Upgrading amp or source?
Mar 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

thesuperguy

100+ Head-Fier
I had recently purchased some RE262s with an impedance of 150 ohms and have been interested in upgrading from my E6 to an E11 because of the higher power output and improved performance. However, I had also read recently that you should have a good source before bothering with amps and I'm just wondering if I'm better off upgrading to a source with a better DAC than my ipod touch 4g, or if the ipod was sufficient and purchasing the amp would do me better. Chances are, I'm most likely going to purchase the amp regardless because of the convenience of my ipod touch over more dedicated music players, but I would just like a more informed opinion in case it leads me to not purchasing the E11 at all.

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
I had recently purchased some RE262s with an impedance of 150 ohms and have been interested in upgrading from my E6 to an E11 because of the higher power output and improved performance. However, I had also read recently that you should have a good source before bothering with amps and I'm just wondering if I'm better off upgrading to a source with a better DAC than my ipod touch 4g, or if the ipod was sufficient and purchasing the amp would do me better. Chances are, I'm most likely going to purchase the amp regardless because of the convenience of my ipod touch over more dedicated music players, but I would just like a more informed opinion in case it leads me to not purchasing the E11 at all.

Nothing wrong with the iTouch, as long as you are using an LOD. If you aren't, your first thing is to pick one up. They have them on Amazon. FiiO makes some good ones-pick whichever one the design is most convienient for you. After that, an amp upgrade is fine. The E11 is one option-if you can stretch your budget on that, I'd go for a C&C BH-better SQ and the battery life blows the E11 away. (BH can run for around 80 hours) If you can't get $100 together for that, JDS labs Cmoy BB could be an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back