usb dac
Jan 7, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #406 of 519
Anymore boards available?

There are a few parts that are kind of difficult to source for UK. Was wondering if it was possible to order some parts from guzzler?

This includes:

MAX1722

the USB type B connector (although I can get USB-B PCB connectors from a different brand, I'm not sure if all of them are universal in terms of connection pins - any advice?)

The blackgates for CL/CR - Does 47uF electrolytics have to be used? Or can you use polypropylenes in here?

Jan 7, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #407 of 519
For the MAX1722, your best bet (and I know this is going to open up a can of worms) is to see if you can source a part directly from Maxim themselves. I've been having issues finding a vendor here that has the parts and I'm now waiting on Maxim to approve my samples request so I can build a USB DAC. Maxim will ship it from their closest source (hopefully a company somewhere in the UK for yourself) as to minimize the shipping costs. I've heard the pro's and con's of using the samples for personal usage (so please don't derail this thread with it), and in this case I'm desperate for the parts that I'm willing to make an exception and take advantage of the samples program to finish this long-delayed project.

Other options include puting in an order with a vendor and waiting the lead time for the parts to become available. Or maybe someone here might have some spare ones they may be willing to part with. Good luck with it!

Jan 8, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #408 of 519
I looked at the other-brand USB connector again and compared it to the BERG used on this board- looks like identical pin configuration and spacing.

I'll prolly use some polypropylenes to replace the blackgates.

Just need to get my hands on a PCB
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #409 of 519
Just finished the casing for my USB DAC (rev. A):

DSC_2012-Medium.JPG

DSC_2015-Medium.JPG

DSC_2023-Medium.JPG

DSC_2031-Medium.JPG

DSC_2035-Medium.JPG

DSC_2043-Medium.JPG

I had a Hammond case lying around from previous PPA projects, so I decided to use it for the DAC. I coupled the output Black Gate NX Hi-Qs with some Angela/SCR 0.33uF tin foil caps. This coupling quite significantly brought out the mids and highs, and I'm very pleased with the results.

I currently have two amps connected from the DAC, I put three pairs of RCA outputs (paralleled) just because there was just enough space for three. I had the two amps previously connected with an RCA splitter, it should be better that the splitter is now eliminated from the chain.

All internal wiring is 22AWG teflon sleeved silver. Battery holder is Bulgin 4xAA tray type, and they're connected in parallel (2 x 3V).

Anyway, the DAC sounds excellent, a substantial improvement over my bypass/blackgate modded OptoPlay.
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #411 of 519
You certainly have the touch for making beautiful casework, I wish some of that would wear off onto my work
redface.gif

I got 2 of the 5 dac's working (havnt gotten around to the others) but they are only sitting on my bench with rca's hanging off them for now

Jan 10, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #412 of 519
ok i just made one of these, and i'm powering it off the usb, however i'm getting a highish dc offset, 300mV by the time it comes out of my pimeta.

i havnpt put any of the rev A stuff in as i still need to buy it, but does this seem abnomral?

also when the guide goes

Quote:

Using an axial 10オH inductor, connect one pad from R7 to the postive input. Ground is straight from the USB supply

does this mean connect it inline from r7 to positive input?

Jan 11, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #413 of 519
Wow, I'm looking to house mine atm and that one is truely awesome! Job well done
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you cut that yourself?

Jan 11, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #414 of 519
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny12
ok i just made one of these, and i'm powering it off the usb, however i'm getting a highish dc offset, 300mV by the time it comes out of my pimeta.

i havnpt put any of the rev A stuff in as i still need to buy it, but does this seem abnomral?

also when the guide goes

does this mean connect it inline from r7 to positive input?

Yup.

doobooloo your work is beautiful as always.

I just finished putting together one of my DACs. Now I need to finalize a layout for my headphone amp and I'll have a much much better way to listen to music with my laptop!

Jan 11, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #415 of 519
My USB DAC is sounding richer and fuller as it's burning in! Anyway, I have a question - is it possible to bypass kmixer with this DAC? I'm not too hopeful since it's using the system default driver, but maybe there's a hack that I'm not aware of that will allow me to bypass kmixer and get some cleaner results.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 12, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #416 of 519
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
My USB DAC is sounding richer and fuller as it's burning in! Anyway, I have a question - is it possible to bypass kmixer with this DAC? I'm not too hopeful since it's using the system default driver, but maybe there's a hack that I'm not aware of that will allow me to bypass kmixer and get some cleaner results.

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried Kernel Streaming?

Also, has anyone compared this to any soundcards (AV-710, 0404, etc.)?

Jan 12, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #420 of 519
ok the high dc offset on my pimeta wasn't the ubs dacs fault, however it does still have a offset of ~3mV straight out of dac which i think is ok.

in foobar why does the dac make a strange sound b4 changing tracks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back