urgent help needed, ipod headphone jack broken....
Jun 8, 2003 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Dweebgal

500+ Head-Fier
so i think my ipod headphone jack has broken somehow, fyi it was fine before i charged it last night, and it's only been sat on my desk since...go figure.

anyway, i plugged my headphones intoday, i got only one side from it at a time, i wiggled the plug until i got some sound, but now it's died completley. the jack is also completley loose in the housing.

i have taken the back of my ipod off and it does look like the legs of the headphone jack have all somehow come unattached from the board.

on the board i can see some little metal terminal type things that look like they would line up with the feet of the jack, if i attach a small amount of solder to these, do you think i will get my sound back?

Jun 8, 2003 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 23
I think they may want to send it in to Apple. Fudging with anything yourself may void the warranty. Good luck!

Jun 8, 2003 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 23
How old is your iPod? If it is still under the warranty period (1 year), just take it to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized service center and they'll send it off to be fixed, most likely for free.

--Chris

Jun 8, 2003 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp
How old is your iPod? If it is still under the warranty period (1 year), just take it to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized service center and they'll send it off to be fixed, most likely for free.

--Chris

there isn;t one near me, so it's not really an option.

plus it's secondhand, so i cant prove how old or new it is (apparently it's only about 6/7 motnhs old)

a repair is my only option really

i just want to check if i was going about it the right way

Jun 8, 2003 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Dweebgal
there isn;t one near me, so it's not really an option.

plus it's secondhand, so i cant prove how old or new it is (apparently it's only about 6/7 motnhs old)

Apple has repair centers in the UK. If you're under warranty, they'll fix it.

As for proving you're under warranty, doesn't the person from whom you purchased it have a receipt? What model is it? If it's the one without the moving scroll wheel, those came out in July 2002, so there's no way it wouldn't be under warranty. I would definitely call Apple and get it repaired.

Jun 8, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 23
you think it will be that difficult to repair a loose connection?

also it's a touchwhell one, so it should still be under warranty....but how do i find my local service center?

Jun 8, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

also it's a touchwhell one, so it should still be under warranty....but how do i find my local service center?

Check out the Apple UK support site:

http://www.info.apple.com/gben/index.html

I would personally NOT try any of the "fixes" on iPodLounge or any of the other sites until Apple takes a look at it. If you try to fix it yourself, you may end up voiding your warranty.

Jun 8, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 23
i just tried through the apple site..... it seems my ipod is out of warranty.

i'm gonna get hold of the guy who sold it to me and ask for the receipt for it.

Jun 8, 2003 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 23
righty.... apparently my dad knows this guy who works as a micro engineer, and spends all the time microsoldering stuff on pcbs, and becuase he works for british aerospace/rolls royce he's used to dealing with very expensive stuff.

so my dad's gonna ask him to try and fix it.

if that fails, my cousin is manager of my local pcworld, so i might try and get a discount on a new one

Jun 8, 2003 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 23
dude, all it needs is to have the wiring re-soldered, don't go buy a new one! Have it repaired.

Jun 8, 2003 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 23
apparently apple themselves charge so much for broken headphone jacks.

i'll find out for sure tomorrow

Jun 8, 2003 at 9:26 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Definitely do -- I can't believe it's out of warranty if it's the "touchwheel" version. They were released in July 2002, so the warranty should be good at *least* until July 2003. Good luck.

Jun 8, 2003 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 23
well, i'll phone 'em and argue tomorrow.

but they say you need the reciept if thier website says it's out of service.

LAME
frown.gif

Jun 9, 2003 at 12:04 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

There is a part of the Apple support pages where you can check the warranty based on the serial number of the iPod. Is that what you tried?

--Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back