Upgrading my Shure se215
Jun 28, 2019 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Opus131

100+ Head-Fier
As title says. I can't spend more than 100-150 dollars mind you, and i'm not sure there's anything in the price range i'm looking at that would be a net upgrade from the se215, but i guess it's worth asking.

My problem with the Shure is this. I use an LG V10 as my music player, and i always found the sound of the Shure to be... somewhat distant, opaque and kinda "dark", which technically i actually kinda prefer because i'm sensitive to high frequencies and i hate thin and brittle sounds, but in the case of the Shure it makes it hard to listen to music in loud settings, basically every time i walk outside the house which is where sound isolation comes into play, but with the Shure is not enough and i'm forced to fiddle around with the EQ and gain settings of my phone app (i'm using Power Amp 3). Sometimes i'm even forced to use the "loud" preset (the one meant for the speaker of the phone), basically every time i walk into traffic.

Now as far as music what i listen to mostly is classical and jazz, but i'm still kind of a basshead and i like sounds that are warm and rich, "tube" like if you will. Sound separation and stage is also key with those kind of musical genres, but i'm not sure whether i can expect anything decent in the price range i'm looking at.

I don't know what kind of improvements have been made through out the years since i've bought my Shure. I suppose i *could* try raise my budget to 200 or something, but only if the upgrade is really worth it.

BTW, detachable cable is a must. I'm assuming that goes without saying here, but hey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back