USB MIDI Keyboards?
Jan 26, 2010 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

skyline889

Headphoneus Supremus
I've wanted to learn how to play the keyboard for a long while, so I've been looking around on a decent beginner keyboard. Any recommendations for a decent beginner keyboard for around $100 or less? I was looking at the older M-Audio Keystation 49e but I really have no idea what I'm buying. Would the keyboard be the only thing I needed to buy to be good to go?

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 16
keystation isn't bad at all. any cheap USB m-audio or edirol should suit your needs just fine. both companies have pretty decent low-end controllers. as long as you don't need anything fancy.

or use a guitar hero controller like me!

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 16
I have an M-Audio (can't remember the model number I'm afraid) - not used it for ages, but it was pretty nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeardAnimal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
keystation isn't bad at all. any cheap USB m-audio or edirol should suit your needs just fine. both companies have pretty decent low-end controllers. as long as you don't need anything fancy.

or use a guitar hero controller like me!

Lol yeah I definitely don't need anything fancy. For beginners, the included software should be good enough right?

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 16
Just got the LPK25, and wanted to let anyone who sees this thread, that it's great!

I'm really digging it, although I think the velocity sensors are a little touchy. I'm definitely going to be picking up the LPD8 in the very near future.

Thanks, Alexander Heß.

Feb 17, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 16
Sorry for the late reply, skyline.

It was not limiting, for my purposes, especially since there's two octaves, and an extra key up top. The octave up/down key was very well built, on the renowned Akai pads, and worked flawlessly (no delay). Because there are two octaves + 1 key, there won't be a situation where you'll be unable to use the arpeggiator (which is cool, once you figure it out, btw) to get a chord you want.

I actually ended up exchanging it for the LPD8 pad controller {which is phenomenal, btw}. I'm definitely going to re-buy the LPK25 when I get the money, but I found that I'm not as proficient at the keyboard as I remember. If only they had a saxophone shaped MIDI controller!

Hope this helped. My advice: go to a Guitar Center shop, and ask to play around with the keys (for laughs, play around with the NanoKey, and you'll see why I was so happy to find out about the LPK25). They (LPK25 keys) are nice and very sensitive to velocity. I bought both controllers from Guitar Center, because their prices were the same as Amazon (of course, with tax, though) and their returns policy is great (I lost my receipt, and the first LPD8 had a faulty input jack).

Also, it goes without saying, I think, but buddhashenglong's comment applies to this controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back