USB DAC recommendation
Aug 16, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #16 of 57

Quote:
I was checking out DACMagic until I heard about the jitter performance.

BTW I don't need the most revealing DAC but musical and balanced thru all frequency range.

I'd say the DACport is a combination of revealing and musical. I find low volume listening very engaging and satisfying.

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #18 of 57
I also need a DAC. i recently dropped about 350 total (probably 400 including the panels) on parts and tools to build the AMB Y1 and Y2. I bought all the parts and everything and was in the process of testing and repair when a chip blew out. I sent it to the dedicated repair person (MisterX) to help out but he informed me I used acid flux and that the whole thing was basically ruined, so I need a new plan of attack.

I am using laptop headphone output right now, I'd like to be going laptop ->USB -> line out to my audioengine A5's. My price point is 150 dollars or lower. I dont need any spdif or other fancy inputs, just a single usb input and a single line output. It needs to last me for 2-3 years (at that point i will build a computer with a respectable sound card). I am looking for great extension and balanced output because my laptop has horrible roll off starting at 80hz and anything below 30 gets high pitched chirping artifacts in it instead of bass. Asynchronous would be nice but im not expecting miracles for 150. DIY is an acceptable solution as long as parts alone dont cost me more than 50 bucks. I have to buy a new soldering iron because im not sitting there on another diy project with a crappy sp40 pencil iron.

EDIT: how is the FIIO E9i? I've seen plenty of people rave about fiio products on here and like I said, if it can give me a better freq. response than my computer's integrated SIGMATEL C-Major Audio chip (oh yes, its THAT bad) AND give me an ipod dock to boot, then thats cooler than the hair on a witches tit.

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #19 of 57
Do you want the easiest possible solution ever? Get the Ray Samuels Emmeline Predator. You've got a USB DAC that's better than the iPad with a clean and lively headphone amp, AND it's portable for when you don't want to lug around your AC adapter.

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #20 of 57
Do you want the easiest possible solution ever? Get the Ray Samuels Emmeline Predator. You've got a USB DAC that's better than the iPad with a clean and lively headphone amp, AND it's portable for when you don't want to lug around your AC adapter.

at least read the previous posts before commenting. That is out of both of our budgets.

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #21 of 57
I also need a DAC. i recently dropped about 350 total (probably 400 including the panels) on parts and tools to build the AMB Y1 and Y2. I bought all the parts and everything and was in the process of testing and repair when a chip blew out. I sent it to the dedicated repair person (MisterX) to help out but he informed me I used acid flux and that the whole thing was basically ruined, so I need a new plan of attack.

I am using laptop headphone output right now, I'd like to be going laptop ->USB -> line out to my audioengine A5's. My price point is 150 dollars or lower. I dont need any spdif or other fancy inputs, just a single usb input and a single line output. It needs to last me for 2-3 years (at that point i will build a computer with a respectable sound card). I am looking for great extension and balanced output because my laptop has horrible roll off starting at 80hz and anything below 30 gets high pitched chirping artifacts in it instead of bass. Asynchronous would be nice but im not expecting miracles for 150. DIY is an acceptable solution as long as parts alone dont cost me more than 50 bucks. I have to buy a new soldering iron because im not sitting there on another diy project with a crappy sp40 pencil iron.

EDIT: how is the FIIO E9i? I've seen plenty of people rave about fiio products on here and like I said, if it can give me a better freq. response than my computer's integrated SIGMATEL C-Major Audio chip (oh yes, its THAT bad) AND give me an ipod dock to boot, then thats cooler than the hair on a witches tit.

The E9 is a very good amp for it's pricerange and competes with more expensive amps. The amp is very neutral and powerful. Highly recommended in my opinion. The E7 DAC was bottlenecking this amp, my DACport is a much better partner.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #24 of 57
No, I'm looking for a DAC to pair with my crappy laptop's chipset. I thought the E9 was a combo amp/dac. The only thing i'm driving is a pair of Audioengine A5's, which have an amp built in and no unamped input, and some basic IEM's (monster turbine, meelec m11+).

I'm looking for a DAC because my attempt at building a Y1 and Y2 failed miserably and buying a combo amp/dac such as the E9i would mean i dont need to buy/build a headphone amp for any future full size cans i buy, nor would i need to buy an ipod dock

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #26 of 57
i thoguht the e7 was a portable amp/dac and the e9 was a desktop dac/amp. the e9 has usb input and a dock for the e7 while the e9i has usb input and a dock for an ipod.....

what am i missing? how is something with usb input not a dac?

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #27 of 57

Quote:
i thoguht the e7 was a portable amp/dac and the e9 was a desktop dac/amp. the e9 has usb input and a dock for the e7 while the e9i has usb input and a dock for an ipod.....

what am i missing? how is something with usb input not a dac?

E9 is amp only.  It only uses USB if the E7 is docked, otherwise you use the rear connectors for input.

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #30 of 57
wait but no one answered the question, isnt the E9i a dac and amp combo? or is it just an amp? If its just an amp, how does it accept USB input?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back