Using PCI Sound Card w/ a Laptop?
Jul 27, 2004 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Zoide

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there any way of using a PCI sound card (like the 1212m) with a laptop?

Jul 27, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
No.

There are no adapters or anything for doing this?

Jul 27, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 20
No. That's asking quite a lot...
Instead, you could look into Terratec's Firewire version of Aureon 7.1..
smily_headphones1.gif

assuming, of course, that you have Firewire port.
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by proxops-pete
No. That's asking quite a lot...
Instead, you could look into Terratec's Firewire version of Aureon 7.1..
smily_headphones1.gif

assuming, of course, that you have Firewire port.
tongue.gif

Oh, I do have one, but I seriously doubt that the Aureon could compete with the 1212m...
frown.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Oh, I do have one, but I seriously doubt that the Aureon could compete with the 1212m...
frown.gif

Did you or anybody else run any comparison tests?

Jul 28, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #8 of 20
Not an entirely silly question, since I have an elderly Thinkpad sitting here with an enormous docking station which includes not only an extra hard drive, but also a couple of ISA expansion slots. However, I'm not aware of any laptops in the PCI era which had expansion slots in the docking station -- that sort of thing has pretty much been superseded by USB and Cardbus.

Funny thing is, Cardbus is basically a hotplug PCI bus with different connectors, but I don't think E-MU would be able to fit the 1212M onto a Cardbus card and maintain the same quality. Nice theoretical exercise, though.

Jul 28, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
Not an entirely silly question, since I have an elderly Thinkpad sitting here with an enormous docking station which includes not only an extra hard drive, but also a couple of ISA expansion slots. However, I'm not aware of any laptops in the PCI era which had expansion slots in the docking station -- that sort of thing has pretty much been superseded by USB and Cardbus.

Funny thing is, Cardbus is basically a hotplug PCI bus with different connectors, but I don't think E-MU would be able to fit the 1212M onto a Cardbus card and maintain the same quality. Nice theoretical exercise, though.

But what about simply using an adapter as opposed to trying to cram the card into a tiny form factor? There are many hard drive "enclosures" that basically convert internal drives from IDE to USB/Firewire... Why can't there be a similar, affordable way to do this with PCI and PCMCIA?

I've found a PCI to PCMCIA device made by Magma, but it costs hundreds of dollars... (about $800+ I think).

Jul 28, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
But what about simply using an adapter as opposed to trying to cram the card into a tiny form factor? There are many hard drive "enclosures" that basically convert internal drives from IDE to USB/Firewire... Why can't there be a similar, affordable way to do this with PCI and PCMCIA?

I've found a PCI to PCMCIA device made by Magma, but it costs hundreds of dollars... (about $800+ I think).

Well, there's a good market for Cardbus-to-PCI converters, since a lot of desktop WLAN cards are actually just a Cardbus adapter in a PCI converter, but there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of demand for a converter going the other way. Attaching an external enclosure with a PCI card to your notebook would make it bulky and non-portable, so in a situation like that you'd usually just use a desktop PC and put the PCI card inside it. Those Magma expansion devices are nice looking, but their use is probably limited to some specialized industrial and military applications, which is why they're so expensive.

What you're asking about is technically feasible, but financially impractical because there's so little demand for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back