USB DAC to replace the sound card
Oct 6, 2014 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dhc0329

Headphoneus Supremus
I am sorry for my ignorance but it appears usb dac (like Xonar Essence One MUSES Edition) can be used to replace the soundcard.
Is there such a big difference in sound (bass, clarity, sound stage, etc) using the usb dac? Could someone recommend a good, high end usb dac
to try out? 

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 16
Are you currently using a sound card?
If so what make and model?

Audio-GD NFB-15 DAC/amp, $270+shipping
Comes with USB, optical & coaxial inputs
Dual DAC chips
Headphone amplifier with plenty of power.

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 16
I have a broken zonar essence stx sent to asus for repair and just bought sb zxr but couldn't bear with the muddy bass response so ordered some op-amps for replacement. Not really sure what these Op amps can do. The set up is basically for speakers. I do have jhaudio iem but only for portal use.

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 16
  Are you currently using a sound card?
If so what make and model?

Audio-GD NFB-15 DAC/amp, $270+shipping
Comes with USB, optical & coaxial inputs
Dual DAC chips
Headphone amplifier with plenty of power.

I really enjoy Audio GD  Combo Units,

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 16
I am actually looking at Bifrost because people seem to complain about usb32 driver problem on Audio-GD dac.
If I can ask...if I am to still use my sound card connecting to Bifrost dac using the optical cable instead of using USB port,
would it degrade the sound? or it wouldn't matter regardless of sound used (even with onboard card)?
I appreciate your help in this matter.

Oct 8, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 16
I don't know if this would help you, but I'm using a FiiO E-17, and it's pretty good as an inexpensive USB DAC/Amp. I was surprised that it just installed without effort and trouble on my computer ( Win7 x64 ). I'm not using my audio card though ( X-Fi ), and I find the sound a lot cleaner ( on my Grado SR60e, Sony MDR-7510 and Earsonics SM3 v2 headphones ). And since this morning I'm using a Little Dot I+, and the sounds is really good :)

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #9 of 16
  I am actually looking at Bifrost because people seem to complain about usb32 driver problem on Audio-GD dac.
If I can ask...if I am to still use my sound card connecting to Bifrost dac using the optical cable instead of using USB port,
would it degrade the sound? or it wouldn't matter regardless of sound used (even with onboard card)?

Actually, connecting over optical instead of USB has the potential for lower jitter and therefore higher quality.

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #10 of 16
^^ Sorry. The statement is totally untrue. On a number of counts.

USB is technically superior. Not least because it allows for a modicum of control feedback from the receiver to the transmitter. S/PDIF sends the timing data combined with the data (samples). USB allows accurate local reclocking.

The only valid reason people still use S/PDIF is because the optical (TOSLINK)  version guarantees freedom from earth loops. Even this is now pretty much redundant anyway. It's easy to implement a galvanically isolated DAC. If your doesn't it's broken or a rubbish design not fit for purpose and should be returned for a refund.

Although S/PDIF (co-ax or TOSLINK) can give perfectly acceptable results it is no longer a technology worth investing in as it's use and the number of devices which make use of it will continue to decline.

Oh and 'jitter' isn't really a problem and probably never has been. It's a bogeyman designed to make the gullible squander money.

The pro and semi pro audio companies make the best DACs or as they call them audio interfaces. They have been doing it for longer, have a demanding user base and, crucially, have the best software support. After all. If you wanted to sell $500+ software with regular upgrades on the back of a $200 device why would you take a chance on the sound quality or reliability? They have software guys on site as a matter of course. So the drivers get upgraded much faster and more often. In order to cope with technical changes.

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #11 of 16

I've had issues with the USB connection on my NFB-15.32, so I just use the optical.

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #13 of 16
  OK, we'll go with that. Jitter doesn't matter so SPDIF and USB will sound exactly the same, 'cause bits is bits, right?

I like the idea of being able to use my sound card (Xonar DS) features (like headphone surround sound for movies and gaming), which means using an optical connection to the sound card.
But I believe Audio-GD recommends using it's unit's USB connection for music audio.
So my connection choice is based on a practical choice, not the amount of Jitter.

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #14 of 16

I like the idea of being able to use my sound card (Xonar DS) features (like headphone surround sound for movies and gaming), which means using an optical connection to the sound card.
But I believe Audio-GD recommends using it's unit's USB connection for music audio.
So my connection choice is based on a practical choice, not the amount of Jitter.

Well, while I disagree that USB would have less jitter than SPDIF, I'm actually with RonaldDumsfeld on jitter really not being a big deal. I use USB with my DAC. What I was trying to get at with my reply to you that was that, if anything, your plan would sound better than USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back