USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Feb 24, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #3,631 of 6,519
Guys....... I need a dongle dac shopaholic rehab group, I have issues...... LOL.

I've bought PEE51, RU6, and W2-131 in the past month and I'm already looking at xDuoo Link2 Bal and FiiO KA3 (after I find out it has a upper mid bump).

Like the thought is that "dongle dacs aren't that expensive" but they surely is adding up. I might have to sell 1 or 2 before I buy more (not that I can't afford it but more like justification).

They each have their own different pros and cons so far and I'm specifically looking for a software volume unit (RU6 and W2-131 are hardware volume) with forward vocal and boosted bass. So far RU6 tick most of the boxes (forward vocal, also that R2R texture) except hardware volume part (which I understand Cayin's explanation it's a hardware limitation). Bass wise W2-131 reaches deeper than RU6.

To my understanding that xDuoo Link2 Bal is neutral right, should I skip it? And what I read is that KA3 has forward vocal, is that correct?

Otherwise I should really use the W2-131 a bit longer before eyeing new dongles LOL (only just got it haha).

Like I said I have issues........

EDIT: Okay I tried the HID mode again on W2-131, maybe it is working as intended...... so this could work as software button....... need more testing, but off the bat vocal is more forward with this mode?????

EDIT2: FiiO KA3 apparently has impedance control and gain control through the app. But if I use it on PC does that mean I need to install another software to gain control to this?

EDIT3: Okay apparently for FiiO KA3 you can download the app on phone set it up then the setting is saved with the hardware so when you plug it into PC then it keeps the setting, but if you want to change it you have to go back to phone app which seems kind of tedious.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #3,632 of 6,519
Guys....... I need a dongle dac shopaholic rehab group, I have issues...... LOL.

I've bought PEE51, RU6, and W2-131 in the past month and I'm already looking at xDuoo Link2 Bal and FiiO KA3 (after I find out it has a upper mid bump).

Like the thought is that "dongle dacs aren't that expensive" but they surely is adding up. I might have to sell 1 or 2 before I buy more (not that I can't afford it but more like justification).

They each have their own different pros and cons so far and I'm specifically looking for a software volume unit (RU6 and W2-131 are hardware volume) with forward vocal and boosted bass. So far RU6 tick most of the boxes (forward vocal, also that R2R texture) except hardware volume part (which I understand Cayin's explanation it's a hardware limitation). Bass wise W2-131 reaches deeper than RU6.

To my understanding that xDuoo Link2 Bal is neutral right, should I skip it? And what I read is that KA3 has forward vocal, is that correct?

Otherwise I should really use the W2-131 a bit longer before eyeing new dongles LOL (only just got it haha).

EDIT: Okay I tried the HID mode again on W2-131, maybe it is working as intended...... so this could work as software button....... need more testing, but off the bat vocal is more forward with this mode?????

EDIT2: FiiO KA3 apparently has impedance control and gain control through the app. But if I use it on PC does that mean I need to install another software to gain control to this?

EDIT3: Okay apparently for FiiO KA3 you can download the app on phone set it up then the setting is saved with the hardware so when you plug it into PC then it keeps the setting, but if you want to change it you have to go back to phone app which seems kind of tedious.
The Fiio KA3 doesn't have any upper mid bump, like every good transparent source it has flat frequency response. So vocals aren't any more forward than the recording is.
5028147.jpg

Today Crinacle released this video that might help with your rehab lol

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #3,634 of 6,519
Has anyone tried this yet?
Capture+_2022-02-24-14-23-37.png

Feb 24, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #3,636 of 6,519
There's no such thing as research before buying an audio cable unless you're talking about which sellers have the best quality cables... just check the orders (amount).
I meant the data cable as that was what the guy I was responding to asking about. And yes I was talking about the sellers and their products, so looking at the reviews, making sure the cable will perform the functions you buy it for (not all USB C cables can turno charge for example, some can't turbo, but can fast charge and so on, there are many different types of USB C cables), also the quality varies a lot and sometimes even a much bought item is of sub standard quality. But overall even with the misses it's cheaper on Ali if you have time.

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #3,637 of 6,519

Oh my friend, I understand your search and can help you out, just follow my advise and you will find exactly what you search for.
1. Sell all the equipment you’ve bought
2. Stop visiting those parts of headfi where people subjectively describe changes or improvements in sound (most of headfi)
3. Get a simple apple dongle and an EQ app OR get that Qudelix BT DacAmp where you can upload eqfiles to it (5k?)
4. Start reinvesting your money you just got back into IEM’s or headphones, or just buy one two for different use cases that you like, are comfortable and of course respond well to EQ, for example one open and one closed over-ear , one earphone one IEM
5. Get all of your high res music library and convert it to AAC very high bitrate and never again worry about bit perfect playback.
Or alternatively the hard and time consuming way:
Run every music file you have through Adobe Audition and check the freq range during playback. If you see static noise during silent parts ditch it or replace it with another version, if you see static noise in the inaudible range then cut it off and make it a 16/44.1.

Now go to Sound Science forum and start reading, go to archimego blog and start reading (especially both posts on RU2 Cayin), watch the AES myths videos on YouTube, the audiophile myths debunked stuff, learn how digital audio actually works and how our hearing actually works Here or watch their video ) thank me later

Feb 25, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #3,638 of 6,519
Hi, I'm looking for a good, but cheap dongle/DAC to power my headphones. They are a pair of ATH M20X so nothing special. The dongle will be used with a Windows PC.
I noticed a lot of people reccomend the apple dongle, but I also heard the the EU version (the one I would get) is underpowered compared to the US one and either way I don't know if it will be able to power my headphones. Do you have any other reccomendations? I have no issues in buying from Aliexpress for example, in case there are better products out there. Or should I get the apple dongle (EU)? Thanks.

Feb 25, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #3,639 of 6,519
Oh my friend, I understand your search and can help you out, just follow my advise and you will find exactly what you search for.
1. Sell all the equipment you’ve bought
2. Stop visiting those parts of headfi where people subjectively describe changes or improvements in sound (most of headfi)
3. Get a simple apple dongle and an EQ app OR get that Qudelix BT DacAmp where you can upload eqfiles to it (5k?)
4. Start reinvesting your money you just got back into IEM’s or headphones, or just buy one two for different use cases that you like, are comfortable and of course respond well to EQ, for example one open and one closed over-ear , one earphone one IEM
5. Get all of your high res music library and convert it to AAC very high bitrate and never again worry about bit perfect playback.
Or alternatively the hard and time consuming way:
Run every music file you have through Adobe Audition and check the freq range during playback. If you see static noise during silent parts ditch it or replace it with another version, if you see static noise in the inaudible range then cut it off and make it a 16/44.1.

Now go to Sound Science forum and start reading, go to archimego blog and start reading (especially both posts on RU2 Cayin), watch the AES myths videos on YouTube, the audiophile myths debunked stuff, learn how digital audio actually works and how our hearing actually works Here or watch their video ) thank me later
LOL yeahhhhhhh maybe EQ is the way to go since I'm so picky about tuning....

Time to read into this......
Hi, I'm looking for a good, but cheap dongle/DAC to power my headphones. They are a pair of ATH M20X so nothing special. The dongle will be used with a Windows PC.
I noticed a lot of people reccomend the apple dongle, but I also heard the the EU version (the one I would get) is underpowered compared to the US one and either way I don't know if it will be able to power my headphones. Do you have any other reccomendations? I have no issues in buying from Aliexpress for example, in case there are better products out there. Or should I get the apple dongle (EU)? Thanks.
EU spec is 0.5 vrms.
US spec is 1 vrms.

Most dongle out there tend to be 2 vrms (this is more or less the "bar" these days). So the EU spec is quite low powered compare to most dongle dac out there.

You *might* be able to get away with 0.5 vrms since ATH-M20X is easy to drive. But I think the other choices are quite cheap too anyway. Trace back to earlier conversion sounds like JCally JM10, CX-Pro Audio 31993, and Meizu HiFi Pro are some of the "cheap and good" ones. You should be able to find them on Aliexpress easily.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #3,640 of 6,519
Time to read into this......

EU spec is 0.5 vrms.
US spec is 1 vrms.

Most dongle out there tend to be 2 vrms (this is more or less the "bar" these days). So the EU spec is quite low powered compare to most dongle dac out there.

You *might* be able to get away with 0.5 vrms since ATH-M20X is easy to drive. But I think the other choices are quite cheap too anyway. Trace back to earlier conversion sounds like JCally JM10, CX-Pro Audio 31993, and Meizu HiFi Pro are some of the "cheap and good" ones. You should be able to find them on Aliexpress easily.

Good luck!
Thanks. From the options you mentioned it seems that the CX-Pro Audio 31993 is the most similar in terms of price to the apple dongle (10/15€). However I wasn't able to gather much information about it, is it 1 or 2vrms? Do you think it will be able to drive the M20X well? Should I pick this option instead of the apple dongle then? Also, since there are a lot of seller on Aliexpress, is there any "reccomended" seller that is known to send a good product? Thank you and sorry for all these questions.

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #3,641 of 6,519
What does this accomplish?

Also does anyone know what would happen if I took say balanced iBasso DC04 and combined the negatives of the channels into one through a 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter?

Feb 25, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #3,642 of 6,519
DC04 or 03 is great quality soundwise and very cheap.

Feb 25, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #3,644 of 6,519
Thanks. From the options you mentioned it seems that the CX-Pro Audio 31993 is the most similar in terms of price to the apple dongle (10/15€). However I wasn't able to gather much information about it, is it 1 or 2vrms? Do you think it will be able to drive the M20X well? Should I pick this option instead of the apple dongle then? Also, since there are a lot of seller on Aliexpress, is there any "reccomended" seller that is known to send a good product? Thank you and sorry for all these questions.
https://andyaudiovault.com/donglemadness/cx-pro-audio-cx31993/

Looks to be 1 vrms. In this case it will have the same driving power as the US spec apple dongle. So if you're able to find both at similar prices then either might be ok?

And I think JM10 and Meizu ones are between 1 ~ 2 vrms (adaptive depending on headphone).

Feb 25, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #3,645 of 6,519
https://andyaudiovault.com/donglemadness/cx-pro-audio-cx31993/

Looks to be 1 vrms. In this case it will have the same driving power as the US spec apple dongle. So if you're able to find both at similar prices then either might be ok?

And I think JM10 and Meizu ones are between 1 ~ 2 vrms (adaptive depending on headphone).
No, can't really find the US apple dongle, importing it will become pretty expensive. Is 1vrms enough for my headphones tho?
The JM10 and the Meizu ones are not really cheap, especially the JM10 is about 40 to 50€. Also, any reccomended seller for the CX31993? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back