USB DAC recommendation????
Jun 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rahzim

New Head-Fier
Hello,
      So I just bought the minibox-ES for my ipad/laptop and it definitely improved the sound/quality of mp3's using my Etymotic ER4S IEM's.  Since I went with a standalone amp instead of the amp/dac combo, I'm now looking for a standalone dac to pair it with.  Do you think it's worth it, or should I just stick with the standalone minibox amp?  I also have sennheiser hd650's on the way.  I just want to be sure I'm getting the most out of my mp3's.  Any recommendations would be welcome. 

P.S.  I realize the quality of the music is also dependent on the quality of the mp3's, but with the laptop I didn't notice much improvement testing out the sample 24bit/96htz recordings on hdtracks compared to the 130bitrate mp3's I have.  I can only assume its because I'm still using the laptop soundcard and not a decent dac.

- Tim

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
So I just bought the minibox-ES for my ipad/laptop and it definitely improved the sound/quality of mp3's using my Etymotic ER4S IEM's.  Since I went with a standalone amp instead of the amp/dac combo, I'm now looking for a standalone DAC to pair it with.  Do you think it's worth it, or should I just stick with the standalone minibox amp?  I also have Sennheiser hd650's on the way.  I just want to be sure I'm getting the most out of my mp3's.  Any recommendations would be welcome. 
P.S.  I realize the quality of the music is also dependent on the quality of the mp3's, but with the laptop I didn't notice much improvement testing out the sample 24bit/96htz recordings on hdtracks compared to the 130bitrate mp3's I have.  I can only assume its because I'm still using the laptop soundcard and not a decent dac.

DAC destroyer (USB DAC) sell and ships for $50 on eBay.(Canada)
SMSL AD-793 (USB, coaxial & optical USB DAC), $65 on eBay, ships from China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back