Upgrading from A5s - maybe to B&W 685 or AVI ADM9T?
Jan 6, 2011 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wlisac

New Head-Fier
I want to upgrade from my AudioEngine A5s with S8 sub to a more HiFi speaker system.  I'm not sure if I'd be better off creating my own system with an amp, external dac, passive speakers, sub... or looking for another active system like the A5s.

The speakers will be used in my bedroom with my Mac Pro.  I'd prefer to use on my desk but stands are a possibility.  Most listening will be done within a few feet from the speakers.

Here are the two options I've come up with but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

ADM9T with Sub

OR

B&W 685 (maybe CM1 but these are rear vented and might not work close to a wall)
B&W ASW610 sub
NAD c355bee amp
Audio-GD DAC19MK3

Is anyone experienced with the AVI ADM9T system?  How would the soundstage, clarity, volume, etc compare with the B&W bookshelf setup?

Thanks so much for any input!!!

Will

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #2 of 8
I had A2 for a while and was looking at a number of options to replace it. I went on auditioning active monitors and was blown away by what the "pro" monitors offer in terms of value. Dynaudio, Mackie, Focal and Adam; so many choices that sounded really good. A pair of Adam 7s (older model) plus an Adam sub can be had for a reasonable price. I ended up getting the smaller A3x because of space issues. They are front ported. Just really great midrange and clear highs; Audioengines just seem so muddy in comparison, though of course, they are cheaper.

(Sorry that I didn't directly address the options you have)

Jan 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the quick reply.  I've been told to look at A7s and other studio monitors by some and others say monitors are critical and not very "musical".  I'll just have to listen for myself.

Could the 685s or CM1s be used practically for "nearfield listening" on a desk?  I'm not working in a studio - I just want' beautiful HiFi sound at around $2,000 or so for the complete package.

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Could the 685s or CM1s be used practically for "nearfield listening" on a desk?  I'm not working in a studio - I just want' beautiful HiFi sound at around $2,000 or so for the complete package.  

Well do you need active or passive speakers? Since you have A5s, I was assuming you'd need new actives. For actives, a lot of those monitors are just so much better than AEs. Then again you may want to change your setup to include amp, etc. And placement/room/location is also important. I chose the Adams as they can be placed close to the wall and my ears are like 20 inches away.

Regarding the sound it could become pretty subjective too. Personally, I am not that impressed with B&W in terms of the value they offer, but then again a lot would disagree. Auditioning, unfortunately becomes key.

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 8
I'm completely open to passive or active :)

I just wonder how well speakers like B&W 685, Monitor Audio GS10, or ONIX Ref 1 will work for nearfield listening - for pure musical enjoyment; not studio work.

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 8
Never regretted upgrading to Focal CMS40.

May 29, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
I'm completely open to passive or active :)

I just wonder how well speakers like B&W 685, Monitor Audio GS10, or ONIX Ref 1 will work for nearfield listening - for pure musical enjoyment; not studio work.

I have the B&W 685 set up a nearfield speakers right now, they are separated 86cm apart tweeter to tweeter with an LCD monitor in between. with me seated at the equilateral point (sweet spot) from the tweeters, it just doesn't sound as good significantly compared to having them on stands and about 2m apart. the dynamics and details are still there but the imaging really suffers. it still is good but having heard them perched atop stands it just doesn't compare. also, having them very close to the listener creates a volume problem. even on minimal volume they sound real loud. my amp is just a Cambridge Audio P500 65W, but it's so loud up this close.I'm having my stands being made that's why they are set up nearfield for now. I do not suggest them to be used this way. they have better potential on stands. at least according to my ears :)

hope this helps. my room is 5x5m with wood paneling. have them about 8 inches off the wall. I just love them for female vocals :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back