Use full-size headphone amp with iPhone?
Jan 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Coleb

New Head-Fier
Hi, this may seem like a strange and newbie question.  But can I use a full size (non-portable) headphone amp with my iPhone 4S?  I am not planning to use it on the go, its just that my computer (which is a desktop) is in a less then ideal location to listen to music, so I want to use my iPhone with all my music to listen somewhere else in my house.  So could I just get a quality amp and plug it into an outlet and then my iPhone through a LOD?  I don't have too much knowledge on full-sized/desktop amps, so I am not sure if I am missing something obvious or not.  So is it possible to use a full sized amp with my iPhone as long as I remain stationary?

Thanks!

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 9
Which headphones you have in mind? Or budget?  There are good full size headphones easily driven by small power devices. You could in theory use "hi-end" headphones without an amp, but the sound will be very limited in terms of volume and quality.  

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 9
I think I have settled on the Hifiman HE-400.  I am going to be running it through my iPhone 4S with a LOD into an amp.  I have heard that The O2 and Asgard are both great options and with the newer Magni I may be able to save some money.  So I am thinking about one of those.  I just want to make sure that I can use them with my iPhone, as long as I still have them plugged into a power source.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Hi, this may seem like a strange and newbie question.  But can I use a full size (non-portable) headphone amp with my iPhone 4S?  I am not planning to use it on the go, its just that my computer (which is a desktop) is in a less then ideal location to listen to music, so I want to use my iPhone with all my music to listen somewhere else in my house.  So could I just get a quality amp and plug it into an outlet and then my iPhone through a LOD?  I don't have too much knowledge on full-sized/desktop amps, so I am not sure if I am missing something obvious or not.  So is it possible to use a full sized amp with my iPhone as long as I remain stationary?

Thanks!

Absolutely. The 4S is a great source.  Just make sure you bypass the internal amp via line-out.  You can use an iPod dock, an LOD or RCA to dock cable.  Then if you like and have a large music library you can enable Home Sharing in iTunes and on the 4S.  Now you can listen to your library without physically having the tunes on your phone.

Cheers!!!

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Absolutely. The 4S is a great source.  Just make sure you bypass the internal amp via line-out.  You can use an iPod dock, an LOD or RCA to dock cable.  Then if you like and have a large music library you can enable Home Sharing in iTunes and on the 4S.  Now you can listen to your library without physically having the tunes on your phone.

Cheers!!!

Thanks for the advice!

Does a LOD, Dock, or RCA to dock cable have any difference in quality, or is one better than the other?  And I have been looking to buy a LOD, do you know where I could buy a good one for around $30?

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 9
All work well in bypassing the internal amp. I've collected various docks through the years and the only one that the 'line in' was a bit too hot with the gain was the PIPADK1. It introduced a small bit of distortion. All the others work great.

For cables (RCA or mini to dock connector) RAM Electronics has a great selection. For shorter LODs the Fiio offerings are good.

Cheers!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 9
So if I were to get a Schiit Magni which has those red and white inputs, I would need something like this?

And then if I got a JDS Labs Objective 2, I would just need one of these right?

And the quality on these cables (from RAM Electronics) is quite good?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back