USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jul 27, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #4,037 of 6,519
Any new Dac dongle coming soon? Kinda stagnated?

Top dogs still Ru6, M15, W2 and S2? Any new contender?
Not sure A&K HC2 counts as top contender.Anyone has it yet?

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #4,038 of 6,519
_DSC1664-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIME-Edit (75).jpg

My review of the Moondrop Dawn is up on my blog and here on Head-Fi.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #4,039 of 6,519
Jul 30, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #4,041 of 6,519
Is the 3.5mm gimped compared to 4.4mm like many manufacturer like to do?
It is not just a different connector - the balanced circuitry (2.5 and 4.4) can use two chips and two amps (and most designs do) for either twice more power or less noise.
Can non-balanced sound close - it can in a good implementation, but again balanced give more room, and that is the main reason to use it.

Jul 30, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #4,042 of 6,519

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #4,043 of 6,519
Hi all. I am looking for a good quality DAC dongle that is iphone oriented. Which means it connects well with the iphone and hopefully snuggles right up to the iphone via the lightning connector. I saw a few devices mentioned but the follow up reviews were all over the place.

So I am wondering what people here would suggest I consider?

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #4,044 of 6,519
Hi all. I am looking for a good quality DAC dongle that is iphone oriented. Which means it connects well with the iphone and hopefully snuggles right up to the iphone via the lightning connector. I saw a few devices mentioned but the follow up reviews were all over the place.

You need to limit your budget first.

Aug 2, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #4,045 of 6,519

Any dongle DAC with removable cable will do the job. Some come with a lightning cable and if not, you can buy any OTG cable ( like the ddhifi mfi06s for example).

If you find a dongle DAC that has a fixed usb-c cable, you can connect it with the ddhifi tc28i adapter.

So there is no limitation with iPhones

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #4,046 of 6,519
Any dongle DAC with removable cable will do the job. Some come with a lightning cable and if not, you can buy any OTG cable ( like the ddhifi mfi06s for example).

If you find a dongle DAC that has a fixed usb-c cable, you can connect it with the ddhifi tc28i adapter.

So there is no limitation with iPhones
Every so often there are dongle DAC units (and for that matter DAP units) that do not natively support IOS. So then you need the Apple CCK which is a royal pain. In fact I bet about 1/3 of the units on the market do not natively support IOS.

As far as budget, under $300 of course. But cheaper is better. A unit with lightning built in would be best.

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #4,047 of 6,519
Every so often there are dongle DAC units (and for that matter DAP units) that do not natively support IOS. So then you need the Apple CCK which is a royal pain. In fact I bet about 1/3 of the units on the market do not natively support IOS.

As far as budget, under $300 of course. But cheaper is better. A unit with lightning built in would be best.
Most of the top sellers will work, but I haven't checked them all, maybe you are right with 1/3. I don't know.

Here are some, that will work with iPhones. These will work with any OTG cable. Some of them with fixed cable, will need something like the ddHifi tc28i.
I've different OTG cables, but if you want to use the Dongle with other devices, the tc28i is pretty handy.

- Any ddHifi dongle ( favorite, specially if you want one with build in lighting )
- Any FiiO Dongle
- Questyle M15 / M12
- Lotto PAW S2
- xDuoo Link2 BAL ( favorite )
- TempoTec Sonata E44
- Moondrop Moon River 2
- Hidizs S9 PRO
- HiBy FC5
- Colorfly CDA M1
- Shanling UA5

- If you have a newer iPhone with MagSafe, the Khadas Tea is an interesting concept.

I hope this will help. I prefer the ddHifi ones, they are very well shielded and build.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #4,049 of 6,519
Aug 5, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #4,050 of 6,519
Had the ddHiFi TC44A (Lightning version) arrive today for use with my iPhone 12 Mini and Beyer Xelentos (using a PlusSound balanced cable).

This DAC is extremely small (single-ended, but ok to use with a balanced jack, no hiss). Phone sits flat. The Lightning fit is tight. Volume is loud at 60 mw. A great alternative to using my B&W Pi7's for listening (when not using my ZX-507).

Happy with the purchase.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back