USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Feb 22, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #3,616 of 6,520
Yeah I'm ok with relatively low bitrate. 320 mp3 is good enough for me what brothers me is what android sound processing does to the sound. 320 mp3 sounds way better played bit perfect through HiBy than the same file played on HiBy through android mixer.

I want to watch YouTube videos, listen to music on YouTube and Spotify, maybe even watch a movie on my phone with the same quality I get out of HiBy. Or at least less bad than Android. So maybe iPhone. Still no iPhone users that could compare. Although I suppose most Android users can't even hear the difference that I'm talking about (cause noone seems to mind), so I might have to A/B it myself... Gotta get some adapters I suppose.
I have an iPhone and a Cayin RU6 but don't use those together...
I would consider buying something like the Fiio UTWS5 and call it a day :)

Feb 22, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #3,617 of 6,520
Can anyone recommend me or if there's even a solid charger + headphone jack for usb C (android)? I usually sleep with IEM's on but also charge my phone at night. Now that i'm leaving my LG V60 behind for a new Samsung, i'm going to be in a need of one that can do both at the same time. Thank you

Feb 22, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #3,620 of 6,520
Where do you guys get replacement USB C to USB C very short cables?
I've been using a Hiby FC5 for the month and the cable has been cutting out. Hiby said they don't sell the replacement cable.

DDHifi sells a few.

Feb 22, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #3,621 of 6,520
Can anyone recommend me or if there's even a solid charger + headphone jack for usb C (android)? I usually sleep with IEM's on but also charge my phone at night. Now that i'm leaving my LG V60 behind for a new Samsung, i'm going to be in a need of one that can do both at the same time. Thank you
Have you considered wireless charging? Of it's slow and doesn't heat up the phone it's actually a pretty great idea.

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #3,622 of 6,520
I have an iPhone and a Cayin RU6 but don't use those together...
I would consider buying something like the Fiio UTWS5 and call it a day :)
Dam, that's a really interesting product.

Does it really send bit perfect data when you play through Bluetooth? It would make sense right? But then why doesn't Android send bit perfect when an OTG soundcard is connected?

And it's not even expensive! (Oh sorry it is a bit expensive, mixed it up with UTWS3) I'll have to look into it's reviews. Wonder how it sounds as compared to DC04...

Are there other products like that?

EDIT: the more I read the more I like it. I think I might just bite the bullet without knowing how it sounds. I'll still have my DC04 for hi res files and really nice DAC amp. Although 24 96 is honestly the highest definition that I will ever need with my current IEMs. I mean I do have some DSD just for fun but even 24 96 is most likely an overkill.

This just sounds way more convenient for everyday use. If it's also bit perfect it solves my original problem too. If I really like it I might have to sell all my fancy cables haha.

Interesting. I'm really curious how it compares soundwise.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #3,623 of 6,520
Well, I found my answers in another thread. Info by devodonaldson:

Even via Android, LDAC will not sound as good as the resampled usb audio via your phone. UAPP with no resampling sounds better than audio running through Android audio stack. That's just unfortunately how Linux/Android operate. Only choices are stream everything through UAPP, get an Android FAP that bypasses Android SRC, or just be OK with the best audio you get out of the DAC/AMP connected to your phone through the Android audio stack. I use BTR5 and ifi XDSD with an Android phone. USB trump's bluetooth on both devices. FYI, bluetooth audio is still sent through Android audio stack. Another reason bluetooth audio also sounds better using UAPP settings for bluetooth audio.

So yeah, it doesn't solve my bit perfect problem. Furthermore Bluetooth always resamples to a Bluetooth codec so it's never bit perfect, but I've identified the android audio stack as my problem. So I shall look into 'getting an Android FAP that bypasses Android SRC'...

I suppose the man meant DAP

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #3,627 of 6,520
As far as I know there are no real third-party spotify apps.
Considering that both Poweramp and Wavelet are universal EQs for Android (they run and consume battery as an active app though), I think UAPP demonstrates lacking enough will to be a whole system LDAC solution. Even if this requires external script by USB debugging. Anyway, I hope I'm wrong and they are trying to surpass being just a "player". Otherwise, its a gap that another developer(s) would profit a lot

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #3,629 of 6,520
Well, I found my answers in another thread. Info by devodonaldson:

Even via Android, LDAC will not sound as good as the resampled usb audio via your phone. UAPP with no resampling sounds better than audio running through Android audio stack. That's just unfortunately how Linux/Android operate. Only choices are stream everything through UAPP, get an Android FAP that bypasses Android SRC, or just be OK with the best audio you get out of the DAC/AMP connected to your phone through the Android audio stack. I use BTR5 and ifi XDSD with an Android phone. USB trump's bluetooth on both devices. FYI, bluetooth audio is still sent through Android audio stack. Another reason bluetooth audio also sounds better using UAPP settings for bluetooth audio.

So yeah, it doesn't solve my bit perfect problem. Furthermore Bluetooth always resamples to a Bluetooth codec so it's never bit perfect, but I've identified the android audio stack as my problem. So I shall look into 'getting an Android FAP that bypasses Android SRC'...

I suppose the man meant DAP
Well, the Fiio UTWS5 does not even support LDAC but aptX adaptive, will give you 53w into 16ohm, has an AK Dac chip, you can buy a 2pin version and then a 2pin to mmcx adapter to use all IEMs (or just the mmcx version if thats all u need)....

Of course, BT on paper performs less good compared to wired, you can check many of Amirs reviews and measurements on that over at audiosciencereviews, but I doubt you will hear the difference due to your use-case being on the go.

This setup is clearly made for on the go where outside noises are just a part of life, as long as you're not in a very quiet room you won't hear that already minuscule difference.

Let me tell you this: I own the UTWS3 and almost can't hear a difference. You know why? First reason being that modern codecs are almost completely transparent to me. But also: I mostly listen to music when working in the office or in the bus/train commuting to work or back home. Almost never am I at home all by myself in the quiet and actually critically listening to music to pay attention to fine details and small differences 100% fully committed to be concentrated just on that...
Wile working I actually need to think and solve problems, when I commute I also read stuff and hear the bus noises in the background. Again not fully concentrated to the music.
If I suddenly get distracted from work by the music due to some eargasm part of whatever, I just enjoy the moment and get back to work...

Now I dont believe that bitperfect playback is the holy grail... If you'd convert all of your flacs to max rate AAC I bet you wouldnt hear a difference, especially on the go...
And DACs do up/down-sample internally either way. My Aune T1 goes up to 24/96 so anything above will be downsampled, not even sure if by the DAC or by the software but it doesn't matter. Many times I test highres files through Adobe Audition to see the frequencies, and many times (but not always) you'll see that everything above the audible spectrum is just static noise, nothing that dynamically changes with the music as everything between 0hz-20khz.... so why would you need that for, just turn it into redbook and cut the crap above 20khz :)
With the RU2 Jriver will play 'bitperfect' by keeping the sampling rate but will turn 24bit to 32bit, is this considered not bitperfect? no information is removed by that... damn in one of the videos ill paste down a guy did a test playing the same sample and reducing bit by bit, from 16 all down to 4, I started hearing a difference at around 7-9 (noise)

I know I went off topic, and will share links that many may know and have already seen here on head-fi, and I certainly don't want to start a discussion on audio science & myths, but I recommend you checking out those:

(Check out the whole thing but especially the demos from 32m
https://www.xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
https://web.archive.org/web/20200426202431/https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Feb 24, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #3,630 of 6,520
Well, the Fiio UTWS5 does not even support LDAC but aptX adaptive, will give you 53w into 16ohm, has an AK Dac chip, you can buy a 2pin version and then a 2pin to mmcx adapter to use all IEMs (or just the mmcx version if thats all u need)....

Of course, BT on paper performs less good compared to wired, you can check many of Amirs reviews and measurements on that over at audiosciencereviews, but I doubt you will hear the difference due to your use-case being on the go.

This setup is clearly made for on the go where outside noises are just a part of life, as long as you're not in a very quiet room you won't hear that already minuscule difference.

Let me tell you this: I own the UTWS3 and almost can't hear a difference. You know why? First reason being that modern codecs are almost completely transparent to me. But also: I mostly listen to music when working in the office or in the bus/train commuting to work or back home. Almost never am I at home all by myself in the quiet and actually critically listening to music to pay attention to fine details and small differences 100% fully committed to be concentrated just on that...
Wile working I actually need to think and solve problems, when I commute I also read stuff and hear the bus noises in the background. Again not fully concentrated to the music.
If I suddenly get distracted from work by the music due to some eargasm part of whatever, I just enjoy the moment and get back to work...

Now I dont believe that bitperfect playback is the holy grail... If you'd convert all of your flacs to max rate AAC I bet you wouldnt hear a difference, especially on the go...
And DACs do up/down-sample internally either way. My Aune T1 goes up to 24/96 so anything above will be downsampled, not even sure if by the DAC or by the software but it doesn't matter. Many times I test highres files through Adobe Audition to see the frequencies, and many times (but not always) you'll see that everything above the audible spectrum is just static noise, nothing that dynamically changes with the music as everything between 0hz-20khz.... so why would you need that for, just turn it into redbook and cut the crap above 20khz :)
With the RU2 Jriver will play 'bitperfect' by keeping the sampling rate but will turn 24bit to 32bit, is this considered not bitperfect? no information is removed by that... damn in one of the videos ill paste down a guy did a test playing the same sample and reducing bit by bit, from 16 all down to 4, I started hearing a difference at around 7-9 (noise)

I know I went off topic, and will share links that many may know and have already seen here on head-fi, and I certainly don't want to start a discussion on audio science & myths, but I recommend you checking out those:

(Check out the whole thing but especially the demos from 32m
https://www.xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
https://web.archive.org/web/20200426202431/https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Thanks for the info,

Got me a UTWS3 after listening at a shop (UTWS5 was sold out and no supply anywhere in sight). Sounds pretty great to me. Especially relative to DC04 performance through Android audio stack.

There is relatively minor but not insignificant audible difference besides UTWS3 being brighter. I can see that difference being really important on certain sounds on certain tracks in terms of how eargasmic they sound. One particular track from Lorn just lost it's magic on UTWS3. But I'm nit picking here a very particular synth sound on one track. And I don't think this is a power issue (although I am not sure), because I have one of the more sensitive in-ear monitors. I mean the UTWS3 plays way too loud for me to ever need max volume or even half for that matter is too loud for more than just testing. DC04 is enough to blow up those phones. But yeah this is way more convenient and now I'm no longer stuck inside HiBy/Tidal. (@lushmelody Tidal is not that bad - even with their MQA fukup, they offer better quality than Spotify if you care for bitrates). Yeah, it's not for critical listening, but it's leaps ahead of smartphone jack and actually better than DC04 for me when played through android audio stack. Loving the product so far. Everything sounds pretty great, love the physical controls on this thing and I can't wait for this type of product that offers the power and quality of let's say DC04 in a couple of years maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back