USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jan 15, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #3,406 of 6,519
I think CS43131 is good too if you can find one in that price range from aliexpress lol.

Like for example this one but I can't find it from aliexpress. Make sure it says CS43131.
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-3-5mm...642285014&sprefix=ugreen+usb+c+,aps,61&sr=8-8

Gotcha, sorry I just assumed LOL. But yes in that case Questyle M12 should work out well for you.

As for Chronos, me and my friend might be the only 2 that thought it was just "okay". Like it's not bad, but for the price I feel like there are better dongle dac out there. But others seems to have good experience with it with IEM. For me I find it lacks layering and soundstage (kind of flat) on my Denon D5200 (fairly easy to drive headphone). Also not a lot of bass. Some people pointed out that based on specs it's identical to iBasso DC03, so it's suspected that it's just the same thing different shell.

Again Chronos seems to have raving reviews so I don't know, just letting you know that me and my friends weren't impressed LOL (I think he used Focal Clear, I used Denon D5200).

Otherwise let me know what you end up with later! Cheers!
I appreciate it that you tell me you and your friend were not convinced in the Chronos. I think that’s a good thing when there are different opinions of a product.
I remember when the Focal Utopia came out and everybody was raving about them but only much later there came opinions that it might be too revealing.
Or when everyone was hyped about the CA Vegas IEMs when they were released and only after a long time they got it that they where bass heavy. And that’s totally ok. Someone might love it that way, others don’t.

So wha I learned about that: That I want my DAC to be as neutral as possible. Maybe Questyle M12 is what I am searching for. Let’s see. Keep you posted.

Jan 15, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #3,407 of 6,519
Jan 16, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #3,408 of 6,519
Hmmm I think UGREEN carries a few different usb c to 3.5 mm dongle that uses different chip.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-3-5mm-Audio-Adapter-Headphone/dp/B08NVRV6G9/ref=sr_1_16_sspa?crid=2MTU0I0E0EL7V&keywords=ugreen+type+c+dongle&qid=1642209326&sprefix=ugreen+type+c+dongle,aps,46&sr=8-16-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNUVMNzI1NUZNOVNZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDE1ODM1MktNTUJUVUhETVdGQSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTI0NzM2Mkw5VUREWFpKUUpWJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==&tag=headfi-20

Seems like only this on uses CS43131 chip. The one you linked they didn't disclose what chip it uses.

And I tried to search from the same site they don't seem to carry the same one I linked.

Is it easier for you to buy from Kogan rather than Amazon?

I don't know why when I click on it it just send me to a general page as oppose to the actual item. Do I need to sign in to see or something?
I'm buying from Alixpress along with some spare tips and 2 pin cables
Can you confirm if this has the CS43131 chip you talked about

UGREEN USB C to 3.5mm Cable USB C Jack Cable Aux Cable for Huawei P30 Pro Oneplus 7 Pro Type c 3.5 MM Audio Headphone Adapter​

Ps. its looks like this is the one

UGREEN DAC Chip USB Type C to 3.5mm Jack Headphone Adapter USB C to 3.5 Audio Aux Cable For iPad Pro Samsung Galaxy Google Pixel​

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #3,409 of 6,519
I'm buying from Alixpress along with some spare tips and 2 pin cables
Can you confirm if this has the CS43131 chip you talked about

UGREEN USB C to 3.5mm Cable USB C Jack Cable Aux Cable for Huawei P30 Pro Oneplus 7 Pro Type c 3.5 MM Audio Headphone Adapter​

Ps. its looks like this is the one

UGREEN DAC Chip USB Type C to 3.5mm Jack Headphone Adapter USB C to 3.5 Audio Aux Cable For iPad Pro Samsung Galaxy Google Pixel​

I find aliexpress UGREEN dongles all just say "DAC Chip" so we never know which ones. So might be hard to find the exact same one.

If you're buying from aliexpress probably just pick up any dongle dac with CS46L41 or CX31993 (around $15-20), or any with CS43131 (around $50). Again there's tonnnnnnnnnsssssss of them at that price range so it's a little bit hard to say which is the best.

Jan 16, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #3,410 of 6,519
I find aliexpress UGREEN dongles all just say "DAC Chip" so we never know which ones. So might be hard to find the exact same one.

If you're buying from aliexpress probably just pick up any dongle dac with CS46L41 or CX31993 (around $15-20), or any with CS43131 (around $50). Again there's tonnnnnnnnnsssssss of them at that price range so it's a little bit hard to say which is the best.
Yeah but they make it clear if you're buying the one with the dac or without the dac. I bought the one with the dac obviously and came down to under $20aud. Bought a cheap 2 pin cable and silicon tips too

Jan 16, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #3,412 of 6,519
Yeah but they make it clear if you're buying the one with the dac or without the dac. I bought the one with the dac obviously and came down to under $20aud. Bought a cheap 2 pin cable and silicon tips too
But they seem to have 2 models that look almost identical:

This one it actually says CS43131 dac chip (notice it says 32 bit)
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-3-5mm-Audio-Adapter-Headphone/dp/B08NVRV6G9

This one it just says "Smart DAC" (this says 24 bit)
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Headphone-Converter-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B082WG5VTK

And it's kind of reflected in the price (first one more pricey) so I suspect the 2nd link just uses a cheaper DAC chip (maybe ALC chip, just guessing) while the first link uses CS43131. So I suspect the one on aliexpress is the one in the 2nd link. Again it's kind of unclear since it just says "DAC Chip" so I'd probably avoid buying it unless it specifically tell you what you're buying.

But I think you ordered already so let's hope it turn out ok. :sweat_smile:

EDIT: This looks like it might be ok??????
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003072090579.html

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #3,413 of 6,519
But they seem to have 2 models that look almost identical:

This one it actually says CS43131 dac chip (notice it says 32 bit)
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-3-5mm-Audio-Adapter-Headphone/dp/B08NVRV6G9

This one it just says "Smart DAC" (this says 24 bit)
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Headphone-Converter-Compatible-Samsung/dp/B082WG5VTK

And it's kind of reflected in the price (first one more pricey) so I suspect the 2nd link just uses a cheaper DAC chip (maybe ALC chip, just guessing) while the first link uses CS43131. So I suspect the one on aliexpress is the one in the 2nd link. Again it's kind of unclear since it just says "DAC Chip" so I'd probably avoid buying it unless it specifically tell you what you're buying.

But I think you ordered already so let's hope it turn out ok. :sweat_smile:

EDIT: This looks like it might be ok?????? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003072090579.htm
this is the one i got
https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot...2a0b7ebc94aaf95680808e35f34d3&ck=in_edm_other

Jan 16, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #3,414 of 6,519
Anyone used a USB-C dac with the new iPad Mini 6? I've read some conflicting reports that some DAC's aren't working correctly so wondering before I buy one.
Yes, works fine with original Apple-Dongle and my TempoTec Sonata HD. Had some problems with Oelbach USB-Bridge DAC (german brand, DAC no longer available). Testeton iPad Mini 6 with WiFi and Cellular.

Jan 16, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #3,415 of 6,519
Jan 16, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #3,417 of 6,519
lol I can't get this link to open for the life of me. Could you update the link to something a bit shorter or more direct, I think right now it's set to view through your account or something.
I see you all praise CS43131, is it actively better than CS46L41 and CX31993?
I think if I'm not mistaken CS43131 is either Cirrus Logic's mid tier chip or previous flagship (current flagship is CS43198). And CS46L41 seems to be their entry level chip I think.

CX31993 seems new I don't know much about it but based on price I'll assume is similar level to CS46L41.
Ohhhh good call! I couldn't find it on amazon but forgot to check aliexpress. Yes this is a good one with lots of good reviews.

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #3,418 of 6,519
Man I was just thinking about this now while eating breakfast on a Sunday morning.

I was like man remember why this whole dongle dac thing even started, was because Apple decide to be greedy and kill the 3.5 mm jack from phones so they could sell more Airpods / wireless headphones.

Funny enough this in turn propelled the need / popularity of dongle dacs. I remember at the beginning each manufacturers had 1 dongle of their brand and that was it. And some are passive cables that don't even have dacs. I remember I had my Pixel 1 phone which had really good quality off its 3.5 mm jack and I was thinking man what am I gonna do when I have to change phone.

Dragonfly has already been around at that time but it was aimed for laptop audience and people thought the size was too big and too clunky for cellphone use. And at the time of limited option I was reading that the Razer phone dongle was actually not too bad. I thought about buying one but in the era of $10 dongles, Razer's $20 dongle was mad expensive. People were like "is it worth twice the cost?????".

Funny enough now we fast track to today, Dragonfly is consider "normal size" and $20 dongles are dirt cheap. And we went from only having 5-6 options to now having 100+ options.

So I'd like to take a moment and thank Apple for being greedy and trying to push for wireless, which indirectly pushed the boundaries and advent of wired audio LOL.

We're hitting a point where for me at least I think dongle can get close enough in sound quality, where I'm ok using it on my desktop PC as oppose to bigger desktop solutions. Which saves me desk space too also turns on automatically with my computer so I don't need to think about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back