USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Feb 1, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #2,416 of 6,201
I've never heard of cases where Android's 44->48kHz upsampling caused dropouts.
However those dropouts sound more like a network issue to me. You can download the trial version of UAPP here and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the response. It's not a network issue (happens with local content). It sounds like a USB driver/sync issue.

After trying different devices, with different cables, at different bitrates (on a Mac), I'm coming to the conclusion that the USB receiver in the headphones is defective.

For security reasons, I can't sideload the trial version of UAPP. But at this point I first need to fix my hardware issue anyway.

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #2,417 of 6,201
Hi, how are you, I see that this post has many answers.

I am new in this music in MQA format, I acquired the UAPP, (lg g7) I have configured it, and I have been able to play dsd, and 24-bit flac files natively, as seen in below images.

However when wanting to play MQA files, I see that it does a "downsampling" exactly half the sampling rate.

This is normal?

Because when using the factory player of the LG G7 if it detects MQA and seems to be playing the native bitrate.

Also none of the MQA files are detected and added to the library by UAPP, I have to scan them through folders and play them, this is also normal?

Thank you.

UAPP makes a guess of what the sample rate would be, so you can safely ignore it. If it shows anything more than 48kHz, it will do a full MQA unfold. I'll probably change the sample rate indication a bit in a next version. When using 'Automatic' scanning, UAPP scans only the Music folder, so if your MQA tracks are somewhere else you need to use the 'Manual' option and select the folder in which your MQA tracks are present.

Feb 1, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #2,418 of 6,201
Thanks for the response. It's not a network issue (happens with local content). It sounds like a USB driver/sync issue.

After trying different devices, with different cables, at different bitrates (on a Mac), I'm coming to the conclusion that the USB receiver in the headphones is defective.

For security reasons, I can't sideload the trial version of UAPP. But at this point I first need to fix my hardware issue anyway.

That makes perfect sense that a USB connection or receiver issue could cause this. That said, you're gonna need UAPP anyway, to avoid upsampling as mentioned by @archy121. So I would just buy it from Play Store and give it a try. Who knows, maybe UAPP's USB driver cooperates better with your headphones.

Feb 1, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #2,419 of 6,201
After trying UAPP once i have not yet looked back. Very robust app for my needs of avoiding android SRC.

Feb 3, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #2,420 of 6,201
edit: this turned out to only work for 320 streaming tidal on cellular. Wifi = still an issue. /edit

Ok, you guys with the v30 pops etc, I tried the below and am having good luck so far:

Turn off 'tasker' which is a automation app that always runs in the background. Disable is not needed just quit the service by toggle button.

Turn off 'adguard' which is an app that filters traffic for ads. Disable is not needed, toggle off is just fine.

Put phone in vibrate mode .

With those three things, I've had about 25 mins of playback that's been perfect!

Now, which one is responsible for the elimination of the pops I can't say yet .also its entirely possible that the closing of adguard and Tasker which stops the persistent notifications is responsible. this would support the theory that persistent notifications are the culprit .finally it's possible that its just luck so far and that it'll flake out here in the next hour or so...so fingers crossed.

I wonder if vibrate setting alone would solve issue? Anyone here that has tried that already and cand debunk that theory?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #2,421 of 6,201
Ok, you guys with the v30 pops etc, I tried the below and am having good luck so far:

Turn off 'tasker' which is a automation app that always runs in the background. Disable is not needed just quit the service by toggle button.

Turn off 'adguard' which is an app that filters traffic for ads. Disable is not needed, toggle off is just fine.

Put phone in vibrate mode .

With those three things, I've had about 25 mins of playback that's been perfect!

Now, which one is responsible for the elimination of the pops I can't say yet .also its entirely possible that the closing of adguard and Tasker which stops the persistent notifications is responsible. this would support the theory that persistent notifications are the culprit .finally it's possible that its just luck so far and that it'll flake out here in the next hour or so...so fingers crossed.

I wonder if vibrate setting alone would solve issue? Anyone here that has tried that already and cand debunk that theory?

Good work!

Since my earlier posting on the subject (pops and clicks during Tidal streaming) I haven't gotten to test as much as I'd hoped. But I did listen maybe for an hour to Redbook tracks with the MQA flag disabled -- AND with those apps uninstalled, disabled or deactivated that I mentioned. I didn't get many pops, maybe one every 20 mins, if even that. I've seen before that lower bitrate tracks already make a big difference.

But no doubt reducing other background tasks made the biggest difference -- which figures if the issue is caused by delayed interrupt handling or call-back processing (so-called latencies). I think in my case the biggest culprits were Notification History (an app that logs notifications) and Persistent Notifications from Blokada (ad blocker) and HiFi Status app (showing gain mode). It stands to reason that continuously logging notifications from apps with Persistent Notifications could introduce latencies. But strangely, I never experienced other noticeable slowdowns from it, despite being in Battery Saver mode most of the time. And again, even before uninstalling/disabling those apps, there were no pops and clicks in the Tidal app (except a very few times) despite solely playing MQA tracks there with twice the bitrate.

And BTW the Tidal app uses exactly the same LG flags as UAPP when playing MQA, so it would seem that the MQA flag in itself does not markedly increase latencies within the LG driver (@Davy Wentzler).

Edit: As for Persistent Notifications in general, I still have those from Battery Saver as well as UAPP itself. But unless they are constantly updated, I don't think they should be a problem in themselves. Again, the Tidal app also has a persistent notification.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #2,422 of 6,201
I may have gotten ahead of myself. All worked flawlessly as I described above in Post #2420. But I failed to mention, this was on cellular data with 320AAC tidal. Subsequently, I went on to enjoy over an hour of perfect UAPP playback on a car ride to and from where my daughters live. Just over an hour roundtrip.

But... the minute i got home, turned on wifi, and restarted UAPP, there were the pops/interruptions again, just as they were before. :frowning2: So it's back to the drawing board. I'll try limiting as many background apps as possible and may even venture into developer settings to see if I can limit "current process only" to run. I'll report back findings.

and i'll sadly go back and amend my over exuberant post so others know what type of files I was playing and the network state. Also, I'll spoil it so they don't get all jazzed.

thanks for your confirmation and replies @Dannemand :thumbsup:

Feb 3, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #2,423 of 6,201
@buonassi: I can completely see that happen!

If you do go the Developer Options route, you're looking for "Inactive apps" all the way down the end of that menu. Inactivate any apps you can in there. Some can't be inactivated, such as Gmail, Messaging etc.

Edit: Something else: Try reducing your Network chunk size. Mine is at 64kB, and I'm thinking of trying 32kB if it means breaking network tasks into smaller slices.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #2,424 of 6,201
That makes perfect sense that a USB connection or receiver issue could cause this. That said, you're gonna need UAPP anyway, to avoid upsampling as mentioned by @archy121. So I would just buy it from Play Store and give it a try. Who knows, maybe UAPP's USB driver cooperates better with your headphones.

Update: I tried two different N90Q units, on two different Android devices, and could not get a stable USB link. Then I tried UAPP in bit-perfect mode and so far it is working perfectly. Thanks, UAPP!

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #2,425 of 6,201
Is it a good idea to have a global indicator in the app as to the file type for eg. MP3, Flac, DSD ape etc? Something similar to onkyo hf player and hiby music app?

Feb 7, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #2,426 of 6,201
UAPP running just fine on a RaspberryPi 3B+. GUI browsing and UPNP rendering works as expected, MQA unfold works as expected. For some reason UAPP detects my keyboard as a USB device and tries to claim it (the keyboard does not have an audio jack builtin) but aside from that it's perfect.

@Davy Wentzler have you given any thought to the idea of building and selling UAPP powered streamers? Right now this thing works better than 99% of dedicated streamers, the only thing left to do is to adjust it for headless operation, pack it inside a minimal Android image and pack it in a nice metal case.

51429083_2319338494772597_1101304836751622144_n (1).jpg

Feb 7, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #2,427 of 6,201
UAPP running just fine on a RaspberryPi 3B+. GUI browsing and UPNP rendering works as expected, MQA unfold works as expected. For some reason UAPP detects my keyboard as a USB device and tries to claim it (the keyboard does not have an audio jack builtin) but aside from that it's perfect.

@Davy Wentzler have you given any thought to the idea of building and selling UAPP powered streamers? Right now this thing works better than 99% of dedicated streamers, the only thing left to do is to adjust it for headless operation, pack it inside a minimal Android image and pack it in a nice metal case.

Sounds easy doesn't it? I'll throw you some issues to think about: paying for licenses (HDMI, WMA, etc.), distribution network, warranty, not sure what it is called in other countries, but things like 'quality mark' for electric devices, etc. It's a totally different game than just uploading an apk to the Play Store.

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #2,428 of 6,201
Sounds easy doesn't it? I'll throw you some issues to think about: paying for licenses (HDMI, WMA, etc.), distribution network, warranty, not sure what it is called in other countries, but things like 'quality mark' for electric devices, etc. It's a totally different game than just uploading an apk to the Play Store.
Yeah, I know. That's why I suggested reaching out to Allo Digital for partnership, they already have all that (and their own single board computer)

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #2,429 of 6,201
Selling a prebuilt Android image for people to flash themselves could also be an option. Dunno how to prevent people from pirating it yet but the point is UAPP has all the features it needs to compete with commercial streamers. It only needs a hardware platform capable of running 24/7 in headless mode.

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #2,430 of 6,201
Hello Dann. I have been facing a curious issue. In Library I can't scroll down under the "composers" tab. All other tabs ,such as Artists, Album etc work fine, only under Composers the tab seems to be frozen at the first 8 or 10 names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back