Upgrading from an internal sound card (T-HD) to external DAC due to ground loop - £400 budget, Recommendations please?
Oct 9, 2013 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fluidz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys, yes again heres me asking questions, one day I will be answering them 
redface.gif

My current chain =

Titanium Hd [rca] Emotiva a100 Mini [rca] Yamaha Hs80m / [speaker taps] Hifiman He-500 headphones

I'm looking to upgrade my internal sound card to an external, to eliminate ground loop, and hopefully improve my sound even further, even though i'm not complaining with the T-HD soundcard, it does a great job, but produces too much noise via Rca out.  

My budget is £400.  Any suggestions or recommendations?  Would the Arcam Irdac be a good choice? 

Oct 10, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 7
I may be able to get hold of a Musical Fidelity D1 for £255. Has Xlr outs (which means a balanced connection for the Hs80m studio monitors)

Is this a good deal guys? 

Thanks in advance!

Oct 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 7
  Hi Guys, yes again here's me asking questions, one day I will be answering them 
redface.gif

My current chain =

Titanium Hd [rca] Emotiva a100 Mini [rca] Yamaha Hs80m / [speaker taps] Hifiman He-500 headphones

I'm looking to upgrade my internal sound card to an external, to eliminate ground loop, and hopefully improve my sound even further, even though i'm not complaining with the T-HD sound card, it does a great job, but produces too much noise via Rca out.  

My budget is £400.  Any suggestions or recommendations?  Would the Arcam Irdac be a good choice? 

The Yamaha HS80Ms are self powered?
Get an Audioengine D1 external DAC/Amp.
Connect the Titanium HD to the D1 using optical, connect the D1 to the Yamaha's using RCA.
Plug the HE-500s into the D1's headphone output.

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 7
Hi PurpleAngel,

Yes the Hs80's are Active monitors, self powered. 

Thanks for making me aware of the AudioEngine D1, it does look like a good performer for the money.  Looking at the Dac chip, is it on Par on worst than the Titanium Hd? I'm hearing the 1792 and 1794 are very similar?

Titanium HD  - BB 1794
D1 - BB 1792 (roughly 150gbp)
Musical Fidelity M1 - BB 1796 (can buy for 250gbp)

Even with a 400 pound budget ($639US), would you still advise to get the D1? Does it power the He-500's on Par to the Emotiva Mini?
I've not long ago upgraded from a Fiio E9 to the Emotiva Mini, to achieve a better sound, and would rather not eliminate it unless it was an upgrade. 

Thanks for your suggestion :)

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 7

Yes the Hs80's are Active monitors, self powered. 
Thanks for making me aware of the AudioEngine D1, it does look like a good performer for the money.  Looking at the Dac chip, is it on Par on worst than the Titanium HD? I'm hearing the 1792 and 1794 are very similar?
Titanium HD  - BB 1794
D1 - BB 1792 (roughly 150gbp)
Musical Fidelity M1 - BB 1796 (can buy for 250gbp)
Even with a 400 pound budget ($639US), would you still advise to get the D1? Does it power the He-500's on Par to the Emotiva Mini?
I've not long ago upgraded from a Fiio E9 to the Emotiva Mini, to achieve a better sound, and would rather not eliminate it unless it was an upgrade. 

I was pointing out a "budget" suggestion,
(The Audioengine D1 uses the AKM4396 DAC chip, not the BB 1792 (unless I'm wrong)).
I would assume the 1792, 1794, 1796 are great DAC chips, I would assume they are better then the AKM4396, but have no facts to be able to back up that opinion.
I'm sure there is stuff better then the Audioengine D1, but I'm not sure I have a valid opinion on the higher priced stuff.
I'm currently debating at getting the Audio-GD 15.32 for my next upgrade myself.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 7
  I was pointing out a "budget" suggestion,
(The Audioengine D1 uses the AKM4396 DAC chip, not the BB 1792 (unless I'm wrong)).
I would assume the 1792, 1794, 1796 are great DAC chips, I would assume they are better then the AKM4396, but have no facts to be able to back up that opinion.
I'm sure there is stuff better then the Audioengine D1, but I'm not sure I have a valid opinion on the higher priced stuff.
I'm currently debating at getting the Audio-GD 15.32 for my next upgrade myself.

I was wrong, your were right - it doesn't use a Burr Brown Dac. I'm holding on to see what people say about the Arcam Irdac as there doesn't seem to be much talk about it just yet.  

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 7
Bought a Musical Fidelity M1 in the end. Imo A much Cleaner sound compared to the T-HD.  Connected using optical to the T-Hd so no more ground loop - which I've been battling for years.  Just need an Amp now to pair with it and my He-500's.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back