Upgrading from a K701
Aug 10, 2009 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

joesmokey

Head-Fier
I'm interested in purchasing new headphones after using my AKG K701s for the past ~two years. The AKG's currently go through a Heed CanAmp connected to a SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium. For my portable phones I also have a SuperMicro IV.

I'm thinking about the HD650's as they've always interested me. Would they be a good fit with the Heed CanAmp, or is that not a recommended match? Would the difference going from a K701 to a HD650 be great enough to warrant the purchase (I don't have the most analytical ears)? I plan on keeping my K701s and not selling them.

Budget-wise the HD650's are probably the max I'm willing to spend, so anything under $400. I'm also not really looking for anything particular in terms of sound.

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 21
Have you heard the 650, personally?

K701 ... HD650

^Quite the difference in sound signatures. I'd make sure you would really like that particular headphone before taking such a plunge. Granted, you're keeping the K701, but you still might want to see if there's a meet coming up in your area, or a fellow member in the area that owns a pair of 650s, so that you can try them out with your gear.

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 21
You can get a companion to go with the K701, Try the RS-1, or some of the GMPs hps.
The 650 are not upgrade to the 701, they are downgrade.
smile.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get a companion to go with the K701, Try the RS-1, or some of the GMPs hps.
The 650 are not upgrade to the 701, they are downgrade.
smile.gif

I believe between these two headphones, it's all in personal taste. This is, of course, subject to your source and I do not own a CanAmp for comparison purposes.

I personally own both and will probably end up selling the K701s. They're just not for me, while the HD650 most definitely is. Demo them on your equipment if you can and make your decision from there!

I hope this helps!

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 21
dt880 600ohm, they gave me more overall pleasure than the k701's, i find them to be a more balanced can...

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonanimal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe between these two headphones, it's all in personal taste. This is, of course, subject to your source and I do not own a CanAmp for comparison purposes.

I personally own both and will probably end up selling the K701s. They're just not for me, while the HD650 most definitely is. Demo them on your equipment if you can and make your decision from there!

I hope this helps!

lol, the missing link between the 701 and the 650 are the HD-800.

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Musical tastes?

Pretty much anything which is why I didn't specify that I'm looking for a particular sound, just maybe something a little different.

If I had to pick a single genre it would probably be electronica, although I'm happy with the bass provided by the K701s so I don't need something with booming bass.

Maybe I'm using the term upgrade here in the wrong setting, as I'm more just looking for a different sound than what the K701s are offering.

Aug 11, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #12 of 21
If you're going to get the hd650 do not drive it with the heed...I did and it was absolutely the muddiest, bassiest, most unlistenable audio I've ever heard but the hd650 was amazing with a nice SS amp like the GS-1 or the gilmore lite or even the AE-2....DO NOT USE THE HEED CAN AMP TO DRIVE THE HD650s.

I do think with one of the aforementioned amps the hd650 was a nice contrast to the crisp, clean and somewhat analytical k701s....but I moved to the hd800 and the 650 had no place in my stable next to the mighty might hd800s!

Good Luck!

IMHO, of course and my experience.

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #13 of 21
I have not heard them but many have felt the AD2000 are a worthy upgrade for about $400 used.

The 650s are darker than the 600s. Both sound great with high quality amps. The 650s would be more different from the 701s than the 600s but the 600s are going for about $200 used. The HD650s are $250-300 used.

The RS-1s are a nice compliment as it does the things that the 701s lack. They are a rock phone that pronounces the guitar and gives an upfront and on stage presentation. They will be more than $400 unless you can find a deal. They typically go for $450-500 used.

All are in that realm of quality mid fi headphones for your price range.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #14 of 21
The HD 650, 600, etc is a serious DOWNGRADE from the AKGs.

at least if you like reality...

the HDs are bright, etched sounding, and not at all as natural.

same with the 800s. super "hifi" sounding , very, very unnatural presentation. No thanks!

Keep the AKGs and switch amps. Youve got one of the best pairs of cans going...seriously, Why change? I have owned the HDs and AKG both for several years. I will tell you without any shred of doubt the AKGs are much, much better.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #15 of 21
Not true.

I had the heed canamp + K701 for 2 years.

I swapped out to a DA10 + Auditor + HD800 and I consider it to be more natural sounding than the K701. I actually think the HD800 sounds closer to a K701 than a HD650, and was a natural progression for me.

The HD800 is a warmer, more analytical K701, that doesn't need warm amps to sound good like the K701.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD 650, 600, etc is a serious DOWNGRADE from the AKGs.

at least if you like reality...

the HDs are bright, etched sounding, and not at all as natural.

same with the 800s. super "hifi" sounding , very, very unnatural presentation. No thanks!

Keep the AKGs and switch amps. Youve got one of the best pairs of cans going...seriously, Why change? I have owned the HDs and AKG both for several years. I will tell you without any shred of doubt the AKGs are much, much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back