Upgrading from Ultrasone 650's
Jun 5, 2007 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

joesmokey

Head-Fier
Posted this in the recommendations thread but I guess it'd be best in a separate thread. Anyway:

It's about that time to upgrade for me. Here's my current rig:
Headphone: Ultrasone HFI-650 Trackmasters
Amp: Xin SuperMicroIV
Source: iPod 5g
Cable: Cryo Micro Dock

Giving myself a budget of $500 for a new set of headphones and while I listen to all types of music, I mainly listen to trance and metal, so bass and a great sound from electric guitars is important.

I like my Ultrasones and love how accurate they are at reproducing sound, but accuracy gets boring sometimes and I'd love a set of cans that are fun to listen to. I'm not exactly great with the terminology, but I don't think that the 650s do a great job of reproducing highs (or maybe it's that their too bright) as there are definitely times I wince when listening to female vocals. The other main complaint I have about the 650s is with the bass. It's accurate and controlled, but it's not punchy enough for me. These are the most "audiophile" headphones I have owned and I haven't had a chance to listen to anything beyond them, so all my impressions of other phones will be from reading the forums.

Edit: I'm looking at the HD650's, K701s, and DT990s. Would these pair well with the SuperMicroIV?

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 6
Maybe you should try out the 750's. They have a great punch and a stunning bass. Very detailes, nice highs and for me fun to listen to. i have to say I haven't listened to the 650's. I forgot them on the last meet, but from what I have read they have a different sound than the 750's and as the 650's the 750's are accurate and controlled. Maybe worth to check'em out... Anyways, good luck!

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm not a HD650 user, but I've sampled it enough times to say that it would possibly "pique" your interest as much as, and maybe moreso than, a comparable Ultrasone. Take this with a grain of salt from someone who hasn't been able to find that "something special" about Ultrasones; but consider that the 650s are eminently re-sellable, and can be found on the boards regularly for around $250 or so.

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a HD650 user, but I've sampled it enough times to say that it would possibly "pique" your interest as much as, and maybe moreso than, a comparable Ultrasone. Take this with a grain of salt from someone who hasn't been able to find that "something special" about Ultrasones; but consider that the 650s are eminently re-sellable, and can be found on the boards regularly for around $250 or so.

Would the HD650's pair well with the Xin SuperMicroIV?

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 6
I have not heard them myself, but the Grado 325 or RS-2 seem like they might have some of the qualities you seek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back