Upgrades for 20-year-old Sony turntable?
Aug 9, 2008 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Alpha 60

New Head-Fier
A few years ago my parents gave me their old stereo system. It's all Sony components (that I assume are all mid-level) manufactured between 1988-1990. The turntable model is PS-LX430. I have a few 180 and 200-gram Blue Note/Prestige reissues that sound really good to me on the turntable.

Since I don't have an ear for what optimal vinyl playback should sound like, I feel like I should just go with the "ignorance is bliss" outlook. However, I am curious if a simple modification like a new cartridge would offer significant listening benefits. Mom and Dad never played a single record on the turntable, so the original cartridge is in great shape. If I were to try new cartridges, does anyone know of any recommendations that would work with the existing tone arm? Thanks in advance for helping a vinyl newb out!

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 5
I could be wrong on this but I was under the impression that cartridges are only good for 5-10 years even not used as the insides begin to seize up. This may only be moving coils however. I would advise in any case that you get someone familiar with turntables to come and make sure it is set up properly and give it the once over generally. Anything mechanical that hasn't been used for a number of years can have problems.

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 5
Noticed they have the manual for your deck over at the Vinyl Engine:

Sony PS-LX430 | Manual Free Download, Turntable owners,service,schematics,brochure | Vinyl Engine

I'd download it and follow all the service instructions. Give it a new belt, change the bearing oil, and it wouldn't hurt to add a new cartridge if you don't know how old/worn the current one is. Also, spend some time on cartridge alignment. That should pay off with good sound - if you already enjoy the way it sounds, do the maintenance, dial it in, and keep using it.

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 5
a_60: Well, you could upgrade the needle on that rebadged AT cart to an ATN3472SE/ATN311EP. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend to spend a lot on it, 'cause the PS-LX430 is just entry level class (not junk/toy class like e.g. a Sony PS-J20, but decent entry level class like a Technics SL-BD20).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back