Upgrading/modifying my TT (Pro-Ject Debut III)
Oct 14, 2010 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jbarbier

Head-Fier
hi guys!  i'm interested in upgrading the sound capabilities from my Pro-Ject Debut III.  just wondering what would be the best starting place?

i have heard that the Ortofon OM-5 is a decent cart and that i should focus on changing other things first (like adding platter and a speed box,) but i really want to try a Grado cart (since i LOVE grado phones, i would like to try some Grado carts, makes sense, no?) I'm not sure if it's just my system, but i find that the Ortofon leaves a lot to be desired in the higher frequencies, i feel like it's a bit too warm -- even for vinyl.  i'm not looking for digital, CD-like sterility, but rather more detail in the upper range.  i heard that an acrylic platter could be beneficial?  if it makes a difference, i have an OM10 stylus on my OM5.  other things to be considered are:  i'm using a vintage NAD 3020 integrated for its phono section (which i feel is pretty nice) and i have Grado SR225 'phones.  loudspeakers are Polk Monitor 5.  i find a lack of detail in the higher-frequencies no matter what speaker or headphone combo i use, so i'm thinking that it's probably the platter or cart.  where would start?

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 5
Changing the cartridge will definitely change the sound. If you want something with more treble, maybe try a Grado.

Oct 15, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 5
I have that table and I have been looking for upgrade options too.

I have got a totally opposing impression. The cart is the first thing you should change. Upgrading the needle (which you have already done) can make it somewhat better. There is no tonearm height adjustment though which limits your choice in carts, you should make sure that the new cart is about the same height than the OM-5. You might also need to upgrade the counter weight since the standard one is only 6g and for heavier carts you need a heavier counter weight.

I have heard some good things about upgrading the platter and getting a speed box. I am not sure how they change the sound though. Also due to the lack of adjustment in the tonearm I wouldn't spend too much money on upgrading this table, rather if you are spending a lot of money buy a better table all together.

Oct 15, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 5
I agree I would NOT make a lot of upgrades to the turntable itself.  If you want to upgrade in that regard, I would save for a nice table, like a VPI Scout, perhaps.

Oct 15, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 5
Good replies, thanks.  After much research, I have found that it's probably best that I stick with the Ortofon OM series carts, but I would like to experiment a bit, so I will have to measure the Ortofon height to see how many options that leaves.  I'm really, really interested in hearing the Grado carts, though.  The steel platter on the Debut III also lends an extremely "hollow" and "high-pitched" essence to the overall sound.  I think that is the main determinant in my wanting to change the platter.  The thing about the Speed Box is that it supposedly offers even more precise control over the speed, so this (obviously) helps with tone and pitch, which I think could be a good idea for a more high-end TT, but due to the Pro-Ject's tonearm deficiencies... probably not.  But then again, if one is happy with the Ortofon's sound, I have heard of many users who are extremely happy with the Speed Box "upgrade."  But that would certainly have to be the last possible upgrade, IMO.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back