USB headphone AMP with Android Phones, possible ???
Apr 10, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #61 of 81

Quote:
I've ordered a few of those microUSB to USB OTG cables thanks to Negakinu's advice. The ones I orderered specified they're for the SGS-i9000 (I have a T-Mo Vibrant, an SGS phone with the good Wolfson DAC)...

I'm eager to see how this will all play out. I am running CM9 nightly with Glitch Kernel (supports VooDoo Sound) I usually use n7player, but have a license for Poweramp, should it be necessary for getting the OTG function working.

Also starred the issue in Android for google code. I remember when they still didn't support *.flac... Wake up and smell the music, Google. LOL.

I'll post my success (and hopefully lack of) or failures here.

CM9 won't work. ICS 4.0 doesn't have USB audio out. You need CM7. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #62 of 81

Quote:

Read this when testing your cable!!:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1092493

WRT the item I ordered, hope it works, because it is made for OTG by Samsung (i think?) with the Galaxy S i9000, the Vibrant should be identical hardware wise wrt the port pinout (one would hope). Also, it is pure microUSB to OTG USB Female port, and short in length. Hopefully I can get another (short) USB A to USB miniB male cable for running around. But that's jumping the gun. As far as it working, one of the purchasers on Amazon states that rooted users can use OTG for mounting USB Flash Memory Sticks... so I'm hoping USB Digital Audio will also be a YES.

Here's a link to the item: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FUNYSA/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #64 of 81
Yeah they are still busy adding all the features that CM7 had to CM9, so at the moment CM7 > CM9 in most cases

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #65 of 81

Quote:
CM9 won't work. ICS 4.0 doesn't have USB audio out. You need CM7. 

I have CM7 on my Atrix 4G. Where/how do I enable USB host? 
popcorn.gif

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #66 of 81
To all those who want to use an external dac with android: Are you doing it just for proving a point ? Or you genuinely want to use your phone with a dac/amp?
Its a bit of a hassle if you ask me. Better go for a dedicated device if you seriously want to use it for audio. You'll get a good DAC, with plenty of storage.

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #68 of 81
@proton007:

You know that your PMP is also going to suffer from the same issue of stuffing it all on the same device right? It makes more sense to have a DAC+AMP dedicated for just that purpose that can be used from a laptop to a phone and then even to whatever source that would output optical, than to be restricted to having to use PMP for everything...

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #69 of 81

Quote:
To all those who want to use an external dac with android: Are you doing it just for proving a point ? Or you genuinely want to use your phone with a dac/amp?
Its a bit of a hassle if you ask me. Better go for a dedicated device if you seriously want to use it for audio. You'll get a good DAC, with plenty of storage.

I like to sit in the garden with my headphones & tablet. I can enjoy more the 40k songs , see the artwork and browse around.

The DAC/AMP bypasses the poor soundchip and 3,5 jack in the tablet (anyway thats the idea). The combination Toshiba Thrive & Beyer T70 isn't bad but could do better with my Fiio E19. It does so with my laptop. There is no crackeling sound or background hisses when I use the DAC/AMP with USB hosting enabled.

If anyone has an idea to connect the HDMI out from the tablet with the E19 PLEASE tell me. Most people don't understand where we are going with this thread.

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #71 of 81

Quote:
@proton007:

You know that your PMP is also going to suffer from the same issue of stuffing it all on the same device right? It makes more sense to have a DAC+AMP dedicated for just that purpose that can be used from a laptop to a phone and then even to whatever source that would output optical, than to be restricted to having to use PMP for everything...

A pmp *is* a DAC with some minor amplification and UI, plus its portable, will deliver higher battery life, and already has high quality components.
If you want to use your laptop with a DAC/Amp, I understand. But from a pmp point of view it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

In fact, I would be happy if a pmp was able to work as a DAC when attached to my laptop via USB, solving the problem of getting a DAC altogether.

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #72 of 81

Quote:

A pmp *is* a DAC with some minor amplification and UI, plus its portable, will deliver higher battery life, and already has high quality components.
If you want to use your laptop with a DAC/Amp, I understand. But from a pmp point of view it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

In fact, I would be happy if a pmp was able to work as a DAC when attached to my laptop via USB, solving the problem of getting a DAC altogether.

http://cypherlabs.com/product/algorhythm-solo

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #74 of 81

Quote:

This seems to use the iPod as *source*.
I meant using my iPod as the DAC, with my laptop/pc as source.

You really don't want to use your iPod as a DAC ( if it were even possible the way you're talking about ). That's the exact reason people buy the CLAS and HP-P1. To bypass the internal DAC of the iPod itself. It's rather.. sub-par.

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #75 of 81

Quote:

You really don't want to use your iPod as a DAC ( if it were even possible the way you're talking about ). That's the exact reason people buy the CLAS and HP-P1. To bypass the internal DAC of the iPod itself. It's rather.. sub-par.

Maybe not the best, but sub-par definitely not, and surely not worth spending 800 bucks imo. I'd rather spend that on a good set of speakers/headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back