UpTone Audio USB REGEN
Jul 3, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #151 of 1,138
I've never been able to get the otg/line out to work from my htc M8 (and I got it thinking it somehow was more music oriented). Likely go Samsung next upgrade.

Do you mean using the phone's (Android OS) USB audio driver to play all audio from the phone? I can't do that with my phone (S4 (Lollipop)), it's apparently possible with the s5 though using Lollipop but funnily enough not with the s6 even with it using Lollipop!
It's amusing you say that, I was looking at the m9 for my next phone purchase (apparently it's possible).

-The S6 doesn't take SD cards but does have a bottom USB 2.0 port and also no USB native audio. The same is true for the
-The S5 does take SD cards, but has a bottom USB 3.0 port (can't use a recently purchased cable) and does support USB native audio (I beleieve it is all also true for the Note 4)
-The Sony Xperia phones support SD cards, has a side USB 2.0 port (not suitable for most USB cables ergonomically) and supports USB audio, even before Lollipop.
-The m9 supports SD cards, has a bottom USB 2.0 port and also supports USB native audio (from what I've read)

So, the m9 ticks all boxes for me! Plus, it has a bunch of other features that might be worthwhile with headphone use.

It's funny though, Android have added this function to its OS now, but for some reason, most manufacturers have it disabled. You can enable it in the settings again, but it doesn't always work. It may work for your m8, but didn't for my S4.

If it doesn't, it might be worth sticking with HTC and going up a model. :)

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #152 of 1,138
Mabye M9 is the way to go my next purchase, M8 won't do it (believe it is upgraded to Lolipop, but I have tried a number of times, can't get it to work).

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #154 of 1,138
135 USB Regens are shipping out this week.

Update:  100 shipped this week, according to a later post made by Superdad.  See the post by elviscaprice, below...

Joy!

biggrin.gif

Mike

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #155 of 1,138
Jul 10, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #156 of 1,138

My order is within the first 135, but just over the first 100 cited for next week. So potentially up to a 3 week wait from now before it shows up at my door. (Assuming 5 days shipping)

The first 100 this week, the next 35 beginning of next week.  As quoted by Alex.

"Guess I should have posted here as well. Heading to the post office now with 100 REGENs; another 35 at the beginning of the week and then more each of the following two weeks. By middle of August the entire 500+ order backlog will be cleared and we will have crossed the 1,000 REGENs shipped mark! Glad you all are enjoying them. Thanks ever so much.
Can't wait to be able to reveal the details about the 1A power device which is going to turn a lot of heads (the prototype already has 217 parts on the board!).

Best,
--Alex C."

"

Jul 10, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #157 of 1,138

My order is within the first 135, but just over the first 100 cited for next week. So potentially up to a 3 week wait from now before it shows up at my door. (Assuming 5 days shipping)

The first 100 this week, the next 35 beginning of next week.  As quoted by Alex.

"Guess I should have posted here as well. Heading to the post office now with 100 REGENs; another 35 at the beginning of the week and then more each of the following two weeks. By middle of August the entire 500+ order backlog will be cleared and we will have crossed the 1,000 REGENs shipped mark! Glad you all are enjoying them. Thanks ever so much.
Can't wait to be able to reveal the details about the 1A power device which is going to turn a lot of heads (the prototype already has 217 parts on the board!).

Best,
--Alex C."

"

Ah, I misread. So probably more like 1.5 weeks before I get mine.

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #158 of 1,138

Best,
--Alex C."

"

Will we get an email with a tracking number to alert us that it's on the way?

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #161 of 1,138

Best,
--Alex C."

"

Will we get an email with a tracking number to alert us that it's on the way?

Yes ... Alex Crespi from UpTone Audio sent me a tracking number for both Regens.

I am very curious about his comment of "the 1A power device which is going to turn a lot of heads (the prototype already has 217 parts on the board!)."
He continues to tease us with breadcrumbs of information about this 1A power device ... which can not yet be named.
I, for one, am very interested, as the USB Regen performs above & beyond my expectations ... creating a very strong interest in what these guys do in the future ... UpTone Audio is certainly a company to watch.

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #162 of 1,138

Mabye M9 is the way to go my next purchase, M8 won't do it (believe it is upgraded to Lolipop, but I have tried a number of times, can't get it to work).

Yeah, I'd consider the Sony route if I hadn't recently spent $300 on a USB cable and an SD Card. But the m9 seems to be the better way to go anyway.

Which brand & type of SD card ?

If I remember correctly, you had an original green Regen like me (hope I got that right) ... has your amber upgrade board for the Regen arrived ?

*** Side note to minimise any confusion to other readers of this thread ... the first 100 early adopters had "Green" Regen in April 2015 (???) ... the Regen was further tweaked to have an "Amber" LED with further significant improvements by adding several capacitors and such (roughly said to be about 40% better).     The early adopters were well taken care of .... very generously in fact ... with a fair & just deal  (to the consumer) by UpTone Audio ... who charged a very small amount for us early adopters to get the "latest & greatest" and we still got to keep the original "Green" Regen to do with what we want.    Short answer .... we were very fairly treated ... outstanding in fact ... by UpTone Audio.    Oh,  all the Regens shipping have been amber for a very long time now,  it was just us rabid early adopters who got the version with the green LED.    
Really short answer ... don't worry, if you are buying or have already bought a Regen, it is the amber version. ***

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #163 of 1,138
  It's way past time for bed, but here are my first impressions of the USB Regen (with a Supra USB cable - as recommended by John Swenson):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/uptone-audio-regen-listening-impressions-24078/index35.html#post444567

Joy!

Mike

Hi Mike ... I am very interested in your feedback as I know from your posts that you have an above average ability to discern any changes, and even more than that, 
you have an ability to write in an exceptionally articulate & coherent manner (at least compared to this Ozzie).    So, I look forward to your thoughts.

By the way, could you post your thoughts here in this thread as well as CA?  That would be great.

John

Jul 12, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #164 of 1,138
Went to your CA part, liking forward to getting my unit. Have to say, didn't know what most of the stuff you have in the set up IS...just recently learned about LPS from feeling with the Geek Out 1k (have the Special Edition). I think the voltage is the correct one for the GO...is there a benefit to using this along with our instead of a Vaunix Lab Brick powered hub, which I use now? Thanks.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #165 of 1,138
  (snip)

By the way, could you post your thoughts here in this thread as well as CA?  That would be great.

John

Thanks for those kind words, John - I hope I can continue to live up to them.  
redface.gif

Went to your CA part, liking forward to getting my unit. Have to say, didn't know what most of the stuff you have in the set up IS...just recently learned about LPS from feeling with the Geek Out 1k (have the Special Edition). I think the voltage is the correct one for the GO...is there a benefit to using this along with our instead of a Vaunix Lab Brick powered hub, which I use now? Thanks.

Hi doctorjazz,

The USB Regen will only pull data from your Mac or PC's USB port - or from an Apple device that has a CCK (camera connection kit).  

The USB Regen will ignore any power that arrives at its input via the USB cable from your source. 

It gets its power not from its USB input, but rather from a separate, 2.5mm coaxial barrel connector, requiring a minimum supply voltage of 6V, up to a maximum of 9V (if your DAC pulls 5VDC power from your laptop or PC), or a maximum of 12V (if your DAC is internally powered and thus pulls no power from your laptop or PC.)  

But again, the minimum is 6VDC (with a continuous current rating of at least 1 Amp) and your Vaunix hub, though wonderfully regulated, only supplies 5VDC.

So, where do you get 6V to 9V power (for a USB-powered DAC/amp like your GO 1000?  

The USB Regen comes with a 7.5V SMPS (switch-mode power supply) that you can use to power the USB Regen (and your GO 1000 that's plugged into the USB Regen).

Early adopters have found, however, that the better your downstream gear, the more attention you'll want to pay to providing the USB Regen with really noise-free power.

Many people will no doubt be completely happy with the included 7.5V SMPS, but others have found that, for their ears and gear, the benefits of the USB Regen can be taken further still by improving the power supply to the Regen.  

There are people out there using the $925 UpTone Audio JS-2 power supply and testifying that their $175 USB Regens can appreciate the difference.

I'm currently experimenting with much less expensive power options for the USB Regen - the $45 TeraDak U9VA 9V (adjustable) linear power supply and an Anker Astro 3 LiPo battery pack operated in 9V mode (now rebranded, as seen here)

Alex Crespi (Superdad) has already announced a new UpTone Audio product that's still in the design phase, which can optionally be inserted between their standard 7.5V SMPS and the USB Regen, to vastly improve the power quality coming into the USB Regen - so stay tuned for more information about that critter.  Pricing and a release date are not yet available. It doesn't even have a name yet, but lots of people already want it - such is their confidence in UpTone's John Swenson - to hit another one out of the park.

Meanwhile, there's plenty of audible improvements to be enjoyed  just using the USB Regen with the included SMPS.  They spent a lot of time testing off-the-shelf SMPS units before selecting the one they are shipping with the USB Regen.

Everything that can be tweaked will be tweaked, so it's no surprise some people are spending a lot of money to improve the power supplies used to drive the USB Regen, but you really don't need anything other than what comes with the USB Regen to enjoy what a lot of people are calling perhaps the best bang-for-the-buck they've ever had with an audio purchase.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back