Upsampling Shanling - Art Dio ?
Sep 23, 2002 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Erz

New Head-Fier
I recently saw a ad for the CD player I own, the Shanling CD-S100. ( I think it is the Chinese version of the Music Hall unit ) It stated that this unit upsampled the standard CD to better bit rates. Is this true?

2nd Question. If I buy a ART DIO, does this unit upsample or strictly take the rate that is fed it and produce better sound?

Last, Do Ieven need the art DIO to get better sound.

Sep 23, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 4
Shanling is the manufacturer. Music Hall imports them from China, and rebadges them. My guess is that their advertising is true, but someone who owns one will have to say.

The ART DI/O does not upsample. It can be set to sample a 44.1 data stream at 88.2. Sometimes this results in improvement.

Whether or not a DI/O can improve on the sound of the Shanling is going to be a matter of personal taste, and how good the Shanling really is. My guess is that a modified DI/O will improve on the sound, but whether it's worth the effort and expense is up to you, and there are no guarantees.

Sep 27, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 4
I own a Music Hall mmf cd25 and i dont think it upsamples.I think the more expensive t100 does. I know my player does do hdcd decoding.

Sep 27, 2002 at 5:42 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Erz
I recently saw a ad for the CD player I own, the Shanling CD-S100. ( I think it is the Chinese version of the Music Hall unit ) It stated that this unit upsampled the standard CD to better bit rates. Is this true?

2nd Question. If I buy a ART DIO, does this unit upsample or strictly take the rate that is fed it and produce better sound?

Last, Do Ieven need the art DIO to get better sound.

No, no and maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back