USB DAC for Grado RS-1i and MAD Ear+ HD for ~$1000
Oct 2, 2011 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

burningv

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I only have my Grado RS-1i and I'm still waiting in queue for the MAD Ear+ HD to be built by Dr. Lloyd. I listen to mostly metal and some rock as well as punk. I'm looking for a dedicated USB Dac that would be a considerable upgrade from my PCMCIA Echo Indigo DJ card. I did some research and it seems that the PS Audio Digital Link III is the best choice for this price range. Should I go for this DAC or are there any other ones that perform better? Thanks in advance. 

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 8
Burson DA-160 DAC? 
http://www.moon-audio.com/home-audio/burson-audio/burson-da-160-dac.html

Also Audio_GD makes a few higher end DACs in and around that price point. 

Personally, at the 400-500 range, I see the Cambridge DacMagic, and Schiit BiFrost as interesting ones to look at... 

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 8
The Mapletree loves the A-GD gear......
beerchug.gif

With that budget you can get a kickaasss setup.

Oct 5, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 8
What do you have stacked up over there, HeatFan? 

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 8
I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay a bit more cash for the Burson DA-160 DAC. The PS Digital Link III has 16 bit/48khz sample rate on a USB connection, but as far as I'm concerned that's enough. I've read the 24 bit vs 16 bit the myth exploded topic and it seems to me that most DACs that have a sampling rate as high as 24bit/96khz is marketing hype for playback. Most of the music I have on my computer are ripped CDs and a couple of DVDs anyway. Still, I'd consider buying the Burson if it's sonically better than the PS Audio DL III. Is it?  Regarding Audio-GD, I hate the design of the site and prefer to get something locally in case anything breaks down. I live in Poland, so it's convenient for me to order either the PS Audio DL III or the Burson DAC.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back