Using cheap DVD-Ps as CDPs
Feb 3, 2004 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

peter braun

500+ Head-Fier
I have just bought a reciever off of e-bay with which I would like to use with an inexpensive DVD player for standard cd use. My roomate however does not wish to use the DVD player as a CDP, as he has heard that using DVD players as CDPs decreases their longevity. Is there any basis for this? How is could playing cds through the DVD player decrease the lifespan of the unit? Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

Feb 3, 2004 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 11
Well, I'm sure that using the DVD player more often to play CDs (assuming you play more CDs than you would just DVDs) does slowly wear down the unit faster than just playing DVDs. Beyond normal wear and tear, I don't see why there would be a reason for his thinking. Should that be a reason to not to use it as a CDP, I don't think so.

Feb 3, 2004 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 11
Daemoth,

Though it probably isn't my place to make assumptions about anothers buying habits, I wouldn't imagine your roomate would intend to keep the DVD player as long as its lifespan with the way technology is changing and prices are dropping.

I mean, my dad has a Pioneer DV-434 he's been using exclusivly as a transport for atleast 4 years and I myself have used a DV-414 for thousands of hours of music.

Feb 3, 2004 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 11
Playing CDs or DVDs shouldn't make a difference other than you might get more play time if you're playing both. Given how fast gear is improving, and the amazing proliferation of new formats, is it really worth milking the lifetime of the DVD player out?
confused.gif

Feb 3, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 11
DVD players are so cheap now. Why get 2 separate players in your case? Just get the DVD player and if it breaks, get another one. In the end it's nearly the same $ spent.

Feb 3, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 11
Oh please... when it breaks, just buy another $50 one. Or buy a $50 one now and use that. What's the point of having something and not using it to its full potential? Sounds like there's something more than player longevity going on here.

Anyway, CD playback on DVD players varies greatly. My cheapo Sony is mediocre at best.

Feb 3, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 11
I think it would depend from player to player... most drive mechanisms will last for well over 10,000 hours, I think MTF is like 50,000 for a typical player (like, over 5 years of continuous use). By the time it wears out, you'll have wanted to upgrade to another one anyway if you're a person that goes on here at all!

Feb 3, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #11 of 11
1) seriously doubt it affects lifespan

2) DVD-HD and BluRay and all that crap is probably less than 5 years down the pipe, so obsolescence and worthlessness is already clearly in view for current DVD players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back