Using a smartphone as portable source gear?
Jun 2, 2020 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

yong_shun

1000+ Head-Fier
I think it is always a debate - whether I need a digital audio player (DAP)? Can't I use my phone as a source? Personally, as a DAP user, I would say I use DAP as a music source because I do not want my phone battery to be spent on music playback. I would rather bring a DAP with me solely for music listening. The other concern is memory. As an iPhone user, I want my 256GB onboard memory to be well-spent for photos etc.

If the above two concerns are irrelevant to you, I think using a smartphone as a music source is definitely not an issue. But how? I tried this yesterday and I think it is worth sharing. This is for iPhone but I think can be relevant to Android users. First of all, the music player application on your phone will be important. The application should be able to playback most of the file type with different bit and sampling rate. I spent SGD$15 to purchase the Onkyo Singapore HF Player from App Store and it fulfil all the basic requirements.

DD6F1B1F-4015-4D7D-90A3-8ECC958D2AF0_1_201_a.jpeg

Now, moving your recordings to the phone. For Android users, a SD card would be useful so the recordings do not consume your onboard memory. For iPhone users, no choice, you have to mess around with what you have. I am glad that I have 256GB onboard and normally I store my photos on iCloud (with subscription). So, I have plenty of memory space for my recordings. Connect your iPhone to iTunes via PC, go to file sharing and drag your music library into Onkyo HF Player. Once the copying is completed, you are good to go.
Next, getting an external USB DAC and amplifier. I think as an audiophile, everyone should understand the capabilities of an external USB DAC and amplifier. It helps to decode and amplify the recordings better. I use Lotoo Paw S1. The retail price is SGD$269 for bundle with iPhone OTG cable. It connects to iPhone easily and works flawlessly.

ADD9224A-7D2B-4710-BADD-82CD33E6E033_1_201_a.jpeg

Last but not least, a pair of decent headphones or IEMs. Since you save some money from investing a DAP, probably you can get a more decent headphones or IEMs here. I am pairing this setup with my Itsfit LAB - Custom IEMs Fusion CIEMs. With the 4.4mm balanced stock cable, I get to utilised the balanced output implemented in Paw S1. It gives a lower noise floor and greater output power.

2FB1E4D2-0C56-4460-9A5A-C798CF10E058_1_201_a.jpeg

To conclude, the total cost for this setup is SGD$1584 (Fusion is retailing at ~SGD$1300). The total price is dependent on the USB DAC and IEMs chosen. This could be a good path for you especially if you have a stricter budget. Audio is no longer a rich man's hobby. We have tons of alternatives. Let me know if you have any doubts, we can discuss them together! Cheers!

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 10
If you want to use a phone as a source, use an iPhone it will not give Operating system conflicts.

That way you can use official apps and not be stuck on UAPP/HiBy Music/etc. on Android phones.

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 10
I use a decent phone with 512GB built-in and a 512GB microSD with a cheap (but excellent) Fiio BTR5 that I'm sure is a match or better than the expensive Lotoo Paw S1.

I used balanced with my K10U (also sound fantastic via LDAC BT too). About $4 for UAPP app.

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 10
If you want to use a phone as a source, use an iPhone it will not give Operating system conflicts.

That way you can use official apps and not be stuck on UAPP/HiBy Music/etc. on Android phones.

I can't sink so low as to use an iPhone, sorry. UAPP been rock solid for me on all my recent phones (LG V30, S10+). No iPhone can do LDAC BT either, think they only just added aptxHD on the expensive ones.

I do still have the tiny 128GB iPhone SE but that maxes out at 16/48 I think without using a dedicated app (same as with UAPP on Android).

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 10
I can't sink so low as to use an iPhone, sorry. UAPP been rock solid for me on all my recent phones (LG V30, S10+). No iPhone can do LDAC BT either, think they only just added aptxHD on the expensive ones.

I do still have the tiny 128GB iPhone SE but that maxes out at 16/48 I think without using a dedicated app (same as with UAPP on Android).
Yes, iPhone does not have LDAC capability but I do not normally use Bluetooth. Regarding is BTR5 better than Lotoo Paw S1, I think this can be a discussion. I have Bluetooth DAC like Shanling UP4 and ES100. Both of them are giving me good freedom to move around (because it is wireless). But I think my Lotoo Paw S1 is giving me a more better sonic quality. Perhaps, I shall use the LDAC in Shanling UP4 and ES100 to compared but based on calculation some of my Hi-Res recordings will be compressed even LDAC is delivering at 990kbps.

Jun 3, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 10
Yes, iPhone does not have LDAC capability but I do not normally use Bluetooth. Regarding is BTR5 better than Lotoo Paw S1, I think this can be a discussion. I have Bluetooth DAC like Shanling UP4 and ES100. Both of them are giving me good freedom to move around (because it is wireless). But I think my Lotoo Paw S1 is giving me a more better sonic quality. Perhaps, I shall use the LDAC in Shanling UP4 and ES100 to compared but based on calculation some of my Hi-Res recordings will be compressed even LDAC is delivering at 990kbps.

I meant BTR5 wired and balance likely as good or better than S1 wired and balanced for much less cost.

Jun 3, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #8 of 10
I meant BTR5 wired and balance likely as good or better than S1 wired and balanced for much less cost.
I did not try BTR5 yet but BTR3 is too coloured for me. Maybe BTR5 improves a lot. I shall compare it to my Lotoo Paw S1.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 10
I was shocked at how good my Audeze earbuds sound with my iPhone. But, the i3s are very expensive. My friend loves his Sine10s. Which are on sale. I also have a DAP, I couldn’t believe that the sound from the iPhone was as good, or better. The Audeze has their propriety “cipher” cable which is also a Dac. I have no affiliation. I use Qobuz to stream high-resolution from the iPhone. Don’t knock it unless you’ve tried it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back