Upgrading Computer Speakers
Feb 1, 2014 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

hortoholic

100+ Head-Fier
I know, it's been a while since i posted anything here. I was busy with school/work so I haven't had much time to do much. I was considering putting in some decent sound to my computer. I have as of right now, (get ready to laugh.. ) a pair of Creative SBS20's. Being the poor sap I am, i decide to hop on craigslist to search for some deals. First, a little about my environment. it's a small room about 12x12 or so. Noise level is moderate I have fish tank running in the background but mostly quiet. So i can see that it's already not fit for a 10k system
smile.gif
. I am looking for a speaker system with clear lows, mids and highs. An all around good speaker. I am not sure if I need studio monitors or bookshelf speakers. I am looking for a speaker that could fill up the room nicely. From my understanding, the only reason I am not cosidering the studio monitors is that they are for recording studio and a near field speakers so i should be close when listening. I don't necessarily have to be sitting at my computer for optimal sound. My max budget for such a system is about 200. I found:

-Mirage M-90i's - $95
-Infinity SM102 - $100
-Tannoy Reveal 6 Studio Monitors - $200
-Paradigm 3SE - $150

I really liked M-audio, but as I said, it's a studio monitor so I am not sure if that would fit my needs. Also, It should be easy to connect to my computer as I am you could say electronically challenged... I have the 1/8 jack but can just pick up an adapter if need be. Most Importantly, are the fair prices and I am getting i good deal? or Is the something else I should consider? I just found a 1/8 jack to RCA so if it has those connections, it would be easier.
Would greatly apreciate your input.

hortoholic

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 2
The first thing to consider when you're choosing between active and passive speakers is space, particularly on your desk. Active speakers have amps built into the speaker enclosures already, and they are not always that much larger than passive speakers. However, studio monitors are designed symmetrically - each speaker has its own amp, and that requires independent power cables running to your surge protector, a  cable from your source or DAC/soundcard running to the left and to the right speaker, and a preamp unit (can be built into the DAC or external soundcard/audio interface, or even a headphone amp) since each speaker has an independent gain knob. Some also use only balanced XLR or TRS inputs, so that necessitates an audio interface that has such connections. An active speaker designed for home audio use typically have a master and a slave speaker - the former has the amp, inputs, and single volume knob built into it, and just runs a speaker cable going to the other speaker. Passive speakers meanwhile will require a separate amplifier, which may or may not have space elsewhere on your desk.

The simplest set-up then, especially if you have a good enough soundcard, is to use a consumer-grade active monitor rather than a pro-grade studio monitor. Look into the Swans D1080MkIV, D1010, or the M100.
http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/products.aspx?cid=5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back