USB DAC
May 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Zashoomin

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I was planning on upgrading my system soon was was looking for recommendations on DACs for an LCD 2.  I was hoping to keep it under or around $500.  Also as the title states it must be usb.  
Thanks in advance for any advice anyone would have.  

May 9, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
Hello everyone,
I was planning on upgrading my system soon was was looking for recommendations on DACs for an LCD 2.  I was hoping to keep it under or around $500.  Also as the title states it must be usb.  
Thanks in advance for any advice anyone would have.  

I like the ODAC+O2 combo very much. It's ~US$300 with A/C adapter and shipping.

There are several threads here at Head-Fi discussing it if you're interested in more information.

May 10, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks but I already have a better setup than the O2 and ODAC.  I was eyeing the bifrost on the other hand and I hear great things about it.  The big question though is would it be a significant upgrade from what I have now.  I currently have a Gamma 2.

May 10, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Thanks but I already have a better setup than the O2 and ODAC.  I was eyeing the bifrost on the other hand and I hear great things about it.  The big question though is would it be a significant upgrade from what I have now.  I currently have a Gamma 2.

If you have better equipment already, why not consider a tube setup? They're known for adding warmth with their second-order harmonic distortion.

May 10, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 13
I currently have a hybrid amp (Millett Hybrid MiniMax)  but I was thinking about upgrading that as well.  There are just so many options and so many opinions.  Any suggestions?

May 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
I currently have a hybrid amp (Millett Hybrid MiniMax)  but I was thinking about upgrading that as well.  There are just so many options and so many opinions.  Any suggestions?

I had suggested the ODAC+O2 because they're both neutral and relatively inexpensive. Since you already own equipment you find better, nothing particular comes to mind.

If you're not looking for neutral or transparent audio equipment, what do you want in an upgrade? More power? Additional inputs? Other features? A different sound?

May 11, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 13
I need more power mostly also a slightly different sound.  The largest problem I have with the O2/ODAC is that it only has 3.5mm outputs instead of 1/4"

May 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
Instead of buying a new amp for a different sound, have you considered using a graphic (or parametric) equalizer?

I'm sorry I have no idea what the difference is.  I use the EQ on my foobar player or on my amp depending on which am I am using.

Also according to Audeze it is recommended that the amp have at least 1w of output at 50ohms, which the O2 does not have.  

May 17, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 13
I'm sorry I have no idea what the difference is.  I use the EQ on my foobar player or on my amp depending on which am I am using.

Also according to Audeze it is recommended that the amp have at least 1w of output at 50ohms, which the O2 does not have.  

How are you adjusting your eq please? It will give a better idea of what to recommend. If you want more detail and less bass or more bass and less detail etc.
Trev

May 17, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

In car audio receivers the difference is that a graphic EQ is pretty much the same as everything else (separate EQ for old-school home stereo set-ups, software EQ on music players) where you have as many bands of frequencies as possible, and parametric EQ is one where you're given a few bands (usually three or five, but of course it depends on the processor) but you can choose parameters like center frequency and the width of effect (how wide or narrow from the center freq is affected by boosting or cutting and by how much). Used to be Pioneer still stuck with a graphic EQ, especially for their audiophile (ie, with pro-audio-level processors), or both, but now I think they just have parametric on the 80PRS. So far I think the only parametric EQ on software I've seen are the likes of NeutronMediaPlayer for Android (I don't really use the EQ so I might have missed what's on the other players), but I think I've come across some with a mostly graphic interface but you can still tweak how wide the effects are.

May 17, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
How are you adjusting your eq please? It will give a better idea of what to recommend. If you want more detail and less bass or more bass and less detail etc.
Trev

I usually don't use EQ much but I am looking for more detail. Always more detail.  If I can get that through EQ I would be very interested to know. 

May 17, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Quote:
Trev

I usually don't use EQ much but I am looking for more detail. Always more detail.  If I can get that through EQ I would be very interested to know. 

Equalizers can increase or decrease the volume of the signal. Properly designed, they don't alter "detail." Improperly designed, they can add audible distortion. Some listeners might perceive this as increased detail.; it isn't, but if it sounds like more detail, or just better, to that listener, who cares?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back