Upgrading from Shure 940s. HifiMan HE500 or Shure SRH1840?
Sep 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

antikryst

100+ Head-Fier
i love my SRH940s. got them when they first came out. looking for an upgrade now... plus my 940s already have cracks on the headband. i would need to replace them as soon as they break. 

so far... thinking of a budget of around $700. narrowed down my choices to the HE500 or the 1840s.. which are spot on my budget. i believe i can audition a set of HE500s but not the 1840s. both are available locally (Philippines) but the HE500 costs almost $800 here... while the 1840s are just about $600. not too big of a problem since i can have someone get it in the US, hong kong, or singapore. (any of these 2 cheaper in HK or singapore? US prices are widely available on the web so I can check those. not sure for HK or SG prices. dont know where to look)

i listen to a wide variety of music. mostly folk, alternative, and indie. sometimes electronica or even rock... but i am in no means a bass head. i am actually fine with the bass quality and quantity of the 940s even when listening to some daft punk. looking for something more on the side of neutral with a focus on mids.

CURRENT GEAR: ipod video (4g?) -> fiio e17 or macbook -> fiio e17 -> fidelia. no plans on getting another amp yet. i listen to mostly 320 mp3/aac and FLAC/ALAC. i have a few albums from hd tracks too.

SRH1840: worried that its open. i dont mind bringing big cans. but i dont think this pair will work on a plane ride. i love how it looks though. 

HE500: worried that i wont have enough juice to drive it. anyone try it with an e17 yet? worried about comfort too. sometimes i listen for a few hours straight while at work.

im still open to other suggestions though. just looking for something that would be a good upgrade from the 940s but i believe that i have a pretty good shortlist for what im really looking for based on what i have read about both so far.

OTHER STUFF I OWNED BEFORE: shure e3c, shure e4c, shure srh440

OTHER STUFF I STILL HAVE: shure se425 (happy with it), senn px100 (good for what it is but i seldom use it anymore), westone UM1 (dont like it at all, no point in using it vs the se425s), shure SRH940

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #2 of 13
K. Just a quick note on HE500.
If you liked SRH940, you might not like HE500. HE500 has a dip on the upper mid.
I really liked SRH1840 though. While it doesn't have technical capability of HE500, it is very neutral and enjoyable. Very comfortable and well built.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 13
  K. Just a quick note on HE500.
If you liked SRH940, you might not like HE500. HE500 has a dip on the upper mid.
I really liked SRH1840 though. While it doesn't have technical capability of HE500, it is very neutral and enjoyable. Very comfortable and well built.

I've not heard either but the HE 500 needs some juice to drive, I doub't you'll have the power... still do try the Shure 1840 chances are if youu can re sell them here on head fi rather quickly if you don't like for some reason

I've also noted that I enjoy the Upgrades of headphones within companies, I like the Beyer Dt 880, I will most likely like the T90 and T1, that said you should very much enjoy the SHure 1840. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 13
I actually like various types of sound signatures. Just not something with a huge bass bloat that drowns everything else. Hopefully I can try the He500 soon. Any suggestions from AKG? That is also readily available locally.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 13
Heya,

Sounds like you're having a problem with open headphones, if you're thinking you want to take them portable on a plane. No open headphone is suitable for public use. Not only are you sharing your audio, but everyone's noise is being shared with you which takes away from your listening experience and causes you to turn up the volume to compensate. So you need to figure out if you can get a closed headphone or open headphone for primary listening. And if you just want a portable closed headphone for travel, get something less expensive for that purpose since it will be less often than your primary listening location (if you're always traveling and always on the go and not at home listening, then get a good closed back portable).

So figure out if you want a closed headphone or an open headphone and we can go from there.

Very best,

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 13
ooh. I missed the plane ride part. No orthos or open back is going to work for plane rides. Look for a closed back headphone. That means no HE-500 or SRH1840. Try buying a used TH600. It's bit bassy, but it still has stellar clarity and detail that is better than SRH940's(that's an impressive thing to do). I love the SRH940, but I also love how TH600 sounds. A very musical can.

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 13
The TH600 is about as bad as an open back for isolation, it would be terrible for planes. It is a great HP though.
Quote:
  ooh. I missed the plane ride part. No orthos or open back is going to work for plane rides. Look for a closed back headphone. That means no HE-500 or SRH1840. Try buying a used TH600. It's bit bassy, but it still has stellar clarity and detail that is better than SRH940's(that's an impressive thing to do). I love the SRH940, but I also love how TH600 sounds. A very musical can.

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 13
Planes rides aside and no upgrades for amping, go for the 1840 if you already like the 940. Although the HE500 is a better upgrade sound wise as it is so much more different than the 940 IMO. Goodluck

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #12 of 13

Two different sounding cans, I don't know if he'd like TH600. I liked 940 but doesn't care for TH600.

Sep 16, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 13

Two different sounding cans, I don't know if he'd like TH600. I liked 940 but doesn't care for TH600.

You might enjoy a fully modded Audio Technica w1000x, although it's a tad bit laid back it tightens up very nicely with again a full mod [pad swaps and Dynamt layered within the can]

I own one and I love it, great clarity and imaging, perfect bass for anything accoustic and a nice slighty forward mid prensetation. There are a number of them for sale here on head fi, about 4 last  I looked so all in all you should be able to get one, and buy either the J Money or L3000 pads all for under $500, the dynamat can be gotten from members here [I've got some lying around from when I Modded my w1k] 

I think you'd like it, but be careful as the w1000 has a nice finish you might not want to scratch lol, that and the isolation i better than open but not as good as some closed 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back