USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Mar 30, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #6,347 of 6,431
Controversial I know, but do you notice any sound differences between your usb cables?

I bought a TC09s mainly for the build quality and extra shielding, and I couldn't believe it, but there was a definite improvement to my ears...bass is tighter, midrange is clearer, images better and soundstage is better. Completely unexpected.
Honestly, I have never done in-depth a/b comparisons between the various USB cables. My aim was to provide the various dongles with the best possible connection and therefore the best possible cable. I consider my dongles as if they were a single 3500 euro DAC and therefore as I would have done for it by purchasing an excellent signal cable, I did the same for my dongles by purchasing doubt-proof cables. I didn't want to misjudge a dongle just because it comes with a 2 euro cable, something I read very often here. Then there is no need to spend who knows what amount... already the Shanling L3 for 15 euros is an excellent cable, then comes the ddHiFi TC09S which due to its double cable structure with signal and current separation and its construction tank level is the one I recommend most for its performance/resistance/price ratio. Then there are the two exotic cables (especially for the cost) which I have never recommended to anyone because I for one doubt their real value and obviously we are talking about the L&P WP1 and L&P WP2. If for a 3.5k euro DAC I would have taken a 300 euro signal cable, I did the same for the dongles but using 4 different cables that I use in different places and situations.

Mar 31, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #6,350 of 6,431
Do you have an example of this type of “cheap passive dongle” you caution against—like the one that may have damaged your hearing?

Although analog audio over USB-C is indeed a thing, I’m not aware of any “dongle” working that way… that’s why I’m curious! I only know about those headphones that use a 3.5mm to USB-C audio cable, but the analog audio over USB-C is on the headphone side, not the phone/DAP.

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #6,351 of 6,431
People are starting to talk well about the Acoustune AS2002 but not many people have tried it yet. The price is high but they say so is its performance. The DC04PRO was one of the first dongles to provide very detailed but not scratchy sound and for this reason it will always have a special place in my heart. But I'm noticing that dongles are drifting a bit like daps, meaning that if they don't cost close to 300 euros no one will consider them (in fact the Acoustune costs almost 300 euros). A few months ago only the best dongles cost near 300 euros, now it seems to be the minimum to get a good-sounding dongle. Which is very wrong, because the right sound and the right cost should always have priority in a dongle and in fact Astell & Kern has not exaggerated with the price of its AKHC4 and perhaps also for this reason it is not highly regarded... but for me it remains a mistake because the engineers at Astell & Kern know how to deal with sound and not only in their 4k euro daps. (personal opinion)

Really interested in the Acoustune AS2002, given the AKM dac and nifty Magsafe connection ring for iPhones. Has anyone tried it yet? I might have to blind buy...

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #6,352 of 6,431
Big part of my headphone hobby revolves around DIYing. Constructing and fixing headphones, stands and weaving cables. I wanted to build a small rig for my work desk where I use dongles most of the time. This is what turned out - a combination of a powered USB HUB and a phone stand.

IMG20240402121502.jpg
IMG20240402121526.jpg

IMG20240402121613.jpg
IMG20240402121641.jpg
IMG20240402121807.jpg

By the way, got the CB19. Works like a charm.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #6,353 of 6,431
Testing super capacitor tonight, moonriver2ti never sounded so good.

20240402_230831.jpg

[data] Phone -> uapp
-------->>> cb19 -> mr2ti (nos, high gain ) -> bax pro
[power] Samsung power bank -> tc01a -> tc09s -> super capacitor

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #6,354 of 6,431
Testing super capacitor tonight, moonriver2ti never sounded so good.

[data] Phone -> uapp
-------->>> cb19 -> mr2ti (nos, high gain ) -> bax pro
[power] Samsung power bank -> tc01a -> tc09s -> super capacitor
I have a kind of deja vu ...
I use magnets to stack that stuff together ...
1712132052039.png

... the RU6 (and RU7) loves ample instantaneous clean power :)

Edit: There are now smaller 5V-Super Capacitors available on aliexpress which have only USB-C input/output and support data transfer through that. They also work well and are a bit more portable.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #6,357 of 6,431
I have a kind of deja vu ...
I use magnets to stack that stuff together ...
1712132052039.png

... the RU6 (and RU7) loves ample instantaneous clean power :)

Edit: There are now smaller 5V-Super Capacitors available on aliexpress which have only USB-C input/output and support data transfer through that. They also work well and are a bit more portable.
Could you share a link to smaller ones? All I see are the silver bricks, same as I have.

Screenshot_20240403_091348_AliExpress.jpg

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #6,358 of 6,431
Could you share a link to smaller ones? All I see are the silver bricks, same as I have.

Sure. I bought two of these a few weeks ago:
1712150748402.png

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005006319204408.html

I am not at home, otherwise I would send you a picture with the two SCs for size comparision; these are significantliy smaller, have a switchable charging current limiter and pass high rate data through the USB-C ports aswell (if required).

EDIT:
Found another shop offering these and with such a picture ... unfortunately sold out there: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005006089502893.html

1712151239946.png

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #6,359 of 6,431
Would something like that work with a chord mojo with the mojo battery removed? I know some people have removed the battery to turn the mojo in to a static DAC by just using a standard charging cable or by installing small super capacitors.

Apr 3, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #6,360 of 6,431
Would something like that work with a chord mojo with the mojo battery removed? I know some people have removed the battery to turn the mojo in to a static DAC by just using a standard charging cable or by installing small super capacitors.
I use one of the super capacitors that way with my battery-less Mojo-1 (I went through two batteries and gave up - but I still have a Mojo-2 for truly portable use as well). There the SCs act more like a power supply with good filtering (as it does for the R2R RU6 and the 1bit RU7 DAC-dongles) and the DACs seem to gain a blacker background and a bit better dynamics and bass response.
The biggest impact the 5V super capacitors had, was however with 5V-powerd-amps like an ifi ZenCan Signature which totally transformed and now drives hard-to-drive headphones with a lot more authority, control and dynamics. The (more or less) instantaneous delivery of heaps of energy from the Super Caps on demand to the amp is very, very noticeable and the ZenCan design internally seems to support that very well... or - if you want to see it more negatively - the ZenCan was totally underpowered with the normal 5V power supply (including the more expensive ones like ifi iPower-X).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back