USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Feb 26, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #3,648 of 6,519
No, can't really find the US apple dongle, importing it will become pretty expensive. Is 1vrms enough for my headphones tho?
The JM10 and the Meizu ones are not really cheap, especially the JM10 is about 40 to 50€. Also, any reccomended seller for the CX31993? Thanks.
I think 1vrms should be ok, M20X isn't too hard to drive.

Also considering the price bracket I don't think there's many powerful options.

On a unrelated note, I brought out my PEE51 again just for fun. It still sounded good! But does anyone feel like PEE51 sounds a bit rushed?

Like it doesn't hold the note long enough, it just cuts off early. Which in turn make it sound like the singer is rushing? Anyone notice that?

Feb 26, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #3,650 of 6,519
It seems it uses the cx31993 chip too, so it shares the same features at sligthly higher price than a cx-pro audio 31993 for example. I don't really see the point in getting it unless I'm missing something.
You are missing the fact that having same dac chip does not equate to same sound in two different dongles. Analog section implementation (yes, even in cheap dongles) is of more importance. Build quality (materials, shielding, etc) makes a difference as well.

Haven't tried Bgvp dongle, but mine Conexant cx31993 broke within days of light use.

My default recs for entry level dongles are Apple USB-C (non-EU) and JCally JM20.

Feb 26, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #3,651 of 6,519
What does this accomplish?

Also does anyone know what would happen if I took say balanced iBasso DC04 and combined the negatives of the channels into one through a 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter?
If you care about the sound then removing ultrasonics that have no proven positive effect on sound and may just cause distortion or intermodulation, then you should get rid of those. And it also has a psychological effect: once you don't have a high sample rate file over 44.1khz you don't need to care anymore for bit perfect playback, it will just play with any player or software or OS.
But since you mentioned youtube this indeed might be not related to your problem (your local music library).
In short, stop caring so much for the DAC which has the least amount of effect on sound and instead invest in a good HP and EQ it, or if you don't want to EQ buy different HPs for different sound... This is where you will hear the biggest change in sound no matter what other things you've read, what night & day differences some DAC, cable or LPS might have, make yourself and your wallet a favour and ignore this, don't trust subjective reviews, don't trust anyone that describes sound with words that has literally nothing to do with sound, or how sound works. Examples: Sounds musical, analog, emotional, makes me feel X Y Z,

Feb 26, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #3,652 of 6,519
You are missing the fact that having same dac chip does not equate to same sound in two different dongles. Analog section implementation (yes, even in cheap dongles) is of more importance. Build quality (materials, shielding, etc) makes a difference as well.

Haven't tried Bgvp dongle, but mine Conexant cx31993 broke within days of light use.

My default recs for entry level dongles are Apple USB-C (non-EU) and JCally JM20.
I see. It broke, really? May I know how? About the 2 you suggested, I can't get the Apple dongle US while the JM20 is about 3 times the price of the conexant.
I would say for 10€ I could give the cx31993 a try and see how it performs/last. In case it breaks down the line I will come back and get something a little more pricey and maybe better built as you suggest.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #3,653 of 6,519
I see. It broke, really? May I know how?
There's nothing physically wrong with it. It started to produce loud hiss on playback out of nowhere.

To your point, the price is very competitive. It might be the best option based on your situation.

Also be careful about 2vrms claims etc. Most dongles only get to 2vrms when fed 300ohm+ impedance. At 32ohm, they usually output 1vrms or below. There are documented tricks in this thread with users being able to trick their dongles into higher output with low impedance gear (Tempotec ones come to mind).

Good luck with your new adventure!

Feb 26, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #3,654 of 6,519
Trasam Q1 is the cheapest dongle with detachable cable that I recall. That was my main concern about dongles durability. Unfortunately, while the sound is good, it does terrible and loud popping sounds when channel matching the source (when you play/pause or change app). If not that, it would be a top recommendation

Feb 26, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #3,655 of 6,519
_DSC9728-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIME-Edit (75).jpg

While the Ikko Zerda ITM01 would not be my first recommendation, I think Ikko would have a winner if it stripped away some of the excess functionality and sold a minimalist version of the ITM01 focused on music playback.
My full review is up on my blog: https://medium.com/bedrock-reviews/ikko-zerda-itm01-dac-amp-impressions-1ff24606bc07

Feb 26, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #3,656 of 6,519
So I came up with a new strategy. I had de-emphasized playing hi res from the iphone as I did not love the chip in the Zorloo Ztella. I felt it was treble heavy and bright.

So I changed my filters on my LZ A7 from black monitor to gold pop. This brought down the treble a tad and upped the bass. And sure enough I am enjoying this combination.

Guess it will hold me over when I eventually get my HiBy R5 fixed.

Looking forward to AK getting back in business.

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #3,657 of 6,519
If you care about the sound then removing ultrasonics that have no proven positive effect on sound and may just cause distortion or intermodulation, then you should get rid of those. And it also has a psychological effect: once you don't have a high sample rate file over 44.1khz you don't need to care anymore for bit perfect playback, it will just play with any player or software or OS.
But since you mentioned youtube this indeed might be not related to your problem (your local music library).
In short, stop caring so much for the DAC which has the least amount of effect on sound and instead invest in a good HP and EQ it, or if you don't want to EQ buy different HPs for different sound...
I don't care too much about the dac. And I play all kinds of files so I don't think it's the files either. It must be the OS that's messing with the sound.

Feb 28, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #3,658 of 6,519
I don't care too much about the dac. And I play all kinds of files so I don't think it's the files either. It must be the OS that's messing with the sound.
I just messaged somebody about how my 1990s CD player playing a CD from the 1990s sounds perfect and authentic to the original recording.

But when I played a ripped file of it on my Shanling Q1, M0, etc. It sounded like garbage.

I'm confused why that is...

Feb 28, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #3,659 of 6,519
I just messaged somebody about how my 1990s CD player playing a CD from the 1990s sounds perfect and authentic to the original recording.

But when I played a ripped file of it on my Shanling Q1, M0, etc. It sounded like garbage.

I'm confused why that is...

Assuming no EQ done and the rips are done correctly, perhaps the DAC/amp implementation on the Shanlings are a bit different. Some older recordings can sound overly sterile or harsh on newer sources which are more transparent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back