Used Car Help
Feb 9, 2010 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

uraflit

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I am in the market to buy a used car! I have about ~$3,000-$4,000 to spend and would like to see what you guys would suggest.

The car will only be used to commute. Other than the basics and air conditioning, there is nothing else I'd really NEED. I also do not care for the looks of the car, but I'm guessing a sedan is the cheapest option.

From my limited knowledge, I was looking for late 90s Honda Civics/Accords. And, is there any major scams/things to look out for when buying a used car?

I trust you guys the most
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 7
A small compact car is your friend. Good on gas, cheaper parts, decent used prices.

Things to consider when buying used:

1) Test drive it as much as you can. Question anything. What was that noise? Is this light always off? How old are these tires? You're only going to get a small amount of time to drive around, so make sure you notice anything that might be off.

2) Don't be afraid to ask these questions. It's in a used car dealers best interest that you don't ask questions. All they have to say later is "that wasn't like it when we sold it to you". What can you say to that?

3) Bargain if you can. You might need a new car, but they need your business. There are tons of places selling cars, and you can take your money anywhere. Play a little hard ball. Be a dick about it if you want. If they aren't willing to cut you a deal, let them know you'll "think about it".

4) Don't fall in love with a car. The moment a used car dealer sees you really want something, they know you won't bargain or question anything. Try a few. Ask lots of questions, and don't be afraid to walk away. It's more likely they will offer you a discount if you seem like you don't care.

5) If you are buying from a private dealer, not much changes. You have money, they want it. Ask questions, bargain, and if it doesn't seem legit, walk away.

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 7
Once you've narrowed down your choices, it also pays to pay the $100-150 to have a mobile inspection done on the car to make sure everything checks out. Carfax reports and the like only do so much. Also, I'd check maintenance schedules and see if there are any big service items due to come up soon as you can use that to your advantage while bargaining. Check out Edmunds.com too, as it is a very helpful site when researching used cars.

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 7
If you figure out what model car you're looking for, check out an online forum dedicated to that make or model and do some research. Car forums (the ones I go to anyway) have a really terrible SNR but there is good info if you spend the time to look. If you go into the dealer to look at Civics, don't get pushed into buying another car without going home and doing some research first. I walked into a dealer looking at used cars of one model, test drove another model and liked it, and bought that other model that same day. Looking back, I wish I would have gone home and done some research on it before buying. Very bad/stupid decision on my part but luckily I didn't get totally screwed on the deal. It was my first car purchase and it was a great learning experience. I feel that when I go out to get my next car I will be better prepared.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #5 of 7
Great advice so far.

Don't fall for a particular car or a specific model. Keep your options open and choose four or five models you want. Don't make an impulse buy, either, and always be prepared to walk. I'd also recommend turning down the car you want at first. Say that you like it, but that it isn't quite what you're looking for, you have an appointment to see another one, etc. That usually prompts the seller to drop the price on the spot, or you can call back a day later and ask if they can do any better. If it sells before you get it, no big deal. There are lots of good cars out there.

If you're looking for basic transportation, try to stick with economy cars without a lot of features. The more stuff on the car the more likely it is to break. The most reliable cars I've ever had have been the simplest ones. I didn't miss the features, either.

Also, can you drive a clutch? I prefer them, but a lot of people don't. You can usually get a stick for less than an automatic, and I think they're better cars. For one, a new clutch is much cheaper than a new transmission. A new transmission can be $3k and up. A clutch is usually $1k, but you can usually DIY one for $500. Sticks get better mileage and they're more fun to drive, too. If you've never driven one, don't worry. They're easy and you'll end up loving it in a week or two.

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 7
thing is, i'm asking about this for someone else--they only drive auto =P

looks to me i have alot of research to do

but some key points i have gotten SO FAR: basic, ask questions, carfax, and "patience"

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #7 of 7
Ah, but the clutch is easy. Take the car to an empty parking lot and put it in first.

Keep your foot off the gas and get the car moving using only the clutch without stalling. Once you understand the clutch take-up and master this (an hour or two) you can drive one without worry.
smily_headphones1.gif

It takes about a day to get a feel for driving a clutch. In a week, you'll shift without having to think about it. In a month, you won't want to drive anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back