Upgrading from Hifiman Re262 for daily commute
Mar 14, 2014 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

leonrox

New Head-Fier
Hi. This is my first post on this forum.

I am looking for a new iem or portable headphone for daily commute and listening in the library. I listen to a wide genre of music: top 100, vocal, blues, jazz, classical, rap you name it.

Currently, I have a pair of Hifiman Re262. They are very musical: sufficient bass, thick midrange and sweet tremble. I plug it into my Iphone 5. They are a bit power hungry even if I add a Fiio e6. Also, I have notice the cable buzz has become more of a problem recently.

Therefore, I am looking for an upgrade. To give you some perspective of what I like and dislike:

1. Sennheiser Momentum: Have one right now but thinking about returning it. Great for club and pop. Kind of weak in vocal and makes     my hair funny.

2. AKG Q701: Great soundstage and detail but returned it because it was cold and a bit thin. Also very uncomfortable

3. Westone 4: My friend has one. Everything was okay but did not grow on me

4. AKG K550: Does everything good but nothing special

I think my ideal phone is a pair of iems: warm, slightly colored, versatile and excels in vocals.

Please recommend some iems. My budget is $500. Don't mind buying 2nd hand

Thanks
Leon

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 2
Maybe one of the new(er) HiFiMan models?  The RE-600 is supposed to have a very similar signature to the RE262...  It's a warm, sweet sound with subdued, yet detailed and smooth treble.  Another thing might be a UE 900, although it may have some build issues.  It has a very similar sound signature to the RE-600, but trades bass thickness for a little more treble quantity.  The last suggestion is a little cheaper, the ACS T15.  It's got a little more treble than the RE-600, the midrange is slightly less sweet and the bass a little thicker (same quantity though). 

I made an assumption that you're looking for IEMs, if you are not, let me know XD I will say that the K545 is supposed to be like the K550 with a bit more bass thickness and presence. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back