Using a DAC vs. Auzentech Prelude?
May 25, 2009 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

KLJTech

1000+ Head-Fier
I know that this sounds like an easy question since as music lovers and audiophiles it’s always easy to say “of course you need to upgrade to the _____” fill in the blank. I’m currently using a Auzentech Prelude sound card in my PC and have DH Labs Revelation interconnects running from the card to my preamp. I’d like to know if I would hear a worthwhile improvement if I were to buy one of three stand alone DAC’s and just use the Preludes coax output.

The reason the choice is from these three DAC’s is because I can get a discount price on these units and if not for the discount I wouldn’t be spending the money at this time. The DAC’s I’d be choosing from are the PS Audio Digital Link III, the Music Hall DAC 25.2 or the Cambridge Dac Magic. Has anyone here used the Prelude with any of these units or listened to that card and any of these units enough to know for certain that the purchase of a standalone DAC would be a noticeable improvement?

When listening to music from my PC I use Foobar2000 and all of my music was ripped using EAC and in FLAC format. At the moment I’m using a B&K preamp and an Aragon 4004 amp with either B&W 805’s or B&W CDM 1NT’s (sometimes I use Magnepan 1.6’s that normally are used in the living room) with a Velodyne sub. When using a headphone, which is a lot of the time, I use the Cute Beyond with Supplier with either my Grado 325i’s or AKG 701’s.

I’ve owned and enjoyed a few different DAC’s in the past with a regular CD transport but I’ve never used the digital out from a soundcard to a DAC and I’m unsure of how much improvement any of the three DAC’s mentioned would make.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

May 26, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 4
Has anyone heard either the PS Audio Digital Link III, the Music Hall DAC 25.2 or the Cambridge Dac Magic? Is it a solid upgrade over the Prelude sound card alone or would a more expensive DAC be needed?
Thanks.

May 26, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 4
Screw the prelude and sell it!
Does your motherboard have an onboard audio codec that can output a bit perfect digital signal? If so hook it up to an external DAC via coaxial if you don't get any interference or TOSlink.
If you're looking for a good DAC/HeadAmp combo, the Compass is the way to go. For any other standalone DACs you'll have to ask around and it depends on how much money you are willing to sped. The Dacmagic is a good one but I'd go for a non oversampling DAC like the ones Audio-GD have.

Also, use WASAPI DSP with Foobar2000.

May 26, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 4
Also, use WASAPI DSP with Foobar2000.

I'm using Windows XP Professional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back