Upgrading headphone cables. Nordost Heimdall 2 or Kimber Kable Axios?
Jan 17, 2021 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

VladYR

100+ Head-Fier
I recently upgraded the stock cables on a pair of Sony MDR-Z1R to the Nordost Heimdall 2. I definitely enjoy them more for a variety of reasons. One of the main one is that they are not silver plated unlike the stock cables, which fixed the problem with the overall presentation being overly bright.

Originally, I was planning to go with the Kimber Kable Axios cables but a dealer offered the Nordost at a discount. I still have a pair of Meze Empyrean that I want to upgrade and there is an opportunity to get the same Nordost cables at a 25% off. Has anyone had an opportunity to compare the two cables or have any impressions concerning the Kimber cables? Any input would be much appreciated.

Vlad

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 16
both cable play at really different character. Heimdall is more about airy, sparkle and fast decay. Axios (16 wire in my case) is full body, sweet, slight to dark than neutral and also with huge soundstage.
Thanks for the reply. I’m currently burning in the Heimdall loaner cable so I haven’t really been able to form any accurate impressions. Hopefully it will be ready relatively soon. Personally, which one did you like better?

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 16
Re Kimber Kables...

This is my first post in this forum - normally I’m a lurker who enjoys the insights and discussions, but I feel compelled to post on my recent cable upgrade experience.

I have the Sony Signature series amp - TA-ZH1ES - the dap / amp - WM1A - and the Z1R cans.

Up until today I was using the stock balanced cable that come with the Z1Rs, which for the most part was doing the job.

It was bugging me that I was not seemingly being drawn into the music with my setup. Reading the posts on this site and others related to the Z1Rs was making me question my purchase of the Sony gear. Muddy bass, problematic treble - all that talk was making me reluctant to listen to music.

Anyway I needed a longer cable to account for where my amp is set up in my living room. A second-hand 2m Kimber Kable (the one Sony makes, not an exclusive Kimber one) was available on eBay for a good price, so I took the plunge to make for less restrictive lounge room listening.

So, about 20 minutes ago I received the cable. Plugged in, loaded a track (Ships w/ Sails - The Doors - Other Voices (hi res, which I’m not sure makes a difference) and sat back, not expecting much other than the benefit of being able to lie on the couch.

My God.

Transfixed at what the cans are now pouring into my ears: pure liquid audio gold. I can’t believe how different they are.

I now get what the term ‘width’ means when used to refer to soundstage on headphones. The bass is just crystal clear now. I really can’t describe how different it is.

I am very sceptical when it comes to subjectivity and will question my own experiences and biases vigorously (hence why I have been up until now questioning the Z1R’s performance). But this change in performance of my Z1Rs cannot be understated. I am now on to a live performance of La Mer (Debussy) and I am in the fking hall with the orchestra!

Just my own experience that as I said I feel compelled to share because it has been very real for me.

Long story short: I reckon Kimber Kables make a difference!!

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 16
Re Kimber Kables...

This is my first post in this forum - normally I’m a lurker who enjoys the insights and discussions, but I feel compelled to post on my recent cable upgrade experience.

I have the Sony Signature series amp - TA-ZH1ES - the dap / amp - WM1A - and the Z1R cans.

Up until today I was using the stock balanced cable that come with the Z1Rs, which for the most part was doing the job.

It was bugging me that I was not seemingly being drawn into the music with my setup. Reading the posts on this site and others related to the Z1Rs was making me question my purchase of the Sony gear. Muddy bass, problematic treble - all that talk was making me reluctant to listen to music.

Anyway I needed a longer cable to account for where my amp is set up in my living room. A second-hand 2m Kimber Kable (the one Sony makes, not an exclusive Kimber one) was available on eBay for a good price, so I took the plunge to make for less restrictive lounge room listening.

So, about 20 minutes ago I received the cable. Plugged in, loaded a track (Ships w/ Sails - The Doors - Other Voices (hi res, which I’m not sure makes a difference) and sat back, not expecting much other than the benefit of being able to lie on the couch.

My God.

Transfixed at what the cans are now pouring into my ears: pure liquid audio gold. I can’t believe how different they are.

I now get what the term ‘width’ means when used to refer to soundstage on headphones. The bass is just crystal clear now. I really can’t describe how different it is.

I am very sceptical when it comes to subjectivity and will question my own experiences and biases vigorously (hence why I have been up until now questioning the Z1R’s performance). But this change in performance of my Z1Rs cannot be understated. I am now on to a live performance of La Mer (Debussy) and I am in the fking hall with the orchestra!

Just my own experience that as I said I feel compelled to share because it has been very real for me.

Long story short: I reckon Kimber Kables make a difference!!
I had the same cable until recently. Unfortunately, virtually all gold scrapped off the amplifier end plug, which tends to turn quite often given its L shape. Oddly enough, the plugs on the ear up side started degrade also. Admitedly, this cable makes the above mentioned setup a lot more enjoyable but Sony branded Kimber cables should be avoided because of poor craftsmanship and total lack of service from either Sony or Kimber arable when they fail.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 16
Damnit! I didn't even think that was a thing. Thanks for the heads up.

I shall leave it plugged into the balanced port on the amp!
Try to avoid it turning in the socket. That ought to prolong its lifespan. It would have been so much better if Sony made it with a straight plug rather than the L shaped one. On a side note, find a nice power cable for the amplifier. It tends to make a great deal of difference.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 16
I did replace the power cable with an L-shaped one from my TV (as it fits in the case I have for the amp much better). I'm not sure if it made a difference but interesting that they make a difference. Any to recommend...?

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 16
From my experience with this amp, the cables that made a difference tended to be close to the value of the amp itself. Anything else didn’t really make any perceptible effect on the sound quality. The one that I settled on was Nordost Frey 2, which retails for around $2000 for 2 meters. I was lucky enough to pick up 3 at 60% off as a dealer friend of mine was liquidating his Nordost inventory. It was worth it.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 16
Lordy. I cannot afford that!

Luckily I am enthralled with where the sound is at with my setup now. Hopefully I can keep the cable in good condition for as long as possible.

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 16
Another interesting possibility for you to explore is Audirvana. I didn’t think playback software made a difference but you’d be surprised.

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #13 of 16
Enjoy the journey. Sometimes it feels like being slowly sucked into a black hole though. This hobby isn’t cheap by far!

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 16
Well, it's been a year since I purchased the Kimber Kable for my rig. I found another Kimber Kable on eBay for a decent price (1.2m, terminating in separate left and right plugs). These won't suffer from the wearing down of the coating due to movement like the other one. I'm using the other for my portable / travel system (Z1Rs, WM1A) and sticking with the other for desk setup.

Still sounds so nice - I get swept away in the evenings.

I will never part, so honey flavoured and detailed is the sound... :relieved:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back