long as they want".
I'm... quite eager to obtain the item.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the vendor website does say "Please allow 6-8 weeks for USPS Surface". What, for a diecast car?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back