USB DAC/amp question - Grado SR60i - worth doing for $100? And Nexus 7 issues with Amazon Ultra HD
Apr 1, 2020 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sennheiserhd485

100+ Head-Fier
If using the Grado SR60i/ATH AD-700 (low impedance), is it worth it to spend about $100 (something like AQ Dragonfly Black) on a USB DAC/amp? When I say worth it, I mean a noticeable SQ improvement over lower end computer headphone jacks. I would be doing it for Amazon Ultra HD streaming.

Also, does anyone know why Nexus 7 (2013) tablet won't play Ultra HD? The app says it's capable of Ultra HD, but it won't play in anything but standard SD. I have fixed all of the relevant settings as well, so it isn't that.

Apr 2, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 9
Also, does anyone know why Nexus 7 (2013) tablet won't play Ultra HD? The app says it's capable of Ultra HD, but it won't play in anything but standard SD. I have fixed all of the relevant settings as well, so it isn't that.

If you are connecting the tablet to a TV or other external monitor with an HDMI cable that isn't HDCP compatible, many services, such as Amazon Prime, will not deliver HD content.

Apr 2, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 9
If you are connecting the tablet to a TV or other external monitor with an HDMI cable that isn't HDCP compatible, many services, such as Amazon Prime, will not deliver HD content.
This was using the tablet by itself. One thing of note is it lists the codec as Opus instead of FLAC, like our three computers.

Apr 3, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 9
When you try to play HD, does an error message come up? What happens?
No error message comes up, but it plays in SD, although the song is Ultra HD and the device has capability.

Apr 3, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 9
Stupid question, you have a membership to hd? It’s separate from regular amazon music. Sometimes my laptop will do that when the WiFi signal is weak, or too many people are on the WiFi at the same time, or the internet signal is weak.

Apr 12, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 9
Stupid question, you have a membership to hd? It’s separate from regular amazon music. Sometimes my laptop will do that when the WiFi signal is weak, or too many people are on the WiFi at the same time, or the internet signal is weak.
I do, yes. I use the same account for all devices, and it plays in Ultra HD on our Chromebook.

Apr 12, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #8 of 9
Maybe try uninstalling the app and re installing? On my Samsung tab A I had to enable developer options so I could adjust the output so it would play in ultra hd. It would play had with direct output, but in Bluetooth it wouldn’t until I did that.

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 9
Maybe try uninstalling the app and re installing? On my Samsung tab A I had to enable developer options so I could adjust the output so it would play in ultra hd. It would play had with direct output, but in Bluetooth it wouldn’t until I did that.
That sounds too complicated for me! LOL
I believe I did try re-installing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back