USB Strikes Back! Watch out AOIP - USB/Ethernet Chain beats All (at least for me)
Jan 2, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #182 of 573
Well, I listened to my Panasonic 8GB SLC microSD card against a USB flash drive, both plugged directly into my server.

I haven't set up my Adnaco optical boards yet to get the electrical isolation I want.

I was rooting for the flash drive because of the higher capacity and lower expense.

But it wasn't close. The microSD simply sounded much better. Smoother and larger soundstage. Just more pleasant in general.

Joel

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #183 of 573
Wow, you have me looking up the prices of SLC memory cards with your post.  Boy, are they not cheap!

I found some 32GB in CompactFlash size too: http://www.digikey.com/products/en?mpart=AF32GCFI-OEM&v=1282 

Jan 2, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #184 of 573
  Hi, i tried to add the Mutec MC3+ USB after the F1 as reclocker, but i prefer to run the F1 as stand alone, i like the sound characteristic of the F1 as it is, the black background, the micro details, the dynamic, the bass response, the smooth sound.....  , the difference was very small but i had the feeling this "blackness between the tones on some rhythmic music" was getting lost a little bit with the Mutec after the F1 so i dont use it actually, but this could also be caused by my 2nd digital cable,.... would be interesting what you find out,..

Greetings

Thx, I'll let the F1 run in for a few more days and then take the Mutec out, and let you know what I hear.

M

Jan 2, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #185 of 573
Idefender3+F1+spidif ipurifier after 2 days, so far music get kinda smoother, slight improvement on imaging. Next stop, changing of Physt Cable to a better one and perhaps a isilencer after idefender.
I have replacement hifimediy USB high speed galvanic isolator coming next week,will compare into the chain.

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #186 of 573
Well, I listened to my Panasonic 8GB SLC microSD card against a USB flash drive, both plugged directly into my server.

I haven't set up my Adnaco optical boards yet to get the electrical isolation I want.

I was rooting for the flash drive because of the higher capacity and lower expense.

But it wasn't close. The microSD simply sounded much better. Smoother and larger soundstage. Just more pleasant in general.

Joel

Ok I tried the same - but had the opposite result.  The microSD Card was more compressed and lacked the vibrancy of the USB 256GB PNY stick.  

Both plugged into the REX.

So I guess our set-up are completely different.  Your USB stick is plugged right into the noisy USB bus on the processor board - this defeats the purpose of the Statech - that is complete electrical isolation from the ground and power from the noisy PC.

Plugged directly into the server - I wouldn't expect much

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #187 of 573
  Wow, you have me looking up the prices of SLC memory cards with your post.  Boy, are they not cheap!

I found some 32GB in CompactFlash size too: http://www.digikey.com/products/en?mpart=AF32GCFI-OEM&v=1282 

I think he is using a micro SD vs a Compact Flash card.

8GB SLC - $116

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/swissbit/SFSD8192N1BM1MT-I-QG-221-STD/1052-1214-ND/5762231

That's the largest capacity I see at Digikey - don't trust Amazon, Ebay or even Newegg due to the counterfeiting going on.

But they do have a Compact Flash SLC 128GB for $800

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/swissbit/SFSD8192N1BM1MT-I-QG-221-STD/1052-1214-ND/5762231

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #188 of 573
Couldn't wait, so I removed the Mutec3+USB yesterday afternoon and did some listening.

The Mutec acts like a lense, it clarifies and focuses. Elements that were indistinct now can be clearly heard. In my system the Pros and Cons are:

Pro:
Clearer bass line ....on some tracks;
Added dynamics ....on some tracks;
Clearer detail ....on some tracks.

Con:
Added sharpness.

This edge is what can add to the dynamism of a track, really aids the attack on piano.

Moving to just the F1 the music felt more relaxed. On the whole I felt this was an advantage, but there were tracks where I missed the Mutec.

Overall I felt that the F1 presented a better soundscape. Although gentler things felt more of a piece. The Mutec can feel that it is artificially highlighting certain elements.

I have a playlist called 'Bad Tracks'. These are tracks that sound aggressive on my system. The Mutec highlights these issues. The F1 on its own does not 'solve' the issues, I think they are simply present in the mastering, but it doesn't push them in your face.

I am going to run with just the F1 for a week or so, then reinsert the Mutec and see what I think.

M

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #189 of 573
  Couldn't wait, so I removed the Mutec3+USB yesterday afternoon and did some listening.

The Mutec acts like a lense, it clarifies and focuses. Elements that were indistinct now can be clearly heard. In my system the Pros and Cons are:

Pro:
Clearer bass line ....on some tracks;
Added dynamics ....on some tracks;
Clearer detail ....on some tracks.

Con:
Added sharpness.

This edge is what can add to the dynamism of a track, really aids the attack on piano.

Moving to just the F1 the music felt more relaxed. On the whole I felt this was an advantage, but there were tracks where I missed the Mutec.

Overall I felt that the F1 presented a better soundscape. Although gentler things felt more of a piece. The Mutec can feel that it is artificially highlighting certain elements.

I have a playlist called 'Bad Tracks'. These are tracks that sound aggressive on my system. The Mutec highlights these issues. The F1 on its own does not 'solve' the issues, I think they are simply present in the mastering, but it doesn't push them in your face.

I am going to run with just the F1 for a week or so, then reinsert the Mutec and see what I think.

M

Very interesting - thanks for the detailed breakdown.

With my USB chain and Fidelizer Pro 'Purist' the detail is already tremendous - the best I've ever heard.  So I appreciate your experience - and has me less interested in trying the Mutec with this Ultra USB chain.  I don't know if greater detail would be productive - I can already hear so deep into the recording.  Right now the balance with rich tone is just right for my taste and system.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #190 of 573
Although my try with a MicroSD card in lieu of the PNY 256GB USB sitck did not pay off.  The MicroSd card I used was not a SLC version - but a Class 10 MLC.

So I think I'll order a smaller SLC MicroSD from Digikey to try.  It's only $20 but just 1GB - but enough to test some music tracks.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/atp-electronics-inc/AF1GUDI-OEM/AF1GUDI-OEM-ND/3770366

I ordered a different MicroSD USB adapter as well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EHIOS0S/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #191 of 573
Thanks to @joelha - on the SLC tip.

I see that Digikey also has SLC USB Flash drives - not cheap as well but worth a try for a low capacity to test:

$18 for a 1GB SLC USB stick - high read speed of 32MB/s
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/apacer-memory-america/APHA001GR23CG-2T/APHA001GR23CG-2T-ND/5250733

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #192 of 573
I don't know if greater detail would be productive - I can already hear so deep into the recording. 

I suspect that this wouldn't be an easy task ......but, would you mind picking two tracks that caused you WOW moments and writing a detailed breakdown of what you are hearing. I do appreciate that describing what you hear is NOT straightforward!

Thx,

M

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #193 of 573
http://www.ebay.com/itm/332006299046

i am ready to purchase startech, please check if this is the correct one. thank you very much.

at  startech device , you suggested to insert 3 usb stick (to store music)

1. what is the sq difference if music was stored at pc ?

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #194 of 573
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/332006299046

i am ready to purchase startech, please check if this is the correct one. thank you very much.

at  startech device , you suggested to insert 3 usb stick (to store music)

1. what is the sq difference if music was stored at pc ?

Yes that is the correct one.

But I see Amazon has them for a slightly lower price:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFGQESY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I notice a blacker background - greater detail and more dynamics.

The effect much less with an old 4GB USB stick I had - vs the newer high capacity 256GB PNY.  Note the better crystal clocks on the newer versions:

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #195 of 573

I suspect that this wouldn't be an easy task ......but, would you mind picking two tracks that caused you WOW moments and writing a detailed breakdown of what you are hearing. I do appreciate that describing what you hear is NOT straightforward!

Thx,

M

I thought of doing this but didn't want to make it seem music genre centered.  On EVERY recording I hear a major difference - on some it's a sea change difference.  And it appears the the bigger differences ares not based on recording age - but the creativity and genius in the production and performance.  Some recordings - many like the Super Albums of the 70's really stand out - but even on newer recordings.

So for an example last night I listened to Feist  'The Reminder' and Florence and the Machine 'Ceremonials' - two vastly different productions.  Feist - simpler - parts just pure solo vocal.  More of a relaxed performance relative to Florence's.  The difficulty lies in the natural, realistic presentation of Feist's dynamic vocals.   Florence - complex production -multiple background vocals, instrumental layering, at times quite intense.  So easy for a system to sound compressed and congested.

So on Feist for example, on 'So Sorry' her inflections have greater emotional conveyance - the subtle intonations readily discernible.  The simple tambourines presenting in space - so realistic.  The depth of the bass notes adding the foundation of the vocal - deep and resonant like I have never heard before. A vibrations texture - almost tactile.  Feist's awesome guitar playing - tapping.  The subtle string fingering - a hint of squeaking on chord changes.  So many details combining with the fantastic emotional vocal control and inflections - all sewn together into a whole cloth - seamless in sound staging.

But the magic is in both the micro dynamics (guitar) and the marvelous vocal macro dynamics - subtle then forceful - tonally dense.  Melodic - and soothing - then raw and intense.

I have never heard this song presented in this fashion.  It seems so simple at first listening on a 'normal' system - now I have a whole new appreciation in the production - the way the guitar, tambourine appear and disappear.  But most of all her ability to use the subtly of her vocal to convey a deeper level of emotion.   Great stuff!

On '1234' the toe tapping PRAT - shows off the wonderful Pace, Rhythm and Timing that this Ultra USB chain produces.  And where AOIP would sometimes fall short, losing PRAT to a clinical approach.  You just can't sit still - makes you want to dance!  The way the song builds and builds - again it's the little things and big.  At 2:12 minutes into the song a wonderful piano interlude appears, then the trumpet, all accompanied by the rhythmic background vocals.  And of course Feist's lead vocal leading the building intensity.  The bass plumbing the depths of what my Maggies can produce. 

Again it the dynamic intensity with the PRAT that just captures your attention and doesn't let go.  With AOIP and my previous USB chains - I kind'a found this song a bit boring, maybe the whole album.  WOW!  Not last night...

Also a stand out - the interesting and unique vocal presentation on 'Honey, Honey' hypnotizing eerie electric guitar, then the subtle plucking of a harp - just so real - you can almost hear/see fingers moving the strings.  Back in comes those eerie vocals - then an interplay between the harp, vocals and melodica to finish the track.  Great stuff.

Did I say this was a simple production?  I used to think so - now a level of genius and complexity finally revealed - so much thought and creativity went into this production.  I just love re-experiencing this in the new light of this revealing source.

It would takes pages to describe Florence's 'Ceremonial' - so layered and complex.  But just suffice it to say that last night deeper recorded levels were revealed - new subtle instruments, and the dynamics - just breathtaking...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back