USB to SPDIF converter OR dedicated computer w/ SPDIF out?
Dec 13, 2011 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

tf1216

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

Would anyone have experience with a ~$500 USB to SPDIF converter and/or a dedicated computer for music playback.  I am contemplating purchasing a JKSPDIF MK3 or building a dedicate computer to play my music.  I don't have any friends in the Minneapolis area that has one of these options to try.  I am hoping to better the sound using the USB out from a laptop into my JH3A.  All my music is stored on an external hard drive.

Anyone have any input?  I tried searching for some answers but my keywords did not distinguish my interests well.

Thanks!

P.S.  I am using jplay at the moment if that helps anyone.  If I built a dedicated PC I would install the demo version of Windows 8.

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 34
Using spdif out from your soundcard is certainly an option. But i would assume that a usb to spdif converter would be the better option.
Why? Because it will reclock the bitstream as it is converting it to spdif format. So the resulting signal will most likely have lower jitter than connecting straight to an optical or coaxial outut of your motherboard or soundcard.
I own a few of these converters. And they work as advertized.
The improvements to the sound are neither substantial nor subtle. But, worth it by our audiophile standards.
I highly recommend the Bridge by Halide Design. It is an all in one unit. So no expensive usb cables or coax cables required. It only goes up to 96khz sample rate but that is okay for me.
Moon audio now sells it, and it is only $400.
The m2tech evo is "potentially" nicer. But to hear it sound better than the bridge, you have to replace the wall wart power supply, and use better quality cables. Which will make it cost well over twice as much as the Bridge...
Best of luck in setting up your rig...

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 34
I recently did this experiment and commented on the effects in the Computer forum in the Audiophilleo sub-forum. My optical out from my soundcard to my system was not very good as compared to my Audiophilleo2 usb converter. Now, that improvement was noticed on my reference system costing over $4000. We are talking about about a $600 converter and the results were favorable but not mind shattering. My suggestion is that with the system you display, the AP2 or Halide is overkill. The AGD digital interface (w/o psu) or similar would be more appropriate IMO. I would also suggest selling those "premium" cables you have to fund hardware improvements like this.

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #4 of 34
The best option IMO is to use both a dedicated computer and a USB > S/Pdif converter or DAC. I don't see any reason to use Windows 8 beta though. Windows 7 is perfectly fine with most of its services disabled and running in KS mode. Or you can use one of the very lightweight Linux builds designed strictly for audio. W7 is more universally compatible though, and when running JPlay I think can match anything else including the OSX software that sells for hundreds of dollars.

If you would rather use your laptop, buy something like the Lab Brick USB hub, and if you really want to go the extra mile, replace the hub's power supply with something like a Hynes regulated linear PS. Laptop supplied USB power is lousy. That should get you at least pretty close to the performance of a dedicated computer.

The Halide Bridge is mediocre and outdated. For similar money the Audiophilleo1 and JKMK3 are much better products. The EVO is similarly mediocre.

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #5 of 34
The Halide Bridge is mediocre and outdated. For similar money the Audiophilleo1 and JKMK3 are much better products. The EVO is similarly mediocre.

If you're going to take a crap on my recommendation, dave, You better have spent good listening time with the bridge. Otherwise, watch your manners.:mad:

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #6 of 34

Quote:
If you're going to take a crap on my recommendation, dave, You better have spent good listening time with the bridge. Otherwise, watch your manners.
mad.gif

I have heard it. It was decent enough when it was released, but the USB converter market has advanced at an incredibly fast rate, and it simply can't keep up with newer products. I'm not talking about the 24/96 limitation either. The AP2 and the JKMK3 use better components, and sound and measure much better. That's the truth. I wasn't trying to make any kind of personal attack, just offering my experience and advice of what I think are currently the best products at the $500 level, and the Bridge and EVO are not on that list.

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 34

Quote:
I have heard it. It was decent enough when it was released, but the USB converter market has advanced at an incredibly fast rate, and it simply can't keep up with newer products. I'm not talking about the 24/96 limitation either. The AP2 and the JKMK3 use better components, and sound and measure much better. That's the truth.

well.  i can believe that about the audiophilleo.  sure.
but, jkenny's hiface?  how is a modded hiface besting other products?  it's just a battery, right?
so, if my evo is being run off battery, isn't it fair to say that it competes with JKMK3 ???

Dec 14, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #8 of 34

Quote:
well.  i can believe that about the audiophilleo.  sure.
but, jkenny's hiface?  how is a modded hiface besting other products?  it's just a battery, right?
so, if my evo is being run off battery, isn't it fair to say that it competes with JKMK3 ???

John Kenny's earliest modification was just to replace the power feeding the Hiface's clocks with batteries, yes. The MK3 version is a completely different animal. Per the website:
  1. the MK3 runs solely from 2 internal batteries
  2. the SPDIF output stage has been completely changed
  3. the Wolfson chip that generates the SPDIF signal operates from the battery 3.3V supply - the MK2 uses a Texas Instruments chip to generate SPDIF - this is runs off a 5V regulator which is powered from an external PS
  4. the Mk2 uses a transformer on the SPDIF output  & outputs a high SPDIF signal; 
  5. the MK3 reduces this SPDIF signal level & maintains 75ohm impedance.
  6. avoiding SPDIF transformers can prove to be beneficial.

The M2Tech Hiface has a ton of flaws, and is definitely a worse product than the Bridge and even some of the older adaptive mode converters. The MK3 Hiface mod is a completely different with essentially all of those flaws corrected. John Darko has described it as both equal and better than the Audiophilleo, depending on the DAC being used at the time.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 34
I know there is a HUGE difference in price, but can anyone compare Musiland US02 and Stello U3?

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #13 of 34

In my opinion if you're on a budget get the Musiland and spend the rest on Dac, headphones, speakers etc.

If it's cost-no-object you may prefer the peace of mind of a $500 USB converter.

The Kernel Streaming from Foobar has unlocked my 24/192 content, I find the difference a little more audible now. Using MM01 and driver version 1.0.7.0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back