Using foobar to send file to HQPlayer?
Apr 3, 2024 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sunjam

Head-Fier
Sorry for my ignorance. Just wondering if there is any way to use foobar to send file to HQPlayer? Similar to what Roon is doing?

I did try to use the vitual cable (www.vb-cable.com) via wasapi into HQPlayer. It works but I have to change the input bitrate for the HQPlayer whenever I change the source file bitrate. It is quite annoying.

Is there any better way?

Is it possible to have foobar send to local HQPlayer via NAA (that also run locally)?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 8
Sorry for my ignorance. Just wondering if there is any way to use foobar to send file to HQPlayer? Similar to what Roon is doing?

I did try to use the vitual cable (www.vb-cable.com) via wasapi into HQPlayer. It works but I have to change the input bitrate for the HQPlayer whenever I change the source file bitrate. It is quite annoying.

Is there any better way?

Is it possible to have foobar send to local HQPlayer via NAA (that also run locally)?

Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately the only virtual cable I'm aware of that supports automatic sample rate adjustment is 'Virtual Audio Cable', but whilst it supports SR adjustment, you'll still need to stop HQP and select the new input rate each time anyway.

Additionally, worth noting that VB-Cable is not bitperfect. They have a bitperfect one called 'VB HiFi Cable' but you'll need to manually set sample rate in windows settings each time for both the virtual input and virtual output device (and change HQP input).

VAC (the one I linked above) can be bitperfect if you configure settings correctly.

The only way to stream music into HQP and have it adjust sample rate, and remain bitperfect all automatically would be to use Roon. With foobar your best bet would be to have a bitperfect virtual cable that is set to 44.1khz so that the majority of music works correctly, but configure Foobar to downsample everything else to 44.1khz.

If you can, Roon is definitely really really worth it though. There's a 2 week free trial you can check out

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 8
The only way to stream music into HQP and have it adjust sample rate, and remain bitperfect all automatically would be to use Roon. With foobar your best bet would be to have a bitperfect virtual cable that is set to 44.1khz so that the majority of music works correctly, but configure Foobar to downsample everything else to 44.1khz.
Or you can use HQP Embedded with UPNP input as I mentioned above. Shouldn't need to mess with virtual audio cables or other hacks like that.

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 8
Or you can use HQP Embedded with UPNP input as I mentioned above. Shouldn't need to mess with virtual audio cables or other hacks like that.
That should work but unfortunately would require having foobar and HQP embedded on separate machines plus buying another license as the regular and embedded HQP versions require separate purchases

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 8
That should work but unfortunately would require having foobar and HQP embedded on separate machines plus buying another license as the regular and embedded HQP versions require separate purchases
Does it? I don't know much about Window's network stack, but I feel like you would be able to do it on Linux... really? It won't see a localhost endpoint? Does OP have a desktop license? I don't recall reading that, but I may have missed it.

Could try it with a trial of embedded and Jussi may be sympathetic to their situation 🤷‍♂️

I still think it's worth trying, and it would provide a clean way to handle input sample rates. HQP's licensing is indeed unfortunate. Embedded is tied to your hardware as well, you're really intended to build a machine and buy an embedded license for it, rather than just running it on your desktop (especially since you cannot use the license when you eventually get a new computer). You are allowed "a reasonable" amount of hardware key changes tho, but I still find that to be unfortunate. The UPNP support is very useful tho. Otherwise you're limited to using it with Roon or HQP's own UI / remote / client app. With embedded I can just pipe my favorite™ player right into HQP, just as with works with Roon and I don't have to touch HQP other than to change filters. Is very nice.

So, if one hasn't purchased the desktop license, do consider going the embedded route. Do be aware of the hardware license restrictions tho, or spend a bit more for the USB stick

EDIT: I think I've forgotten something very important... embedded only runs on Linux... tho it should run just fine in WSL (I would run HQP in WSL and then NAA on Windows if you wanted desktop playback in this configuration)

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 8
Unfortunately the only virtual cable I'm aware of that supports automatic sample rate adjustment is 'Virtual Audio Cable', but whilst it supports SR adjustment, you'll still need to stop HQP and select the new input rate each time anyway.

Additionally, worth noting that VB-Cable is not bitperfect. They have a bitperfect one called 'VB HiFi Cable' but you'll need to manually set sample rate in windows settings each time for both the virtual input and virtual output device (and change HQP input).
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am using the VB HiFi cable, it works ok but somehow I hear cracking noise with rate higher than 192k. Moreover, I think it only supports up to 384k.

I was thinking to use PGGB-rt (768k) to drive HQPlayer. Do you know if VAC supports 768k or higher?

Roon is a good solution but I cannot put in PGGB-rt in between I think. Cheers.

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am using the VB HiFi cable, it works ok but somehow I hear cracking noise with rate higher than 192k. Moreover, I think it only supports up to 384k.

I was thinking to use PGGB-rt (768k) to drive HQPlayer. Do you know if VAC supports 768k or higher?

Roon is a good solution but I cannot put in PGGB-rt in between I think. Cheers.
Don't think there are any virtual cables that support 768khz as you'd need ASIO for that.

You can't use PGGB-rt with roon, but can use either PGGB'ed files, or, Roon has inbuilt support for HQPlayer which is what I typically do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back