USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Jan 30, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #6,048 of 6,519
What to choose:

Moondrop dawn pro
Fiio KA11
Shanling UA1 Plus

Will be used on the go, on mobile phone.

Moondrop looks the best spec wise (balanced 4.4mm, which for now I will not be using), Fiio looks powerfull and robust, easy to handle on the go.

Are moondrop and shanling more for desktop use, does somebody using these dacs on the go, how is the cable? Fiio BTR5 is always upluging, and it is only usable on bluetooth, I don't want same with new dac.
I am using Shanling UA1 Plus on the go and the cable is holding nicely, never had disconnection issues or else. Now I have replaced the cable with a ddHiFi so to have more flexibility to put phone and UA1 in my pocket ..
It pairs well with my preferred IEMs and sounds just amazing

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #6,049 of 6,519
ru6top.jpg

The Cayin RU6 with step-down switching power supply (hub) and adequate amplification (RA2BFE) reaches very high levels. Once its limits (supply-amplification) are removed it becomes pure musical poetry...

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:09 AM Post #6,050 of 6,519
So I don't know how many out here are users of the iphone 15 with USB C, Dongles, and want to enjoy DoP of DSD files. It has been hard to do until now. The beta of IOS 17.4 enables this behavior with Neutron Player and at least the Cayin RU7. With the second public beta of 17.4, it appears that the FIIO Q3-MQA can decode DSD from the iphone but with DoP turned off. I am guessing this invokes some kind of native DSD mode.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 2:22 AM Post #6,051 of 6,519
Both the Shanling UA4 and the new FiiO KA17 share the ESS ES9069Q (two in the case of the FiiO) it would be nice if someone who owns both could do a comparison between the two. Obviously the power will inevitably be in favor of the FiiO (desktop mode) but which do you prefer in terms of audio quality and tone? Thank you.

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #6,052 of 6,519
Fiio KA11 dongle.

KA 11 1.jpg

Contains a CS43131 DAC chip.

This is a dongle DAC/AMP that disproves the adage "does size matter"?

Looking past its Lilliputian frame, and despite only having a single-ended 3.5 mm port, this dongle pumps out 200 mW at 32Ω, probably the most powerful dongle I've encountered in this small profile.

The "APPLE DONGLE IS ALL YOU NEED" gang can gnash their teeth and bang their heads on the table all they want - but the KA11 definitely kills the Apple Dongle in sheer output power.

Anyway, the KA11 is a warmish dongle with note weight on the slightly thicker side, treble extension is still good. Very decent technicalities for the $29 USD asking price (I bought this from Aliexpress BTW).

So on testing one of the hardest to drive IEMs (Final E5000 at 93 dB/mW sensitivity), I am surprised that the KA11 can drive it to adequate dynamics, with a relatively textured bass. Definitely desktop grade sources will do a better job, but some way pricier portable sources are not able to drive it, with the E5000 sounding one-noted and flabby in the bass as such.

Output impedance is also < 0.7 ohms, which makes it a suitable pairing with fussy customers.

There seems to be some DAC filters that can be accessed on the Fiio app too. Early days, will do more testing against other cheaper dongles and report back. But this dongle is definitely a mighty mouse, a pocket rocket.

Feb 1, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #6,054 of 6,519
E1DA 9038D was around for a while, and it has 180mW@32ohm

I have E1DA 9038D, but this Fiio KA11 is slightly more powerful (200 mW at 32 ohms), and cheaper than the E1DA. Doesn't get as hot too.

E1DA is also substantially larger. So in the Apple dongle type of small profile, I've not encountered something with more power than this.

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #6,056 of 6,519
Feb 2, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #6,057 of 6,519
Could you describe the sonic differences compared to say the DC04PRO? Thank you!
I have included a "general" comparison section because the Yuki is slightly different sounding from all op-amp based USB DACs. There is more heft and substance to the sound, timbre is more natural, the feeling is more organic and analog. How say it, with the Yuki the music sounds more like real music. Technicalities and transparency are not that impressive when compared to the champions of the category, like the DC04PRO but it is not lacking either.

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #6,058 of 6,519
Hi,
If you ever wanted to know about digital filters, especially but not limited in its usefulness to Hiby filters, this is your read. Also, should update your FC6 to the 1.07 firmware if you have not done so already.

https://store.hiby.com/pages/proof-of-evolution-darwin-filters-v2

Here is Andy updating to an older version. The download for the latest seems to have addressed his struggles and has the updater included.

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #6,060 of 6,519
When you're at home and want to get the most out of your dongles, try using this to power them and give them the power they need to express themselves to the fullest... it's cheap but it will transform all your dongles into something extraordinary. In addition to physically separating the signal from the current, it will prevent your mobile phone from discharging but it will not charge it either, avoiding damaging the battery (obviously it can also be used with a computer USB) and will provide all your dongles with unimaginable current and so power.

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005...t_main.42.7cbe3696wYj9tq&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita
153002.jpg

Thank you for flagging this one ... it is proving to be a pleasant find!
Was delivered this morning and I just tried it out.. it is as bulky as I imagined it, surprisingly is sucks up the same amount of energy as the Shangling UA2 (that runs on a dual ES9038 and has about twice output power) [I am surprised, was expecting worse] but sounds really good to my ears ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back